Tow package pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Tow package pics in Cadillac SRX Forums; Can somebody with the infamous tow package post some pics of their engine with the extra fan and trans cooler ...
    defiftyae is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Srx

Tow package pics

Can somebody with the infamous tow package post some pics of their engine with the extra fan and trans cooler and whatever makes it different from the base. I just got a used 07 and love it. The dealer said it had the tow package but dont really know what to look for and I cant find the sticker with the option codes. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Re: Tow package pics

Quote Originally Posted by defiftyae View Post
    I just got a used 07 and love it. The dealer said it had the tow package but dont really know what to look for and I cant find the sticker with the option codes. Thanks in advance.
    Option code list is on the under side of the jack compartment cover in the rear. Look for V92.

73Thumper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Does it have the 3rd seat? If it does - the 3rd seat is usually ordered with a prefered equip package that includes the tow package and rear air conditioning. My 07 has the tow package (and 3rd seat) - the transcooler is easily visible through the front grill, it is mounted just behind the grill opening and in front of the radiator - on the drivers side near the top of the grill opening area. It is about 5 inches tall, and about a foot long. I am not sure about this next info - but - my 07 has a "tow" button near the ash tray on the center stack. not sure if that button is present on vehicles without the tow option installed.

Thanks guys, I do have the 3rd seat and rear air. I did finally find the sticker and it does have the V92 on there. I was just conused cause I read it should have a 3rd fan and I only have the 2 behind the radiator. I added some pics of the cooler in front of the radiator on the drivers side and where the parts id sticker is on my '07. Thanks for all the info, now all I need is a class 3 hitch.
    Attached Images

Thanks guys, I do have the 3rd seat and rear air. I did finally find the sticker and it does have the V92 on there. I was just confused cause I read it should have a 3rd fan and I only have the 2 behind the radiator. I added some pics of the cooler in front of the radiator on the drivers side and where the parts id sticker is on my '07 just in case somebody want to see. Thanks for all the info, now all I need is a class 3 hitch.

Sounds good, thanks for the pix, I also need to do a hitch - but I am waiting a liitle bit. I have looked at hitch options - I think I will be doing a full custom, I will add Corsa mufflers before I start. My plan is to design a hitch that I can remove from time to time without significant effort. becasue of the factory mufflers and the spare, easy removal is not possible with the current available hitches. Very Very tight back there.... Oh, since you have the "utility" package (3rd seat, towing, and rear air) you should also have a weatherpack connector in the rear bumper area that allows a easy plug n play connection to a trailer wire harness - available thru GM or some of the hitch companies (hidden Hitch, Reese, etc..)

I did see that electrical connection behind the driver side bumper. I was looking at the drawtite hitch and It looks solid but it says tow weight capacity of 3500lbs and a weight distribution tow capacity of 5000lbs. My SRX manual says 4250lbs. Should I tow no more than 3500lbs?
    Thanks to everybody.

If you tow over 3500 lbs you probably should have a weight distributing hitch. In fact I think you'd want one. Also anything over 2000 lbs (some may argue 1000 lbs) you'll want a brake controller too. I was disappointed there isn't a standard hook up for a brake controller so you'd have to run the appropriate wiring to it and to the rear connector.
    If you get a change trace the lines to and from the cooler that's in front of the radiator. Seems like when I did it looked like it was actually going to the power steering system. I don't have the SRX here at the cabin so I'm recalling from my abreviated memory!

You know I had the same thought about the cooler in front of the radiator. It looks like its going to the power steering box but I could be wrong. Gonna have to check from the tranny lines and see where they go. My second thought was the radiator itself had a tranny cooler but thats just an idea. or does anybody know off hand where the tranny cooler is?

robhersch is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours

I believe the SRX radiator has some trans cooling as standard, but mine also has the "supplementary/ auxiliary" transmission cooler (small ~ 6 x 12) mounted in front of the radiator. I have two electric fans in front of the radiator as well as a belt driven fan behind the radiator. TBD as to whether the tow pkg radiator has the same "fin surface" as the standard although the "HD cooling packages" some years back had much higher density fins with significantly more fin surface area vs standard radiators; and towing packages then also had heavier spring rates & heavy duty shocks on the rear suspension (TBD today?).
    I believe the need for extra tow cooling is mostly to prevent transmission overheating, but the max tow weight is also based on many other factors of vehicle design and construction.

Out of curiosity I removed the splash cover to see what was really there in the way of a transmission cooler. From the photo, the cooler that's visible from the top and behind the grill is for the power steering. The transmission cooler is sandwitched between the AC evaporator and radiator. It appears to be approx. 5" x 22". The trailering option (V92) indicates a heavy duty transmission cooler so I don't know if the "standard" unit is smaller or what!
    Does anyone know which is the return line? or asked another way, on the transmission is the upper line out and lower in?

Just wanted to say excellent picture thats what I was looking for, cause you cant really see much with the plastic on their.

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wow, is it easy to scrape and damage these lines ?

SYROB

I was searching this weekend as well under the SRX, excellent pics and thanks for the updates....

ggeimer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't have the 3rd row seat and cann't find the RPO sticker in or around the jack compartment cover.

Does anyone know where the RPO sticker is on a 5 passenger 05?

I have installed the Draw-Tite class III hitch (75174) form Etrailer.com and added the factory wire harness (12499575) from GMPartsDirect.COM.
    This was a veary clean install, but took slightly longer than advertised about 1.5 hour for the hitch and I spent more time dressing the harness than installing.
    A couple of comments on the hitch install:

The directions call out cutting the heat shield. I read on a different post that the install can be done by forming the heat shield around the hitch. Just be careful to not tear or loosen the mounting of the heat shield.

The second more importaint is the instructions to cut off the lower exhaust bracket bolt. This is not just an exhaust bracket bolt, these are the 5th and 6th bolts holding on the aluminim bumper. Without these bolts, the bumper is held on by only 4 bolts and they are all on a single axis. The lower bolt completes a triange that adds resistance to folding under or up when impacted.

I was able to flex the plastic retainer plate repositioning the lower bumper bolts to clear the rear hitch bolt for hitch mounting. After I reattached the exhaust hanger plate, I threaded the bumper mount nut while I slowly released the flexed bolt plate allowing the nut to thread onto the bolt. After the bolt is fully in place I used an open end wrench to tighten the lower nut. After it was installed I had a hitch bolt torqued in place with a bumper bolt nearly touching it. With out flexing the bumper bolt out of position, it would be impossible to assemble or disassemble either assemblies. I am pleased with the final result and didn't need to cut anything or comprimise any of the structures. It looks like GM intended the plate to be flexed.

After market wireing doesn't support a clean wiring harness as GM provides (buy the harness from GM), so they may also miss the simplicity of design of the bumper bolts plate.

Etrailer has a bracket (8140) that will hold the OEM harness in the protective holder. The bolt pattern for the molded holder lines up with a diagonal to the two patterns supported by the no drill braket. I angled the holder to compensate for the off angle of the hitch (the harness is closer to square to the vehicle pointing back tward the trailer.) I was able to mount the bracke without covering the "e" in Draw-tite. I bought a full bracket kit from Etrailer, but I didn't need the stamped metal four pole holder since GM has a much nicer molded plastic holder. I have the bracket mounted on top of the hitch tube with the molded holder supported under the bracket. It is as close to OEM look that I could achieve. It is obvious that the holder is mounted diagonly with the extra holes in the bracket visible, but it looks much better than the stamped steel holder from Etrailer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.