magnetic ride control
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, magnetic ride control in Cadillac SRX Forums; my dealer told me, "not worth the price". what do those of you who have it think? my cars builds ...
    pagpc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

magnetic ride control

my dealer told me, "not worth the price". what do those of you who have it think? my cars builds in about 3 weeks.

pagpc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

riff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: magnetic ride control

Look at your driving habits and your surroundings. Do you do any driving that will actually take advantage of this option?

Taking into account where I live and the kind of driving I do I decided that the savings outweighed the benefits of this option. There are some good threads on MRC and what it provides in some situations. Look around.

Experiment_626 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2008 CTS DI AWD

Personally, I'd get it. It's the closest you can get to having a luxury car ride without sacrificing the sporty handling.

Really, it all depends on what you want out of your suspension and, more importantly, how you like to drive (or in some cases how hard the girl in the passenger seat can punch).

The best answer is to just drive the options and see for yourself.

JODAOR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is worth the money. I would highly suggest you getting it. I drove both and the standard suspension cannot hold a candle to the magnetic ride control. If your dealer told you that it is not worth the price, then they are probably trying to sell you into a car that they are trying to move that doesn't have it.

sgilbert is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Well worth it if you corner hard &/or "push" your SRX hard. I love it!

beers is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan (gray/black), previous 2004 CTS-V

If you like to corner at all, then the Mag Ride Control is DEFINITELY worth the money. It makes a big difference in how the car reacts and handles. Makes a fun vehicle that much more enjoyable to drive. It's like getting the best of both worlds (smooth ride and tightness in the corners).

Bottom line: I highly recommend getting the MRC, you'll be glad you did...

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

how does MRC work?

sgilbert is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

For an explaination, go to cadillac.com Never hurts to go to the source.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

ah yes, cadillac.com had a good explanation....I can see why it would be a desirable option.

GERMEEZY1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Basically it uses Magnetorheological fluid which is basically a hydraulic fluid with iron particles suspended in it. Since iron is ferrous the shock and spring rates can be instantly adjusted by electric current or magnetic force. And since it reacts in milliseconds it can go from firm to corner and then soak up a bump mid corner in the blink of an eye. I personally drove a 03 with MRC STS and my 02 could not hold a candle to it. It feels like you are floating on a magic carpet. Railroad crossing no big deal at all you see them but don't feel them or hear them.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

The previous attempts to change the MR state of the damping media in the MR style shocks over the years (that never were successful and never made it into production) the design was such that the entire volume of the MR fluid was controlled by the electromagnetic input...which was bulky and required high current. In the current generation of MR technology only the fluid flowing thru the damping orifices is controlled by much smaller electromagnetic fields. This requires much less power, provides nearly instantaneous response and made the system production capable.

One thing not mentioned specifically in the explanations is how the control algortihms work that control the "firmness" of the damping of the MR shock.

There are very sophisticated control algorithms that go far beyond just making the suspension "firm" or "soft". Way way beyond that. Since the control of the shock action is virtually instantaneous the damping can be varied not only over an extremely wide range (from very soft to virtually rock hard) but also separately in compression and extension (jounce and rebound) and changed repeatedly during a specific stoke on any direction.

This allows the control algorithms to cause many different damping characteristics on the shock whether it is just reacting to a bump, seeing chatter bumps or repeatitive action, cornering, braking, etc....car maneuvers that the suspension can actually anticipate well in advance of the car going into the specific maneuver.

The MR technology is as close to an "active" suspension control as you can buy on the market today without actually having a true active hydraulic system onboard. The MR suspension technology uses the natural motion of the body as the motive force to perform suspension movements instead of the heavy, complex and bulky hydraulic systems of the true active systems touted a few years ago.

For instance, on turn-in to a corner, the chassis controller "sees" the steering in put. This instantly causes a series of active actions in the suspension. The outboard strut goes hard in compression to "set" the tire for good turn-in. The inboard front strut goes hard in soft in rebound momentarily to allow weight transfer to the other front for the motive force to plant the tire then quickly goes the opposite, hard in rebound to prevent body roll. In the corner, as the onboard accelerameters sense the cornering load, the inboard struts go soft in compression and hard in rebound to cause the inboard suspension to "pump down" to keep the car level and the body roll to a minimum. At the same time the out board struts go hard in compression and soft in rebound to allow the suspension to "pump up" to keep the outboard side up and level. "pumping up" and Pumping down" mean that the damping is so firm momentarily that the suspension spring rate or cornering loads cannot overcome the damping on the rebound so that the strut tends to become the supporting member momentarily....if the suspension loads are less than the force exerted by the damping then the suspension cannot "recover" during the interval when it is unloaded by undulations in the road surface and the resultant load is used by the chassis control algorithm for car control.

There are many different control algorithms that look at different suspension motions. Algorithms such as "skyhook" and "ground hook" will grap the car when the suspension is fully extended, such as topping a sharp rise, to prevent the wheels from leaving the ground any more than necessary and then rapidly reverse the action to "catch" the car when it lands... Taking a corner invokes a variety of algorithms such as the ones briefly described that help plant the outboard front tire for good turnin bite and feel, then hold the car level as cornering loads build, then prevent the inboard side from "unwinding" too quickly as the car exits the corner causing an upset and loss of traction.

The MR technology goes FAR beyond just providing different ride qualities and anyone that appreciates good handling and good ride comfort over a wide variety of conditions, or anyone that drives in a sporty manner at all will definitely appreciate the advantages of MR. It is not so obvious at all nor necessarily advantageous for plodding to the grocery store or down the interstate so it is made optional to suit the driving characteristics and desires of different buyers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.