Oil Consumption - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by PJ1520 RLH.........how far along are you with the oil consumption test with the dealer? If you need ...
    rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Re: Oil Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    RLH.........how far along are you with the oil consumption test with the dealer? If you need help getting the mileage requirement to the finish line, just loan me your SRX and I will have it taken care of pronto.

PJ
    They have it now. I'll see what they say when I get it back. My airbox it warped and is letting unfiltered air into the engine, just like the TSB says can happen. Hopefully they will just go ahead and rebuild the upper end.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post
    My airbox it warped and is letting unfiltered air into the engine, just like the TSB says can happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    There is no design flaw in the LY7. If broken in properly, and serviced properly, it will last hundreds of thousands of miles without major issues and no abnormal oil consumption.

<SNIP>

Second, if you don't properly service the air filter, it will allow dirt into the engine and prematurely wear the oil control rings.

<SNIP>
    Hmmm.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

I agree...there is no design flaw as far as oil consumption other than failing to break the engine in properly. You must drive fairly aggressivly during the first 400-500 miles for the rings to seat or chances are they never will.

The timing chain design has been addressed and if not run low on oil and full syn used AFTER the breakin, then these are like any other motor.

As for the Fords, we see excess consumption on them as well as Chrysler if babied like the owners manual directs.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    But why should the owner of a new $50k truck have to or even think about breaking the motor in is my question? This is something that should have been done on an engine stand before installing into the vehicle. Never heard of this issue with a new honda.

They shouldn't....thats where I am at odds with the manufacturers. If they would let the engineers write the owners manual instead of legal and accounting, much of this would never be an issue. The cost to break in ahead of time is to great so dont expect that, and just spinning it before installing in the chassis wont do it all, the rings need the pressures of running to correctly seat. Most all imprts have the issue as well, but not nearly to the extent of the domestics. Why, I am not sure, but drain the syn oil and break it in with a good conventionals and drain and fill at 1k miles with full syn AFTER the rings have seated properly almost always avoids the issue.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Never heard of this issue with a new honda.
    Someone once told me Mr. Honda started out making piston rings, his company was called Tokai Seiki, and that is one place where they excel.
    I had a 2004 Saturn Vue with the Honda V6 engine, and the oil in that engine was CLEAN at 5000 miles, unlike any other car I've ever had.
    Also the tailpipe was very clean with almost no carbon.
    Very impressive stuff in my view.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

There's been much discussion about break-in. Honestly I just drove the SRX "normally" and didn't read the Owner's Manual... maybe even made a few WOT's but I'm of the opinion the break-in is as much for the axle is it is for engine break-in. The wording in the manual says the following:
    New Vehicle Break-In
    Notice: Your vehicle does not need an
    elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in
    the long run if you follow these guidelines
    for the first 500 miles (805 km):
    • Do not drive at any one constant speed,
    fast or slow.
    • Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
    • Do not make full-throttle starts; also refrain
    from using the full throttle while driving.
    Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow,
    the vehicle.

Oil consumption is nil between oil changes (as measured by the dipstick) and I'm at 54000 miles.

Yeah i read that too but who buys a new vehicle and and should have to baby it right off the lot that makes no sense as a consumer and as a mechanic. Thats like buying a corvette and being told you cant use all 500hp.

Never heard of this issue with a new honda.
    Oh, please. http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsu...action-lawsuit

----------

Seriously, people, get a grip.

Porsche: http://porkyoilissue.blogspot.com

Mercedes: http://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-t...nsumption.html

BMW: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1745524

This might help: http://tinyurl.com/bzdmme7

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    However, customer satisfaction issues have arisen because owners and dealers think they can substitute their own judgement for the factory's.
    Thats like buying a corvette and being told you cant use all 500hp.

I think the drivers in these NSFW(L) videos wish they had listened to the factory's instructions on using all "500hp" of their Corvettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq7hLDLgzsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVv5T4_wDLc

All modern engines have this issue if babied during breakin (the majority at least....some luck out).

We build motors for everything from hyudai's to ferarri's and see ring seat issues.

The axles, trans, etc need no break in. The ring & pinons need 2-3 heat cycles, and thats it.....everything else is as good as it gets (besides rings) in todays cars & light trucks. Anything else that is going to fail under normal to hard use right away had a material defect and would have just been prolonged.

[QUOTE="ktr-sb;3218220"]

Oh, please. [URL="http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1713-honda-accord-oil-defect-class-action-lawsuit"]http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1713-honda-accord-oil-defect-class-act
    Sounds like these trucks. Why no lawsuit against gm?

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

I have just spent about an hour and a half reading every post in this particular thread. From what I have gotten out of this thread is that the LY7 engine is particularly sensitive during the break-in period to determine how oil consumption will be affected? So unless we bought our SRX's new we are at the mercy of how the first owner broke their car in? And those of us who buy an SRX that is beyond it's 100k mileage are SOL to get this excessive consumption issue fixed on GM's dime? I guess, in another way we are then also at the previous owner's mercy in that we hope that they had the foresight to get GM to take care of the issue while still under warranty, if the consumption was particularly bad? Has anyone as yet answered the issue if this oil consumption problem gets progressively or exponentially worse as these vehicles get older? A lot of questions. I won't find adding a quart of oil or so at various intervals disturbing. What does bother me are some of the stories on this forum where the vehicle suddenly has very little to no oil in the crankcase with no sign of leakage? That to me sounds like a horror story.. and is that where all these excessively oil burning engines will be going to one day - suddenly having no oil or very little in it? How many SRX owners actually do carry cases of oil in their storage bins, since if the "no oil" problem happens unexpectedly that is what the engine would need.

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

*bump*

Quote Originally Posted by TimRSRX777 View Post
    So unless we bought our SRX's new we are at the mercy of how the first owner broke their car in?
    This is true for any vehicle you buy used, certified or not. And not just how it was broken in, but also how often the oil was changed, what kind of oil was used, if it was run low on oil, if it was overheated . . . there are a lot of ways a previous owner can screw up a car. Like I said, I remember a time when people knew that and manned up when their used car crapped out on them. This is why it is important to personally check out a vehicle, and look for clues like other wear and tear, stains in seats and carpets, cleanliness under seats, brands of replacement tires and other parts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TimRSRX777 View Post
    What does bother me are some of the stories on this forum where the vehicle suddenly has very little to no oil in the crankcase with no sign of leakage?
    About the only way to suddenly lose all your oil with no sign of leakage is to put a hole in the oil pan with a rock or the crankcase with a rod. These reports of finding no oil in the engine are from people who don't check their oil often enough. It doesn't sound like that's going to be your problem.

tig488 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

im not too worried about the oil consumption of these cars. i also have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi. i use 8 qts of Mobil 1 5W20 in it and when i change oil i only get around 5 qts out so im losing ~3 qts every change. i change my SRX oil last weekend and its losing ~2 qts every change. oh yeah, the Jeep has 130000 miles on it, BTW, but has lost a couple of qts for as long as i remember. my SRX has 60000, if i can get 130000 miles out of it ill be happy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.