SRX Trailer Hitch - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX Trailer Hitch in Cadillac SRX Forums; Ordered & installed by dealer - looks great! I noticed that they cut out the panel at the bottom of ...
    jwoodie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 V8 AWD

Re: SRX Trailer Hitch

Ordered & installed by dealer - looks great! I noticed that they cut out the panel at the bottom of the sport facia to make it fit perfectly. Thanks for info!

oldman137 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re:Trailer Hitch tow weight

Has anybody actually tried towing up to 3500 pounds with an SRX? I am buying a boat and what I buy will depend on what I can tow.

Oldman

steined is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Cadillac SRX V8,AWD,Sport

Yup. I tow my Stingray 190fx (right near 3500 lbs). It tows it ok. I came from towing it with a 400 HP Trailblazer SS with 4.10 gears so it isn't nearly as sprightly.

oldman137 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: SRX Trailer Hitch

Thank you....Good info to have

oldman

Jake's SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 silverado CC,SRX (N*), 07 Silverado crew 4X4, 2000 Impala

[QUOTE=steined;1824479]Yup. I tow my Stingray 190fx (right near 3500 lbs). It tows it ok. I came from towing it with a 400 HP Trailblazer SS with 4.10 gears so it isn't nearly as sprightly.[/QUOT

Did your SRX come with trailer tow or did you just add the hitch?

It came with the towing package. I just had to add the hitch. I bitched a lot about that when I did it, but it wasn't that hard. I'd say if your vehicle doesn't have the V92 package, I'd add a transmission cooler and keep an eye on your engine temps. The NorthStar isn't a torque monster down low so it spends a lot more time than normal at higher RPMs. If you aren't towing in a lot of mountains and city traffic it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Cadillac SRX V8

Is the transmission cooler that comes with the V92 package really that different from the transmission cooler that is used on models w/o trailer tow package? I just have to electrical fans, I wonder if I can make them run continously, to make sure the oil and engine is cooled when towing. Any ideas?

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by JD2004 View Post
    Is the transmission cooler that comes with the V92 package really that different from the transmission cooler that is used on models w/o trailer tow package? I just have to electrical fans, I wonder if I can make them run continously, to make sure the oil and engine is cooled when towing. Any ideas?
    There was a discussion on this a year or so ago. The trans. cooler on the V92 packages appears to be larger in height than the standard cooler. Seems like it was an inch or two but don't recall exactly.
    Not sure how difficult it would be to relocate the trans. cooler to the front of the condensor but I'd think this would help. It's sandwitched between the condensor and radiator which isn't ideal.
    I had a setup on a Pont. Montana to make both fans run continuously. I pulled a Coleman popup camper. Frankly wasn't worth it. The computer was smart enough to turn both on when needed. BUT if you want to experiment I'm guessing the fans, like the Pontiac, are controlled by relays that are energized by grounding when commanded by the pcm. I had a two pole switch that provided an alternate path to ground for both fans. If I forgot to shut off the switch when I stopped it would set a beign trouble code that would clear itself. Been so long ago don't recall details.

JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Cadillac SRX V8

Thanks for the input! Im gonna check out how hard it would be to move the cooler

I'd just add an aux B&M type cooler. Although making sure you have the correct trans fluid level would be a PITA as would adding more.

jmd1013 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 srx

Did you find the T plug im trying to find one thanks Jim.

raysirx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I ordered the harness from gmpartsdirect.com $38

typhoon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 V8+AWD+3rd+Sport Package + Crystal Red (super rare)

Re: Trailer Hitch tow weight

Quote Originally Posted by oldman137 View Post
    Has anybody actually tried towing up to 3500 pounds with an SRX? I am buying a boat and what I buy will depend on what I can tow.

Oldman
    I have towed just around 4,300 lbs for about 250 miles, no problems. Tongue weight was about 450 lbs. without an equalizing hitch. 4 adults on board with luggage. Those self leveling Nivomat shocks took the ride height to normal in about 100 feet of driving.

'08 Northstar with sport package.

07SRXOwner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX V6 AWD Sport Package

After 5 months of searching, I finally have my trailer hitch installed. I looked at the factory hitch and wished it was a 2" receiver. Then I looked at the after market brands and was concerned by several that said their hitches fit all SRXs except those with the Sport Package, which mine has. I traded emails with a representative from CURT who was nice enough to send a picture of a CURT 13050 installed on an non Sport Package SRX. The 13050 is a heavy duty hitch, but the cross bar is exposed and I didn't really want that look at the back of the SRX. CURT also makes a 1.25" receiver -12105 , but I could not find an actual picture of that model, so I never did find out if also has an exposed crossbar or is tucked up behind the bumper like the factory model. The CURT hitches were available for about $215 - $235, including shipping. I contacted my local Cadillac dealer and the best price they could give me was $357.14; no discounts possible. I was also interested in cross bars for the roof rack, but not sure I was going to buy them now. The dealer price from the cross bars was $172.62 for a total of $529.76 for both items. I searched online and found several places that would ship both items to my house for $465 - $470. Then I found GMPARTSCHEAP.COM. I had the GM part numbers and got the same parts for $415.20 shipped in less than a week.

I installed the hitch myself in about 3 hours. I would advise a helper to make it go smoother. My helpers were jack stands under the tail pipes and a floor jack to lift the receiver end into place while I lifted the other end and got the bolts started . I combined the directions that came with the hitch and those from the CURT site. Right now I only use the hitch for a bike rack that is 1.25 but has an adapter for a 2". I will likely have occasion to tow a trailer during the life of the SRX, but I will not go over the 3500 lb limit.

So now the SRX is doing all the things that I bought it for. It impresses people with the Sport Package, Ultraview, NAV, XM and the great interior. It carries up to 7 people, brings the 'stuff' home from Lowe's or Home Depot, hauls the bikes, camping gear, and SCUBA gear. I love the handling on the windy roads and the ride on the highway. Gas mileage in local driving was disappointing through the winter at 14 -15, but has improved to about 17 -18 since the weather warmed up and the gas mixtures changed. I expect about 20 on the first long trip at the end of May.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

How about posting some photos of how the hitch looks on the back with the sports package.

I have a Diamond White 09, and want to install the hitch for my bicycles, or to pull a motorcycle trailer. But I am concerned how bad it might look.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.