Cadillac Owners Forum banner

05 SRX Ultraview Sunroof Problem(s)

30K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  bigdaddysrx 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'v been having problems with my 2005 SRX Ultraview for a while now. It mainly started out as one problem, however that lead to many more after one of the dealers fixed it wrong. Ok so the original problem was that the roof was only closing half way, and returning back to the open position with the automatic down button. I got that fixed, (eventually after 3 tries) and then I had another problem with the sunroof because it was closing REALLY loud. I'm not sure how the dealer deemed this O.K in the first place, but eventually after 2 more tries I got the noise fixed. Just recently actually. And through a different dealer because the original one told me I'd be waiting months before GM finds a fix to the problem. Funny how GM isn't the one who fixes them, it's a contractor. And of course I got it fixed at the other dealer. Now that I got the closing noise fixed, I find that there is alot of wind noise coming from the sunroof. Now before I go back into the dealer, to get this fixed now, I want to make sure I'm not crazy, and hearing things. I'm ALMOST positive that I didn't have alot of wind noise before all those fixes. Now whenere I drive on the highway and the music is at a normal level I hear ALOT of noise. Especially when I turn it off, it's very significant. Please let me know if this is the case with your cars aswell, because I'm not sure anymore if it used to be like this, or not since it's been so long since I got it first fixed. So let me know whether any of you get loud wind noise coming from the sunroof aswell. Thanks :bonkers:

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Man that makes me so mad because they never fix it right. I even mentioned to them the problem about noise. This will be maybe my 7th ttme going in to fix the sunroof. I didn't even start off having a big probllm with it, but each time they would fix it and make it worse. This time I' m going to be on them for each and every little detail because this is ridiculous.

#6 ·
Our 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; never a problem with our UltraView: opening, closing or noise.
Seems like windnoise could only occur if the rubber seals were not properly sealing.
Maybe, the techs that fixed the other problems could tell you whether or not the UV is properly closing.
I would also suggest that: 1) try opening the shade, keep glass top closed; 2) get a source of some smoke; 3) go on the road; 4) release the smoke and watch what happens; 5) take a witness along to help observe the detail of smoke motion.
Good luck, wish you well.

#7 ·
Another idea is to loosely tape some strips of toilet paper to the seams of the Ultraview and have the a/c blower set on high to bring in outside air (not recir). With the doors and windows closed the tissue will flutter if there's an air gap. Try it and let us know what happened. (finds water leaks too.)
By the way, if anyone asks what your doing tell them its a POS :)-) ! !

#9 ·
Besides the occasional clunk entering uneven parking garage entry ways, etc. I am quiet as well. In the heat of summer and extreme cool of winter - when I sometimes do sense a slight wind noise - it can be completely eliminated by briefly opened and closing it - just to re-seat the gasket again. I believe cleaning the gasket and seal once in a while to clear it of dirt is a good idea as well.

#10 ·
The techs can adjust how far closed the sunroof can go. The sunroof can slam down hard(no wind noise more chance of creaking) or stop the sunroof short (no creaking, but more wind noise). One forum member used to tap the open button to slightly open the sunroof to get rid of the creaking noise, but you get more air noise.

#11 ·
I'm going to have to bring mine in and show the guys the wind noise. I think you were right ckrichards because although I did have noise while it creaked, there was more noise onc they fixed the creak. See in my opinion though it should work as well as it did when I first got it. No noise and no creak. They must be able to fix that. I don't beleive that they cannot do it right, I think they aae just lazy. It's contractors that do it, and I'm going to make sure I'm there next time they take a look at it. I'll try the toilet paper trick too, I'll update you on the results. Only thing I don't understand is why I have to blast the A/C. Wouldn't it be better if there was no air system on in order to be able to more accuratly see the paper moving? The A/C isn't suppose to come out of the roof anyways?

#13 ·
john d is correct. For instance, when I close the door on my MARK VIII I can literally see the moon roof jump from the change in pressure. As I recall there was a time GM recommended keeping your AC system on outside air to push any potential carbon monoxide out of the vehicle. Air escapes around the door seals as well as through the trunk on cars.

#14 ·
Ok, so I did the test, just I'm not sure if I did it right. I taped 2 pieces of toilet paper to the front of the ultraview and they did flutter. I noticed then that a lot of air was blowing at them so I blocked the 2 front vents and they still fluttered. Some air from the vents might have gottan to them, but I think it still proves the point because not only is there a loud noise, but they still moved even after blocking the vent. Next time I go to the dealer I really hope everything can get fixed once and for all. Thanks for all the advice!

#15 ·
Now that we know air is blowing out from the TP test do the test again without the TP and just move your hand a half inch above and along the seam/crack(wet hand is best) of the Ultra view and the top. If you can feel it dry then you can have the dealer do the same to demonstrate that the UV isn't sealing correctly. The front vents aimed at the top shouldn't defeat a proper seal of the UV. Just think what a car wash would do from the outside!
Good luck on the "once and for all" thing..
curious minds want to know....do keep us advised...the truth is out there.

#16 ·
I'll defenetly keep you guys informed. I am however going to wait for my next reegular scheduled maintanance check-up to bring it in though. Don't want to specifically go in just for that because the car has been in the dealer too much as it is. Thanks for all the help!

#17 ·
While I recommended the toilet paper test on the SRX Ultraview and had used the technique (big word for TP, huh?) on other cars I'd not yet covered my SRX in TP.
So, I just did the Ultraview.
Absolutely no TP flutter ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Got carried away and did the windows and doors.....no flutter.
Right rear tail gate corner fluttered.
caddysrx05- Take it in ....become friends with the service manager...invite the shop crew for Turkey Day dinner.
Their your friends...you need them.....let them know you like visiting with them.

#18 ·
Yeah they actually know me already. Since I'm in there so often. They're getting to know know too that I pay ALOT of attention to small details and I won't let them get away with anything!! I'd like to keep it this way. Man one time I went to pick-up my car, and I had to take it back to them 3 times before I even got off the lot. I think they just don't care, and thee just pass so many important details. Not happy with the service at all.

#19 ·
Don't know if you can do it on the roof, but the tried/proven way to check seals on Corvette windows is to slam a dollar bill between the window and the roof weatherstrip. If the dollar just pulls right out from between the glass and the rubber weatherstrip, then let the adjusting begin.
That's a big roof, might take a few bucks.
Mine is tight so far, but I would envision maybe lightly taping a few bucks across the weatherstrip, then closing the roof, and pulling on the dollars.
Thats every bit as amusing-looking as the TP trick.

Oh, to clarify on the TP, I assume you tape the TP on the OUTSIDE of the roof, then close up the car, and turn on the AC. Then look for flutters on the roof as the air escapes?

DG

#23 ·
O man, I thought it was from the inside... I'lkl have to try it again from the outside.

So I have 2 more questions for you guys: hopefully for which I won't have to start a new thread.

1. So it's gottan cold over the past couple days and when I turn on my car I always get the check tire pressure message, and my traction control light turns on for like 5 minutes. Is this normal? I mean it's kind of sad if the car can't take the cold like this.

2. What type of winter tires does everyone use? I currently have performance tires on the car, and they make the car almost undrivable in the winter. Just today it snowed lightly with some rain, and I couldn't make a right turn because the wheels were spinning and the traction control didn't help much with those tires. I have been looking at prices and usually for my size tires: P255/55 r18 the prices range from 300-380. One of the dealers told me to put on tires that are a little smaller (thickness wise) and those rande anywhere from 120-200. What do you guys reccomend?

#25 ·
Only reason I can think of why the tire pressure warning would turn on is if you have the trire pressures down to right around 25 psi. This is the trigger point for the system. During the night the tires will cool off, and lose approx 1 psi for each 10 degree of temp drop. Also, the batteries in the pressure sensors in the tires could be getting tired, and setting off the warning. i have one in my Corvette that does that occasionally; scares the heck out of me.

Snow, what is that? In Dallas we rarely see that stuff. We get a killer glaze ice storm about every 3 years. With that stuff, you have two choices: don't drive anywhere or have a wreck within a block.
The car magazine guys generally use Bridgestone Blizzak I think. Call Tirerack.com and talk to them. They can recommend the best fit for your car and wheels. You will need to know the width of your wheels (stamped on the back, inner side, of the wheel. Yes, generally the narrower the better for slick conditions.

DG

#26 ·
Snow, what is that? In Dallas we rarely see that stuff. We get a killer glaze ice storm about every 3 years. With that stuff, you have two choices: don't drive anywhere or have a wreck within a block.
The car magazine guys generally use Bridgestone Blizzak I think. Call Tirerack.com and talk to them. They can recommend the best fit for your car and wheels. You will need to know the width of your wheels (stamped on the back, inner side, of the wheel. Yes, generally the narrower the better for slick conditions.

DG[/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard the Bridgestone Blizzak ones are really good. Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to end up getting thinner tires to be safer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.