Oil Consumption - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; rlh6805...... that's a pretty long oil consumption test the dealer is performing on your SRX. It began five months ago ...
    PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Oil Consumption

rlh6805......that's a pretty long oil consumption test the dealer is performing on your SRX. It began five months ago in February, didn't it? What were the results?

PJ

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    rlh6805......that's a pretty long oil consumption test the dealer is performing on your SRX. It began five months ago in February, didn't it? What were the results?

PJ
    Sorry that I did not post back. While my SRX does indeed use oil it did not meet GM's requirements for excessive consumption. The spec is 1qt/2k miles. Mine uses about 1/2 that give or take a bit. It is still unacceptable to me but GM will not do anything about it. I have have many cars over my lifetime and NONE have used oil between changes (I change mine every 5k). I have a Ford F150 with 60k on it and it uses zero oil between changes. I also had a Ford Excursion that I sold with 95k (V10) and it also did not use a drop between changes. I am not happy having to put in $6/qt Mobil 1 oil in it between changes. My plan is to keep the car until the 100K CPO and PT warranty is up and then it is gone!!!!

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

If you hate the situation you should get out now. With oil consumption about a quart every 4,000 miles, with the oil consumption half the lower limit and verified by the dealer, and with a solid margin of comfort for the receiving party with the remainder of the warranty, your SRX will be attractive to potential private sale buyers AND dealerships on a trade. Financing costs troughed and now will be climbing, so your timing would be good.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

You can always go our route and try and solve the issue, but it will depend on how many miles are on the engine and if there is damage/scouring to the cylinder walls/pistons/rings how effective it will be.

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to thank you, and everyone at RevXtreme. I bought a catch can from you, for my 2005 CTS. Well since installing it i'm not consuming any oil anymore. I've had a close eye on the oil level since i have installed it and it hasn't used a drop. I don't know how or what that catch can has done to prevent the oil consumption. (I've read your tech tips article and understand the concept of how a catch can work.) I guess i am just baffeled that it something so simple like that could work.

Anyway just wanted to thank you. I was at my last wits end with this car and was about to put it back on the market, after the dealer replaced two motors under warrenty.

I'll be purchasing another catch can from you in the future. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is getting a turbo as we speak, as a fun project street car.

But thanks again. It was definetly worth the wait.

Gabe Moulden
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    If you hate the situation you should get out now. With oil consumption about a quart every 4,000 miles, with the oil consumption half the lower limit and verified by the dealer, and with a solid margin of comfort for the receiving party with the remainder of the warranty, your SRX will be attractive to potential private sale buyers AND dealerships on a trade. Financing costs troughed and now will be climbing, so your timing would be good.
    Unfortunately, I am not in a position to sell the vehicle now.

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    You can always go our route and try and solve the issue, but it will depend on how many miles are on the engine and if there is damage/scouring to the cylinder walls/pistons/rings how effective it will be.
    So adding a catch can will resolve the oil consumption issue? I have 56k miles on it now. Can you please guide me in the direction to purchase this and install it?

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

It will reduce it, but if it can solve it is dependent on several things. The ones that are using oil do to piston rings stuck from the oil ingestion issues to begin with (into the intake air charge from the PCV system) much of the time will solve a good part of the issue once that oil is stopped and the rings free up, but the ones that the rings never seated properly are not going to stop the consumption (it will reduce it in almost all cases) as it is a ring-to-cylinder wall sealing issue caused by being driven to easy the first 500 miles or so. The rings need to wear in to the cylinder walls in this short window and that is very hard with todays good oils pre-filled from the factory and then the engine babied in the beginning. The new engine comes with the cylinders honed to produce a abrasive cross-hatch pattern that allows the rings to "wear in" to fit as finely to the cylinder walls as possible, but the new oils are so protective that following the owners manual break in is a gamble. Some do seat OK, and many don't before the cylinder walls glaze over and the crosshatch is no longer able to "cut" the rings properly.

The installation is pretty easy, and I can post more info.

The other thing to be aware of (and the competitors and haters will dispute this, even though it is so easy to test any can) most cans allow as much or more oil to pass right through the can as it catches, no matter how big the name brand. it is all in the design, not marketing gimmicks and claims. Only a few brands actually do a very good job.

RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Sc

Can you give me a work out which catch can is needed (single vs dual check valve?). Looking into one of these.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.