Oil Consumption - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; i stand by what you wrote also...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Oil Consumption

i stand by what you wrote also

jeteye97 and jeteye97 like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

I mean no disrespect toward anyone. And I am sensitive to folk's concerns and continuing intense interest with this GenI SRX LY7 V6 oil consumption topic in this forum over the years, and continuing.

I would not be overjoyed at oil consumption in the "one added quart in the 1,500-2,000 mile range." On the flip side I would not overwhelmed by it. Granted, many here might consider that checking the motor oil level (more) frequently is a tad inconvenient as is adding, say, a quart every 3-4 tanks of gas. I check my motor oil frequently anyway because that is the way I was brought up. Same with the snowblower and the lawn mower.

But if the LY7 V6 engine was otherwise operating well (strong, no hiccups), the fuel mileage was up to snuff, and the oil consumption had stabilized and was not getting any worse, I would not be obsessing over it.

Let's look at the incremental cost to have to add a quart every 1,500 miles. Assuming $8 per quart for Mobil 1 (?!), that's an additional annual maintenance expense of (10 quarts x $8 per quart) $80 for the 15,000 miles driven. Less than peanuts. A grain of sand in the desert. Not worthy of a single thought......considering the total annual cost of vehicle ownership (depreciation, financing, insurance, maintenance, off-warranty repairs, tires, registration, excise taxes, etc.)

Relatively speaking......lets look at the annual cost of fuel and assume we are spending too much on it and want to save $80 next year.

Assume you average 17mpg over 15,000 miles driven. You would consume 882 gallons of fuel. At $4 per gallon (because we all burn premium and only use top tier fuel, right?), you would spend $3,530 total in annual fuel expense. To spend only $3450 in fuel, and save that same $80 amount you wasted on the incremental oil consumption (above), you could:

(A) Use 20 gallons less in fuel (2.3%) over the year by improving your fuel economy 2.3% or .4 mpg (four tenths) over the 17mpg.......to 17.4mpg.

or

(B) Switch gas stations/octane to drop your per gallon fuel price 2.3% from $4.00 to $3.91 per gallon.

Would any of us give much thought to either (A) or (B)? I suspect not. I am not about to go looking for six tenths of a mile per gallon improvement on my fuel economy any more than I will kill myself to save nine cents a gallon looking for gas. There are much bigger fish to fry when looking for "impact" ways to reduce the costs of vehicle ownership on a car we already have and want to keep, or ways we CAN control to prolong vehicle life.

In conclusion, from a practical standpoint given the above, I cannot understand the serious consternation over the higher oil consumption. It certainly isn't over the incremental cost of the motor oil. And certainly not primarily over the minor inconvenience checking and adding once over the course of a month or so.

So what is it?

Is it concern over possible shortened engine life (unknown, no one I am aware of on the forum with 2004 V6s has stated that was their experience)? Is it over declining practical performance (no one with high oil consumption has mentioned that either)? "Runs great, fuel mileage unaffected."

PJ

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

PJ, you put too much thought into this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    I mean no disrespect toward anyone. And I am sensitive to folk's concerns and continuing intense interest with this GenI SRX LY7 V6 oil consumption topic in this forum over the years, and continuing.

I would not be overjoyed at oil consumption in the "one added quart in the 1,500-2,000 mile range." On the flip side I would not overwhelmed by it. Granted, many here might consider that checking the motor oil level (more) frequently is a tad inconvenient as is adding, say, a quart every 3-4 tanks of gas. I check my motor oil frequently anyway because that is the way I was brought up. Same with the snowblower and the lawn mower.

But if the LY7 V6 engine was otherwise operating well (strong, no hiccups), the fuel mileage was up to snuff, and the oil consumption had stabilized and was not getting any worse, I would not be obsessing over it.

Let's look at the incremental cost to have to add a quart every 1,500 miles. Assuming $8 per quart for Mobil 1 (?!), that's an additional annual maintenance expense of (10 quarts x $8 per quart) $80 for the 15,000 miles driven. Less than peanuts. A grain of sand in the desert. Not worthy of a single thought......considering the total annual cost of vehicle ownership (depreciation, financing, insurance, maintenance, off-warranty repairs, tires, registration, excise taxes, etc.)

Relatively speaking......lets look at the annual cost of fuel and assume we are spending too much on it and want to save $80 next year.

Assume you average 17mpg over 15,000 miles driven. You would consume 882 gallons of fuel. At $4 per gallon (because we all burn premium and only use top tier fuel, right?), you would spend $3,530 total in annual fuel expense. To spend only $3450 in fuel, and save that same $80 amount you wasted on the incremental oil consumption (above), you could:

(A) Use 20 gallons less in fuel (2.3%) over the year by improving your fuel economy 2.3% or .4 mpg (four tenths) over the 17mpg.......to 17.4mpg.

or

(B) Switch gas stations/octane to drop your per gallon fuel price 2.3% from $4.00 to $3.91 per gallon.

Would any of us give much thought to either (A) or (B)? I suspect not. I am not about to go looking for six tenths of a mile per gallon improvement on my fuel economy any more than I will kill myself to save nine cents a gallon looking for gas. There are much bigger fish to fry when looking for "impact" ways to reduce the costs of vehicle ownership on a car we already have and want to keep, or ways we CAN control to prolong vehicle life.

In conclusion, from a practical standpoint given the above, I cannot understand the serious consternation over the higher oil consumption. It certainly isn't over the incremental cost of the motor oil. And certainly not primarily over the minor inconvenience checking and adding once over the course of a month or so.

So what is it?

Is it concern over possible shortened engine life (unknown, no one I am aware of on the forum with 2004 V6s has stated that was their experience)? Is it over declining practical performance (no one with high oil consumption has mentioned that either)? "Runs great, fuel mileage unaffected."

PJ
    I will tell you what it is. My SRX is a 2009, NOT a 1969. It is completely unacceptable that a modern engine would use oil at a rate that these do. I have experience with many other OE engines and they DO NOT consume oil at the rate that these do. GM knows that they have an issue with these motors. There are service bulletins and extended warranties that GM has put out to directly address the issues that they know they have with these motors. They cannot wait until ALL warranty is expired in these so they can wash their hands of this mistake.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post
    I will tell you what it is. My SRX is a 2009, NOT a 1969. It is completely unacceptable that a modern engine would use oil at a rate that these do. I have experience with many other OE engines and they DO NOT consume oil at the rate that these do. GM knows that they have an issue with these motors. There are service bulletins and extended warranties that GM has put out to directly address the issues that they know they have with these motors. They cannot wait until ALL warranty is expired in these so they can wash their hands of this mistake.
    rlh........Are you the first owner on the vehicle? What is the oil consumption rate (quarts used over what mileage) and the total mileage on your 2009? Are there any other engine issues you are experiencing? Are you still under the factory warranty? Did you buy a GM warranty extension or an aftermarket one?

Most important, what have you done and/or plan to do with your dealer about the consumption?

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    rlh........Are you the first owner on the vehicle? What is the oil consumption rate (quarts used over what mileage) and the total mileage on your 2009? Are there any other engine issues you are experiencing? Are you still under the factory warranty? Did you buy a GM warranty extension or an aftermarket one?

Most important, what have you done and/or plan to do with your dealer about the consumption?

PJ
    No, I am not the original owner. I bought the car with 35k on it. It has 48k now. No, there are no other engine issues. Yes it is still under the BTB 4/50 and also has a Certified-Pre Owned 6/100 warranty. I Know what you are getting at; was the engine broken in properly? I don't think that argument holds water. Again, this is 2009, NOT 1969. If an engine design is so poor that if it is not broken in to exacting practice it turns into a huge POS then there is inherently something wrong with it. Just so you know, I am an Automotive Engineer. I work for a major supplier of OE diagnostic products (manufacturing and service) so I know a bit about how engines should preform and I can spot a turd from a mile away. My mistake was that I had not owned a GM product since my 1999 Suburban. I have had Ford products for the past 10+ years and never had such a silly issue such as oil consumption with such low miles on a engine. The reason I bought the SRX was that my company just won a contract with GM and I figured I would support my customer. The SRX purchase was on a recombination by someone. I should have done my homework but did not, my mistake. My dealer is in process of doing an Oil Consumption test. I am bringing in the car every 1k miles for them to check and log the usage. The spec is 1qt/2k miles (which I think it too much). If it is over this limit (which I think it is) then they will tear down the motor and replace the pistons and rings. I am happy that GM is standing behind their product, but that is not the point. The point is that even GM knows that this engine has issues and I am sick and tried of reading posts where people are blowing GM saying that there is nothing wrong. Sorry for the rant but it really pisses me off.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

No, I am not the original owner. I bought the car with 35k on it. It has 48k now. No, there are no other engine issues. Yes it is still under the BTB 4/50 and also has a Certified-Pre Owned 6/100 warranty. I Know what you are getting at; was the engine broken in properly? I don't think that argument holds water. Again, this is 2009, NOT 1969. If an engine design is so poor that if it is not broken in to exacting practice it turns into a huge POS then there is inherently something wrong with it. Just so you know, I am an Automotive Engineer. I work for a major supplier of OE diagnostic products (manufacturing and service) so I know a bit about how engines should preform and I can spot a turd from a mile away. My mistake was that I had not owned a GM product since my 1999 Suburban. I have had Ford products for the past 10+ years and never had such a silly issue such as oil consumption with such low miles on a engine. The reason I bought the SRX was that my company just won a contract with GM and I figured I would support my customer. The SRX purchase was on a recombination by someone. I should have done my homework but did not, my mistake. My dealer is in process of doing an Oil Consumption test. I am bringing in the car every 1k miles for them to check and log the usage. The spec is 1qt/2k miles (which I think it too much). If it is over this limit (which I think it is) then they will tear down the motor and replace the pistons and rings. I am happy that GM is standing behind their product, but that is not the point. The point is that even GM knows that this engine has issues and I am sick and tried of reading posts where people are blowing GM saying that there is nothing wrong. Sorry for the rant but it really pisses me off.
    How much is the oil consumption test through the dealer? And I agree with how you think of the break in theory being outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    How much is the oil consumption test through the dealer? And I agree with how you think of the break in theory being outdated.
    There is no charge for the test. I am sure they will bill warranty. Thank you for the confirmation, r.e. engine brake in causing oil consumption. That, IMO, went out the window with full serve gas stations that would check your oil at every fill up.

Awesome I think I'm gonna look into it

why does the owners manual have a section about engine break-in if it's outdated?

what is different about internal combustion engine design between now and 1969 that would render break-in not necessary?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Thank you for the confirmation, r.e. engine brake in causing oil consumption. That, IMO, went out the window with full serve gas stations that would check your oil at every fill up.

As I said, customer satisfaction issues always arise when the customer substitutes his judgement for the OEM's. This is as true today as it was in 1969. Most people in the business understand this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    why does the owners manual have a section about engine break-in if it's outdated?

what is different about internal combustion engine design between now and 1969 that would render break-in not necessary?
    While I will agree that proper engine break in is a good practice it is inconceivable that not following the procedure would cause this excessive oil usage. There have been quite substantial improvements in piston ring and cylinder bore technology that basically negate any "break in" from being needed. Remember that all cars once built are run through an End Of Line process at the assembly plants. This is where the vehicle is first started. If you have ever seen plant workers driving the vehicles out of the plant to the transporters you would know that in no way do they follow that break in process at all, LOL!!!

While I will agree that proper engine break in is a good practice it is inconceivable that not following the procedure would cause this excessive oil usage. There have been quite substantial improvements in piston ring and cylinder bore technology that basically negate any "break in" from being needed. Remember that all cars once built are run through an End Of Line process at the assembly plants. This is where the vehicle is first started. If you have ever seen plant workers driving the vehicles out of the plant to the transporters you would know that in no way do they follow that break in process at all, LOL!!!
    it is inconceivable that not following the procedure would cause this excessive oil usage
    why do you say this? it seems very conceivable to me

substantial improvements in piston ring and cylinder bore technology that basically negate any "break in" from being needed
    then why the break-in page in the owner's manual?
    can you explain how the improvements negate the need for break in?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    why do you say this? it seems very conceivable to me

then why the break-in page in the owner's manual?
    can you explain how the improvements negate the need for break in?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-i...anical_run-in)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_should...#39;_a_new_car

Like he said with todays technology they really shouldn't require break in. Also all engines are ran for awhile before they roll out of the plant so why do these oil consumption issues still arise in modern engines? Pretty sure most of these high mileage cars weren't broken in properly yet they don't use oil yet a $40k+ Cadillac does not acceptable imo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.