Oil Consumption - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; Okay I just purchased my 06 SRX today with only 43200 miles on it. I was reading the post that ...
    newgmowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX

Re: Oil Consumption

Okay I just purchased my 06 SRX today with only 43200 miles on it. I was reading the post that the SRX burns through oil like drinking a glass of water. Can anyone tell me if there is a fix for this or if putting heavier oil will slow it down. I am thinking about taking a trip but I worried now that engine might give out or I will have to pull over every hour or 2 and check oil. This is actually my first GM I have ever owned and not I am wondering if I made a good purchase. Dealership I purchased from said oil was just changed 2 months ago but check the level DIC and it said it was at 9% i will be checking it in the morning. I am just hoping that this isn't a huge oil hog and I didnt make a huge mistake in purchasing it. Any help would be great. it is a Standard V6 AWD

Thanks

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by newgmowner View Post
    Okay I just purchased my 06 SRX today with only 43200 miles on it. I was reading the post that the SRX burns through oil like drinking a glass of water. Can anyone tell me if there is a fix for this or if putting heavier oil will slow it down. I am thinking about taking a trip but I worried now that engine might give out or I will have to pull over every hour or 2 and check oil. This is actually my first GM I have ever owned and not I am wondering if I made a good purchase. Dealership I purchased from said oil was just changed 2 months ago but check the level DIC and it said it was at 9% i will be checking it in the morning. I am just hoping that this isn't a huge oil hog and I didnt make a huge mistake in purchasing it. Any help would be great. it is a Standard V6 AWD

Thanks

Congrats on the new purchase! Although I don't have an SRX, I have many GM vehicles (Vette, Trailblazer, GMC 3500 and Chevy 5500 RV) and have been reading oil consumption threads for years on the various forums. While I don't discount the posts, I also believe the oil consumption is somewhat dependent on driver behavior and is generally well manageable. It appears that those that spend time driving at higher rpm, particularly unloaded, see more oil usage. And in general, the oil usage is easy to control. In my Trailblazer (5.3L V8 with 120k on it) I commute to work 60 miles each way daily and check the oil only once per week on the weekend. Generally only have to add oil about every 3000k miles which works out to about once per month for me. Given that most people used to change their oil at that point, this really doesn't bother me. For what its worth, I follow the Oil Life Monitor and change my oil at about 10-12k miles. I think for your trip, if you follow the old adage to check the oil with every fuel fill-up, you'll be fine.

awilm811 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX

I bought a 06' SRX in October. Currently it's using about a quart every 3k, which isn't as bad as some horror stories on this forum. What about those high mileage oils or even Marvell's Mystery Oil?? I read one SRX owner used it and stopped the consumption. I'm half temped to put it in my vehicle but it only has 40k and the oil is conventional not synthetic.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Follow the oil change instructions (owners' manual) in terms of the exact motor oil and interval. If it will make you feel any better, change it more frequently, always with a fresh filter. By the way, 3K miles and the use of just one quart of motor oil is pretty good. I have NEVER had excessive wear or a motor-oil-related failure in 43 years of driving following the manufacturers' recommended oil change intervals. I'll bet their are a lot of others on this forum that have had the exact same experience.

By the way, some years back Consumers Reports did a test on motor oils as well as a number of well known motor oil additives on engine-rebuilt NYC taxicabs.

After testing everything under the sun (major brands, varying change intervals within the manufacturer specs, and a whole host of motor oil additives) their simple and unqualified conclusion after tearing the engines down after a zillion miles: "No measurable or reportable difference in engine wear or longevity prospects."

PJ

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

With all this talk of low oil, I figure I'd check on Sunday. I bought it used (38.038 on speedo) back in October and oil had been changed. I checked it when I brought it home and the oil level was right at the middle mark on the dip stick. A month ago I checked it at work and it was low and when I got home I put in a half a quart. My driveway is not level so I didn't check to see if it was full. On Sunday and it just barely registered on the dip stick. Took 1 1/2 quarts to get it to the middle mark and the speedo was at 41,001. Thats two quarts in 3k miles!!! Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer.... :-(

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

I had 20% oil life left and went to check my oil. It took two quarts and it's just barely on the dipstick now. I am going to have to run out to get more oil now. I am amazed, there is no way a modern engine should burn so much oil that it's unsafe to operate between oil change intervals.

My LS6 and LSJ did burn more than 1/2 between oil changes. I am not sure how oil level would affect the timing chain, but I know from my motorcycle days a properly lubed and maintained chain will last longer.

dredd2099 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 srx

was hearing front end rattle for couple days before I checked
    when I checked for oil, nothing was registering on the dipstick (this is coming back from doing errands so engine is warm)
    thought maybe coz my driveway is on an incline so went to a more level road and still same
    added a litre of oil and it barely registered on the stick, put in 3 litres (about 3.17 qts before it got to mid-level on stick)
    no more rattle
    never occurred to me to check oil level when I first picked it up from the dealer (just about 4500 kms or 2796 miles by me)
    man, i was halfway to an actual oil change already, heh, dic still says 63% oil life, thought it should have increased after that, lol
    I'll be checking on that constantly now

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

You really can't go wrong if you check your oil once per week. My '08 V6 uses no oil in daily in town driving. however, trips can cause it to use about 1/2 quart if the engine has to run above 3000 rpms to maintain desired speed.

DAYTONA 426 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6, Moonstone

My 69 Daytona used about 1 qt in 800 miles. It used up spark plugs a lot faster when "cruising the main drag". Engine, 426 Hemi.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Before my timing chains and engine cleaned (about 3-4 qts of oil sludge and a clogged pickup screen and leaks lol i was losing 3+ qts every 1k. Now Im down to 1 qt every 3k. Also did the pcv mod to get rid of the oil in the air intake.

jbowen52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4

I have a 2007 V6 AWD and my consumption is around 1-1.5 qt. in 5000 miles. It is more than other engines I have run, but don't consider that excessive. There is never any smoke seen, so am not too concerned. It currently has 83K miles where I have done the last 40K and it has been consistent.

sljasko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2006

My husband has to check my oil frequently and add a quart less than 1,000 miles. It's ridiculous that this is considered "normal" in today's auto market. We were told to just "deal with it" that it is "normal."

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Not 'normal' but far too common.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

These 3.6L engines are huge POS's and GM know it.

cfishkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by C66 Racing View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase! Although I don't have an SRX, I have many GM vehicles (Vette, Trailblazer, GMC 3500 and Chevy 5500 RV) and have been reading oil consumption threads for years on the various forums. While I don't discount the posts, I also believe the oil consumption is somewhat dependent on driver behavior and is generally well manageable. It appears that those that spend time driving at higher rpm, particularly unloaded, see more oil usage. And in general, the oil usage is easy to control. In my Trailblazer (5.3L V8 with 120k on it) I commute to work 60 miles each way daily and check the oil only once per week on the weekend. Generally only have to add oil about every 3000k miles which works out to about once per month for me. Given that most people used to change their oil at that point, this really doesn't bother me. For what its worth, I follow the Oil Life Monitor and change my oil at about 10-12k miles. I think for your trip, if you follow the old adage to check the oil with every fuel fill-up, you'll be fine.
    I'd like the moderator to please remove this post. There is a serious problem with the 3.6 engine in the SRX. Everyone knows it. Many owners, me included, are putting in a quart every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. What is unclear to everyone on this forum is that no one actually knows the percentage of cars with the problem. It's a mystery and we will not know the actual facts. Its very difficult to continue to bring the car back to the dealer for the usage test unless you're retired. On the positive side, I don't know if the excessive usage is causing any additional problems, i.e. catalytic converter, etc. I have 125K miles on my car, still getting 22 mpg highway and the only negative is another $8 worth of Mobil 1 every 3 fill-ups.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.