Oil Consumption
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    Bcce787 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oil Consumption

I briefly looked to see if I could find the same topic but couldn’t so I apologize if this is a duplicate.
    I have a 2005 SRX and am quite disappointed with it. I have been following the owner's manual and changing the oil as required and it has been averaging about 5 to 7k miles. However I am finding that in-between oil changes I am 2 to 3 quarts low. I accomplished an oil consumption check with my dealer's service dept and was told that I was consuming ½ to ¾ of a quart of oil every 1000 miles. This, I was also told, was normal according to GM. I can't see that as realistic, I have a 97 Ford P/U with 140k miles that doesn’t use that much oil. I don’t have any leaks with the SRX either. Does anyone have any thoughts or information about this?
    Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Re: Oil Consumption

I cannot see how they can call this normal oil consumption. I had V6 '04 and '05 and never had to add oil. Same is true of '07 V8. On '04 went to 12,000 miles and did not have to add any oil.

Thats what I said but I'm just the customer, what do I know. I was told by their service tech that since they are building the engines so loose to gain better mileage they will burn more oil. I guess I had my stupid sign on that day.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Is it an 8 or a 6? Northstars are known to burn some. My 01 N* burns a bit. It always has. Though , my SRX, not a drop in 11K miles of use. Oil in SRX was mobil 1 and changed every 6k miles.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

In the recent past I recall GM's definition of excessive oil comsumption is 2 qts or more in 2000 miles. My guess the dealer can't get reimbursed unless there is documentation oil comsumption is excessive per GM's definition. This is probably GM's way of drawing a line in the sand to say we won't pay for repairs unless comsumption is greater than a certain amount BUT to say it's normal is not correct in my opinion.
    If "loose tolerances" were the culprit that would imply a much higher percentage of the popluation would be oil burners. Like the other posters none of my GM vehicle come close to using even a qt/5000 miles. I'm still using 5W-30 in the 95 S10 @111K but I know that anything mechanical is built to a tolerance. If those tolerances line up wrong excessive clearance can and do happen.
    Has it gotten worse with mileage/time? At 3/4 qt/1000 miles you are getting close, assuming the 2qt/2000 is still the magic number. I'd ask the dealer to see the actual GM document stating what he told you.

pepsi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Document ID# 823067
    2005 Cadillac SRX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil Consumption Diagnosis

DEFINITION: Excessive oil consumption (not due to leaks) is the use of 0.946 liter (1 quart) or more of engine oil within 3 200 km (2,000 mi).

srx2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 AWD; 2000 Eldorado ETC

2005 V6 AWD 32K miles. Uses about 1/4 - 1/2 quart between oil/filter changes - every 6K miles. Using Mobil 1 5W30.

I can understand 1/4 to 1/2 every 6k but I lost that after 1k. Guess all I can do now is have a few extra quarts laying around the garage and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the replies

akdj1055 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Bcce787 - Just to make you feel better, my '05 V-6 SRX, with 38,000 miles, burns a quart every 1,000 miles or so. Cadillac's response has been - "too bad." They readily admit it consumes more oil than their own spec's say it should (per their own test) and in the next breath claim there is nothing wrong with the engine. How f'ed up is that? This is the same Cadillac that lied to me when my Ultra View shattered and they claimed an Ultra View had never shattered before - mine was the first. I had to pick up the nearly $5,000 repair. A year later, after a NHTSA investigation, it came out that at least 17 other Ultra Views failed before mine - many repaired under warranty. Cadillac won't talk to me about that.
    Their remedy for the engine problem - they've extended the engine warranty. And this may sound hard to believe, but that's done absolutely nothing to slow the oil consumption.

King3244 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

GM'S definition of excessive oil consumption is...... more than 1 quart in 800 miles....not as stated by pepsi. Check the tsb's....

The acceptable rate of oil consumption IS NOT 1 quart in 800 miles.

Per GM, the acceptable rate of oil consumption in most GM vehicles under warranty is 1 quart in 2,000 miles. Which by simple deduction would mean anything beyond a quart in 2,000 miles is unacceptable - unless you're GM and you don't want to fix an expensive problem. Then you can just intrepret the spec's however you want. And suddenly a warranty is no longer a warranty - it's whatever GM wants it to be. And they wonder why they lose market share every year.

I stand by what I said....GM will not even look at excessive oil consumption unless it is greater than 1 quart in 800 miles.
    There is a difference between acceptable and excessive by definition.

If that's the case, what's the point of publishing the quart in 2,000 miles standard?

Their own guideline recommends following service manual diagnostics to access potential avenues for repair. Nowhere is it stated that 800 miles becomes the next standard - though that sounds very "GM" to me.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bcce787 View Post
    Thats what I said but I'm just the customer, what do I know. I was told by their service tech that since they are building the engines so loose to gain better mileage they will burn more oil. I guess I had my stupid sign on that day.
    Can a 10:1 compression like the N* be built loose?
    I do remember the 70's Dodge SuperBee's were said to use a quart a 100 miles due to looseness. That smoke on launch wasn't just the tires.

acceptable:capable of being endured; tolerable; bearable: acceptable levels of radiation (or oil consumption)

excessive:going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree; characterized by excess: excessive charges; excessive criticism. (or oil consumption....)

To me, acceptable oil consumption is a lot less than 1 quart in 2000 miles in fact I would feel that if I had a vehicle using that much oil that it would be excessive.

I guess we should set some parameters here.....I am talking about the N* in particular and not other gm brands of engines. I used to own an 94 STS so used to hang out on the seville/eldorado forum prior to finding life with an SRX....V-6 by the way. There were numerous loooooong discussions over there on N* oil consumption. Go to cadillac forums home page and click on technical archives and then oil consumption. One of the guys did quite a piece on N* oil consumption....now I don't know if I agree about everything he says but there is a bunch of info there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.