Installed my headrest monitors (PICS working!))
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Installed my headrest monitors (PICS working!)) in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just finished up the installation of two 6" LCDs in my headrests. I've been getting complaints from the kids about ...
    vdo
    vdo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Talking Installed my headrest monitors (PICS working!))

Just finished up the installation of two 6" LCDs in my headrests.

I've been getting complaints from the kids about them not being able to see the RSE screen because it is so low. The toddler had a hard time seeing the screen when he's high in the carseat and the kids in the 3rd row couldn't see the screen at all. I did some research and ended up buying the two 6" active matrix TFT LCDs. I wanted 7" screens to match the RSE and Nav screens, but the headrests are too small. I paid $238 shipped for both screens from eBay. They were generic but I was told the actual LCD was made by Toshiba. I know many of you will flame me to death for buying cheap crap off eBay, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with the picture quality on these monitors. I got them from this guy:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3093227384

Anyways, it took me a day to install the monitors into the headrest and another day to wire them up to the existing Panasonic RSE DVD screen. I search for wiring diagrams for the Panasonic DVD player without any success, and ended up having to find the video signals by trial-and-error. I also had to buy a $30 video amp. Overall, the install was not that difficult.

Here're some pics. I'll see if I can do a set-by-step write-up of the installation later.

Ouch! No turning back now...

Phase 1 complete. Perfect fit:

Found the composite video signal wires and soldered on RCA jacks:

Video amp wired up and tested functionality of system before putting things back together:

DONE!!!

As you can see, the picture quality is awesome for such an inexpensive monitor. I still have to fine tune the all the pictures to match one another. What's cool is that the monitors can also swivel vertically inside the brackets for better viewing angles. Not bad for less than 3 bills. My video amp still has an extra output, and I'm planning to get another one of these monitors for the 2nd row center headrest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DVC-Don is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD - 2006 Hummer H3

Re: Installed my headrest monitors (PICS)

Very nice job Can you come do my wifes after it gets out of the body shop?

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Looks like the monitors you bought has better color saturation than the factory monitors.
    Deeper reds, etc.

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Very nicely done. As handy as you obviously are, I'm surprised you didn't just go aftermarket on the DVD entertainment from the beginning and save yourself money on the RSE!

drgallo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gorgeous install. I think I might like to give it a try myself.

I have two questions: the first is, how do the screens stay in the headrest, are they just wedged in, or is there some type of bracket ?

The second is: could you tell us the source of the "amp" that you used, as well as brand and model?

If you ever post any "step by step" instructions, I'd appreciate them, but actually your pictures already explain most of the job. Any regrets or pitfalls that I should be careful about?

Thanks again.

vdo

Quote Originally Posted by drgallo
    Gorgeous install. I think I might like to give it a try myself.

I have two questions: the first is, how do the screens stay in the headrest, are they just wedged in, or is there some type of bracket ?
    The LCD comes with a bracket that's supposed to be screwed into the "skeleton" of the headrest. I felt uneasy about having sharp screws sticking out in the front, so I drilled corresponding holes in the bracket/skeleton, and used 4 zip ties to hold the bracket in place. The LCDs simply snap into the brackets. Here're some pics of what I'm talking about:

The second is: could you tell us the source of the "amp" that you used, as well as brand and model?

If you ever post any "step by step" instructions, I'd appreciate them, but actually your pictures already explain most of the job. Any regrets or pitfalls that I should be careful about?

Thanks again.
    Pyle amp model PLV2:
    http://7925.adahost.com/computer/item14072.html

I don't recall any pitfalls I ran into. Just take your time and make sure you tap into the correct wires (larger red(+) and white(-) wire on the center wiring harness). And make sure you don't just tap into and split the signal. Hookup should be DVD out -> Amp in; Amp out -> RSE screen, headrest1, and headrest2. Splitting the signal degrades the picture quality.

No regrets so far, but I'll keep you guys updated on the long-term reliability of the screens

riff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Great job and thanks for the pictures capturing the process. Hopefully someone without the RSE and with an mp3 player will tackle a similar job.

vdo

Quote Originally Posted by Terpnut
    Very nicely done. As handy as you obviously are, I'm surprised you didn't just go aftermarket on the DVD entertainment from the beginning and save yourself money on the RSE!
    I actually thought about doing that, but realized that a comparable system like the RSE professionally installed would cost around $800 or more. The fit and finish wouldn't be as good, and there'd be IR remote eyes and RF modulated sound to deal with. I figured the system integration is well worth the additional costs.

I took the plunge today and ordered all of the goodies needed to perform the surgery. I think that a third screen installed in the middle headrest of the second seat would be a great addition, especially if there is an extra output off of the Pyle video amp. Would it be the same size as the other screens?

The prices are VERY reasonable. I think that a custom job like this would cost well over $1500 in my area.

I am also curious about your picture of the headrest "sketeton", does the upholstery just peel off to allow you to drill for those twist ties??
    Also is the removal of the rear DVD player and trim from the center console a "pop-off" matter??

Sorry for the multiple queries.
    Thanks for this great posting. (And the superb and clear pictures)

vdo

I took the plunge today and ordered all of the goodies needed to perform the surgery. I think that a third screen installed in the middle headrest of the second seat would be a great addition, especially if there is an extra output off of the Pyle video amp. Would it be the same size as the other screens?

The prices are VERY reasonable. I think that a custom job like this would cost well over $1500 in my area.

I am also curious about your picture of the headrest "sketeton", does the upholstery just peel off to allow you to drill for those twist ties??
    Also is the removal of the rear DVD player and trim from the center console a "pop-off" matter??

Sorry for the multiple queries.
    Thanks for this great posting. (And the superb and clear pictures)
    The rear center headrest is a little larger and can probably accomodate a 7" 16:9 LCD, but I think I'll stick with the 6" one since I've had pretty good luck with this model.

About the skeleton, once you unclipped the leather flaps, you can just wiggle the skeleton out from the bottom.

Removing the RSE unit is not all clips. You have to first remove the part that has the 12V outlets and remote pocket. This piece just snaps off by pulling back towards the rear of the car. Make sure you unhook the wiring harness for the two outlets. Then remove the 2 phillips screws underneath the hinge of the LCD and the upper and lower covers of this hinge. There will be two 7mm screws on top and four 10mm screws underneath that has to be removed. After that, the whole DVD player and LCD screen assembly can be snapped out be pulling towards the rear again.

good luck.

snaayk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nice Install vdo. Looks real nice. I might do just one in the back - the kids haven't complained about the RSE

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Some dads will do ANYTHING to keep their kids happy... and quiet!

BTW, did you have to buy another headset for the rear?

Sangimotto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looks great!! Where did you run the wiring/did you manage to hide it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Sangimotto
    Looks great!! Where did you run the wiring/did you manage to hide it all?

I, too, have been trying to figure out:

1) how to "thread" the wiring up through the seats, and then out, near the headrest. Will seat backs pop off easily ?

2) I've got all of the parts and I am ready to go. I also am planning to use the center headrest in the second row for a better view by third row passengers. That headrest cover looks pretty snug, and will not easily come apart .

Any hints?

vdo

All the wires can be pretty much hidden except right at the headrest post, where if you look really hard you can see a tiny piece of wire. Very unnoticeable tho. Everything else is inside the center console. Here's a diagram of how I ran my wires:

The blue rectangles are the lcd plugs which are hidden inside the leather flaps of the headrest. With the headrest off, you can just pull off and remove the base where the posts go into to help run the wires. The seat backs can be removed by pulling back near the top to unclip the plastic clips (shown as yellow dots). I manually ran the wire from the bottom of the seat to the top the the seat back, and then used fish tape to fish the wiring from there out near the headrest post. Make sure you leave some slack near the posts so you can still move the headrests up, and also leave some slack at the bottom of the seat so that the seat can move freely. On each side of the center console near the carpet, there is a cover that hides two 10mm bolts. Remove these to help run the wires from the center console to underneath the seats.

The 2nd row headrests should be exactly the same except they are wider.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.