Oil Consumption - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; try not adding cheap oil = /...
    daniel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Oil Consumption

try not adding cheap oil = /

difill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 2004 SRX V6 does not burn any oil. It has 52k miles and I change the oil at 6k intervals regardless of what the oil life indicator reads. I only use Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and add Seafoam just before oil changes (drive car 30 minutes before changing). The oil doesn't darken down beyond a medium brown/amber color and never has anything gritty in it. I also use the Seafoam in the gasoline - since noticing that the tailpipes stay clean and have no soot buildup. This really works well for me and the car runs great. I have used Seafoam in other cars and reduced oil burning and performance problems. After running say a half of tank of fuel with Seafoam, if you open up throttle to passing gear several times you will clear carbon out of the system that other cleaners cannot remove. It is really effective and has helped me several times. It is also useful in clearing the intermittent rough idle problem in the N engine. It just saved a friend of mine from having to have the camshaft replaced in a 2005 STS V8 ($1,600 at dealer) to cure this idle problem. In the past 10-15 years I have tried so many additives and oils and this is the best combination I have found by using the Mobil 1 oils and Seafoam.

MN SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My V8 doesn't seem to be burning oil at all, after 55k miles. Shortly after buying my SRX, I came across this article about oil consumption through this site (thanks!).

http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstaroil.htm

It says Northstars don't like to be babied. I don't know if its all factual, but seems plausible to me. I bought the SRX for the engine and the suspension, and I because i like to drive. I take good care of my cars, but I dont baby any of my motors!

Keep in mind that no one has ever designed a high revving, quad cam V8 to get groceries. They are designed to be driven. Maybe the cure for (or protection against) excessive oil consumption is a few good runs on some open roads. That's my plan, for now.

If it starts to go south, I may just downsize to a CTS-V or a BMW 335 and buy an old Escalade for hauling.

George Ware is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS & 2006 Cadillac STS

WOW..after reading this post I ran out to check my oil in our AWD 04-Northstar V8.
    We had the oil changed in July, 2k later the oil level is still 100% on the mark!
    The oil life says 81%........Guess i'm lucky

George Ware

akdj1055 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't quote me, as getting information out of GM is a lot harder than GM getting money from the taxpayer, but supposedly a TSB was issued July 23 regarding the oil consumption issue. You have to run through a battery of never-ending tests, and at the conclusion, if one ever makes it that far, it should lead to getting the motor re-ringed. Apparently, the General is finally admitting it's not uncommon to have a ring(s) go bad.

So far, 20,000 miles of consuming a quart every 1,000 - 1,200 miles isn't proof enough for them. And the failed timing gears - twice now in the last 15,000 miles, and the bad catalytic converter, and other emmission problems isn't enough either to condemn this motor. I guess I just never understood the true definition of normal.

P05SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have an 05 AWD SRX that was just in the shop for an oil leak and oil change. I was driving back to VA from PA over the holiday weekend and the car started to make awful sounds and feel sluggish so I took into the shop and they said it was low on oil and it had an oil leak. Lucky I had the CPO warranty! Everything was covered, all I had to pay for is the oil filter.

I guess my lesson learned from that and reading this forum is to check my DA& oil and add it. I love the car and would by another in a heart beat.

dcarr66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by akdj1055 View Post
    Don't quote me, as getting information out of GM is a lot harder than GM getting money from the taxpayer, but supposedly a TSB was issued July 23 regarding the oil consumption issue. You have to run through a battery of never-ending tests, and at the conclusion, if one ever makes it that far, it should lead to getting the motor re-ringed. Apparently, the General is finally admitting it's not uncommon to have a ring(s) go bad.

So far, 20,000 miles of consuming a quart every 1,000 - 1,200 miles isn't proof enough for them. And the failed timing gears - twice now in the last 15,000 miles, and the bad catalytic converter, and other emmission problems isn't enough either to condemn this motor. I guess I just never understood the true definition of normal.
    Couldn't find a TSB on the DOT site (looked at 2006 and 2005 SRX). Has anyone heard confirmation?

I brought my '06 V6 in for a strange noise in the front-end at the end of August and was told it was way low on oil. Heard it again about a month ago (early December) and put a quart in. Heard it again over the weekend and put two quarts in and it's still not topped off. I've probably put no more than 1500 miles since early December, so this seems like it falls into the excessive category. Sounds like I need to document the oil consumption and have a chat with the service tech in another month or so...

jpettit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX V-6 RWD

I have a 2006 V6 (non AWD) with 22,000 miles. My experience:

The car holds 6+ quarts when fully drained. This is up to 1/2 quart more than other member's experience. The oil pan on an AWD may be different and reduces capacity in that vehicle.
    My car does not use oil.
    I have no oil leaks.
    Engine does not have any unusual sounds.
    I changed the oil at 3k miles, 8k miles and at 16k miles
    Mobil1 turns black by 8,000 miles, at which time 33% life is left showing on the indicator. I typically change any oil before it turns black.
    Not all synthetic oils meet GM's standard. Read the label.
    Castrol SynTec begins clearer than both Mobil1 and Royal Purple. I have no experience with Pennzoil Platinum.

I have a trivial amount of metal on the magnetic drain plug I installed as a replacement for the stock drain plug. This is typical of many engines but unnerving to most people. If it changes or consists of larger particles, I would be concerned.

A stuck PCV valve on an engine will commonly cause the crankcase to pressurize the engine and force oil out as leaks. I don't know anything about the SRX's PVC valve but see the discussion at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-requires.html.

The owner's manuals for certain Mazda's, VW's and Audi's claim the consumption of 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is considered normal for these cars. I know some drivers who experience this; others did not. Some service managers claim the statement is purely PR to lower the purchaser's expectations. I would rather know the facts.

dcarr66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Question Re: Oil Consumption

The strange thing is that this excessive consumption seems to have just started, after 25k miles. It could be that it was running low before that but not low enough to cause any noticeable engine noise (I've had all of the oil changes done at the dealership). Even if that's the case, it's definitely gotten worse in the last 4-6 months.

skip148 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '04 SRX 6cyl AWD

Re: Oil Consumption ....Plus other issues

I am new to this site, so this is a "dated' reply. My dealer told me that up to 1quart of oil for 1200-1500 miles was considered normal. I had a 2004 CTS ....same engine....it didn't use any oil at all.

Another issue is that the 6-CD changer keeps recycling CD's on it's own. The key doesn't even have to be in the car and it will just keep changing CD after CD for hours. I found it doing this several times. The only way to prevent it was not to have any CD's loaded.

I have had all kinds of "unexplainable" electrical glitches....one rear window can be put down using the switch on the rear door, but it won't go up. On the other rear door you can put the window up but you can't put it down.

The back-up warning lights/chime will come on on their own.... again with no key in the car while it is parked. The list goes on....

I love the car but these weird issues make it so I couldn't recommend it.

jalexand61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUXIII - 2006 SRX AWD

Hard to believe no post in this thread for over a year? I have been a forum member and follower (with a few posts) of the DTS Forum for a while having owned Deville/DTS autos for several years. I have just acquired an '06 SRX AWD 6cyl with 32K miles for my wife and it will be interesting to see what I find regarding oil consumption. My previous experience with the N* 8 was that my 96 Deville burned about 1.5 qt. per 1K miles. My 2000 DTS with the performance N* burned about .5 qt per !k miles and I now have an '08 DTS that I just purchased with 11K miles and have really not driven it enough to determine oil consumption. Frankly, I am a little surprised to see the V6 with what appears to be the same problem as the N*. Time will tell?

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

My 1998 Olds Aurora came with the (de-stroked 4.6 liter) 4.0 liter V8, referred to as the mini-Northstar. About a quart every 3,000 miles. My take is that there is an oil ring issue, either faulty or sensitive to an easy break in period. Yet not all Northstar V8s seem afflicted across the Cadillac line, and there were no such issues with the Olds engines all the years I participated in that forum.

DVC-Don is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD - 2006 Hummer H3

Just checked in to see if any others had this problem My wifes 04 SRX AWD V6 (a bit over 72000) is now using a quart of Mobil 1 every 800 to 1000 miles. It's going into the dealer next week for this. I keep telling her to dump the car, but she loves it. It's off warrenty now so maybe the $$$$ will change her mind.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

DVC.....has this been coming on over time? Are you getting other symptoms, like the exhaust color or a leak?

cadillacroadside is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

DVC, the dealer will refer you to the latest oil consumption bulletin, which is for piston rings and valve guide seals, there is also a notation in this bulletin for a dirty air filter, due to the pcv set up on this engine a dirty filter can cause some oil consumption as well. the actual spec for oil usage on this engine is 1qt every 2000 miles is an "accepted" rate of consumption, which can vary under harder conditions. this is not neccessarily implied as "normal"..the key word is accepted. had this issue been happening under warranty the dealer would perform 3 oil consumption tests if usage fell under the accepted rate no repairs would have been made

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.