Dash panel storage box broke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Dash panel storage box broke in Cadillac SRX Forums; my 07's "secret panel" will oinly open manually.. seems like a spring is broken or something anyone have this problem ...
    tonygxp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Dash panel storage box broke

my 07's "secret panel" will oinly open manually.. seems like a spring is broken or something anyone have this problem yet? i haven't had time to drop it off at the dealer to fix it (frankly if i can fix it i will, i hate bringing my car in).

this is a pic for those who do not know what i'm talking about..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donhenry@aeiwireless is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Dash panel storage box broke

Yes, my 07 just quit working?

tonygxp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by donhenry@aeiwireless View Post
    Yes, my 07 just quit working?
    if you get it fixed by the dealer let me know what they say went wrong..

terryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Great, now everybody knows about it.

lazybill is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yep, got my 07 V8 last Nov, and storage door stopped opening a couple of months ago. Tried some WD40 on hinges, no luck. Haven't retd to dlr yet either.

cadillac_tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

I saw two of these last week. One tech had ordered a new box. Realizing this was going to be a problem, I decided that fixing it was better than replacing it.

The anchor for the spring that opens the door breaks off. I pulled the spring / opening mechanism apart and created another anchor point for the spring by drilling a hole. This will definitely be a common failure.

fg3
    fg3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX, 08 CTS

My '07 door is broke as well....

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_tech View Post
    I saw two of these last week. One tech had ordered a new box. Realizing this was going to be a problem, I decided that fixing it was better than replacing it.

The anchor for the spring that opens the door breaks off. I pulled the spring / opening mechanism apart and created another anchor point for the spring by drilling a hole. This will definitely be a common failure.
    Shame on you for actually fixing something. That is sssoooooo old school. The rest of the techs will ostracize you for not being a parts changer.

Keep the spirit alive!
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_tech View Post

Was glad to find the box on our '07 but it is now opening with a bang. At first it opened slowly and was very smooth. Now it sounds like gears ratcheting.
    cadillac_tech, if you read this, I hope you posted your solution on the GM Tech Link. https://www.autopartners.net/apps/dw...onn_type=other

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Had an interesting experience with the "secret" storage area. I slid an envelop on top of the owner's manual that I was storing in this compartment. We were leaving for a trip and I wanted to use the envelop to store gas receipts. At the first stop I told the wife to put the receipt in the envelop but she couldn't find it. She took out everything but no envelop. When she put everything back, the large envelop that had all our dealer stuff plus vehicle insurance card and registration was again slid on top of the owner's manual. Next stop it had disappeared too! Where?? Turns out there's a small gap at the top front of the compartment. Anything that was put on top of the owner's manual was somehow being guided into this small gap.... so if you are missing anything it might be on top of the compartment. Took a pair of tweezers to get them out.
    The owner's manual got moved to the lower storage!

leeclapp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Add another one to the list of broken storage boxes----------2007 SRX door is now a manual operation---Cadillac Quality control----do you really test these out before releasing them to the public???....Lee Clapp Fort Myers, Florida

Cayman Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Howdy all, had the same problem with our 07. took the box out... 8 screws I think and also have to remove a/c vent trim. Had to rewind the spring 2 turns and set it back onto the plastic catch. Hardest part was winding the spring but other than that a simple process. Put everything back in and works beautifully. I know I should have replaced it but I don't live near any dealers so I had to fix it. I may take it back out and run a wire loop on it to keep the spring in place permanently. Let me know if anyone needs help with it.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

When I was looking to buy last summer, I looked at 6 new SRX's.
    4 of the 6 had compartment doors that would not open properly.
    Then the other day, I discovered the main glove box has no light.
    But I feel better knowing that my friend's Honda Odyssey (the best car ever built according to all the magazines) had to have a cross-brace hack-sawed out before we could replace the cabin filter.
    Of course, the '08 SRX doesn't have a cabin filter now either - HoHum.
    Best thing about the car so far - that neat oil filter holder - really cool.

DG

73Thumper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

"cadillac_tech". Would love to prevent mine from breaking. Care to share some simple how-to steps for removal, new hole, and reassembly?

cadillac_tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Next time I see one, I'll take some pic's and make some notes. Don't worry about preventing it from breaking, no harm will be done really.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.