07 recall for pinion seals (longish but funny)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 07 recall for pinion seals (longish but funny) in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I phone up my local Cadillac dealer at 2.00 pm today (Thursday) to have the recall done . Can ...
    King3244 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

07 recall for pinion seals (longish but funny)

So I phone up my local Cadillac dealer at 2.00 pm today (Thursday) to have the recall done .

Can you bring it in right now says the service rep...the boys in the shop are standing around with their thumbs in their..........well never mind.

No says I ......the wife has it out shopping this afternoon....I'm just calling to see if you have the parts.

Bring it in tomorrow in the morning says he.

The little lady gets home at 4.00 and I phone the service rep back....can I bring it in now?

No....we are only open for another hour and it is a 3 hour job (awd).

I know that I said...... I just thought if you had it today you could start tomorrow morning!

Oh....good idea he says. (no kidding)

Where do they get these people...rejects from airport security jobs?

So I take it in.

When I get there the service rep says....(get this) I don't know if I can give you a loaner on a recall!!!!

WHAT?????

(where do they get these people?)

Excuse me I say (quietly) it is a GM recall.

Well he says we don't have the parts and we don't want to pay for a rental loaner over the weekend if we can't get it done. (refer to bold, italic, underlined phrase above)

That is PRECISELY why I called before I brought it in I say!

So after much phoning and talking and getting the service manager involved they can get the parts and they send me over to Enterprise to get my loaner. (this is now 45 minutes later).

A PONTIAC Grand Prix!!!!....... A PONTIAC! They give me a bloody Pontiac as a loaner for my SRX.

Never and I mean NEVER have I ever got anything other than a Cadillac loaner.

If it wasn't so funny (in retrospect) I would be thoroughly p.o.ed

I mean....hey....lets see....we have 10,000 cars in our area that fit this recall and there are 10 dealers.....maybe we should bring in enough parts at least in the area to service 5000 cars and then work from there.

LOL.....I am not looking for any responses I just needed to get this off my chest.....phew.....thank you.

Hopefully it will come back to me in one piece tomorrow.

North

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Base 2007 Escalade EXT, 04 Cadillac SRX V8

Re: 07 recall for pinion seals (longish but funny)

Haha. Some people are just too serviceminded....what dealership is this?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Wow, that is not good.
    You are entitled to get a Cadi loaner, unless Enterprise is out of them... then they can only give you what they have.
    Sorry to hear about those problems. Hopefully the tech will do the recall properly.
    The AWD ones are not much fun, I did one yesterday... since we had the parts in stock

RobVuk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX V8 AWD Sport

My wife took ours in for service. 08 V8 Sport package. They gave her a silver DTS, nice car but. She was so embarrassed to drive it, she cut her day short and came home. Everywhere she went she saw someone else in a similar vehicle that was driven by people over 90 years old. She was with a couple of friends and they actually started ducking when they saw anyone they knew. She would have rather had the Pontiac Grand Prix.

RobVuk.....LOL.

I know what you mean! Every time I get a loaner I always ask for a CTS or an STS but all they ever have is the DTS. The first thing I do is put the seat all the way to the bottom so that I can just see over the dash......LOL!

As to the loaner.....the girl said that she needed two hours lead time to ensure a DTS. The Grand Prix is actually a very nice little car and I will basically drive it home and then back to pick up my car. It was just the last little piece of this debacle.

As an aside...my old car was an 04 SRX V-8, this one is the V-6 and I find that it handles and rides more like a car than a truck...if you know what I mean?

I will refrain from mentioning the dealers name as he is really quite good....I will however make sure that I get a different service adviser next time. I usually always go to a pretty young lady but this guy answered her phone for some reason and I just went along for the ride.....LOL.

Ewill3rd, what are the requirements for a service adviser?

Got it back yesterday afternoon and all is well

Most service advisors are required to have a pulse... some are required to fail an IQ test.

Ours are pretty good for the most part.

The real issue is management though, if there are problems with the advisors the manager should take care of it.

Maxrx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

good read, but I have a question.

I just got this recall notice in the mail. Assuming the SRX does not have a leak, how can one prove that the replaced the seals and such. As to say you bring the car in to the dealer, they take it and call you in a few hours saying it's ready when in fact they didn't replace anything.

RobVuk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX V8 AWD Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrx7 View Post
    good read, but I have a question.

I just got this recall notice in the mail. Assuming the SRX does not have a leak, how can one prove that the replaced the seals and such. As to say you bring the car in to the dealer, they take it and call you in a few hours saying it's ready when in fact they didn't replace anything.
    If it's a recall, it's a safety issue and they would be taking on a HUGE responsibility if anything went wrong. i wouldn't worry about that.

I agree.....I wouldn't worry about it either especially at a dealer shop....now some aftermarket places that I know you might have a case.

There is a visible difference between the original seal setup and the replacement.
    If you can get under the car and inspect the differentials you can see whether it has the new parts on it or not.
    I'll post a photo of before and after if you guys want.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

If there isn't any visible signs of a leak, is the differential gear oil changed as part of the recall?

When the seal is removed from the housing some fluid is lost.
    The fluid that is lost will be replenished but to answer your question, no the fluid is not "changed".

bigdaddysrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

n7,
    I did not have any drips on my garage floor...but the weepage was found during a routine oil change. Dealer replaced both seals and new fluids. I will do my own inspection after the weather changes and I can get under the SRX without the salt, snow, ice, etc that we have here in Michigan.
    Kind regards,
    BD

Here is what the updated seal looks like.
    You might notice the silver flange on the yoke, that is the primary difference. The factory seal has no such shield.
    It is a plain seal and the yoke just goes into it.
    This design has a darker color recessed seal and a flange on the yoke to deflect dirt and debris to protect the seal.
    It should be easy to tell new/old by simply looking.

This vehicle has a support on the nose of the diff so that might look different (it is a CTS-V)
    I haven't cleaned it all off yet after the service either so sorry about the mess.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.