Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Sweet (NOT) Sweat Smell

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Professor Wizard 
#1 ·
I've seen a few threads when searching odor or smells, but no one ever says they found or resolved the problem. Anyway, 2005 N* SRX. I leave cabin controls on AUTO all the time but turn Ac off and on as I need it. Anyway, been noticing the "smell" recently when first get in the car. Usually ges away after 5 minutes or so but for those 5 minutes...phew!!
My 4 year old says "Daddy, it smeels like sweat" (I'm a runner so I know where that came from). Anyone find a solution? Cabin filter recently changed, btw...

#4 ·
I bet you garage it? I had same prob. Firstly turn off the A/C just before parking in the garage (if applicable).
Now, get some GM anti-stink or Lysol. With car outside , all windows open (roof too!, if....) put heater on full. Spray lysol for 5-10 minutes, in 1 minute intervals, into windsheild hood vents (air intake!). Let sit 30 min. Repeat w/ A/C on full this time! Same deal.

Should resolve it! Best of luck!

Be sure to newspaper/mask the hood to protect paint!!!!

#8 · (Edited)
Lake Cadillac didn't cause the smell... it is the naked band groupies swimming in it that caused the smell!

I am thinking you are getting "Old Car" Smell - - Really - - try steam cleaning the seats! 5 years of getting in the car sweaty has absorbed into the seat cushions. A good steam cleaning will fix it right up.

The car smells after sitting overnight with no air movement, allowing the sweat soaked seats to "permeate" the air. As soon as you fire up the car the AC starts circulating the air and poof.. the smell is gone.

To avoid this in the future - - Always shower before getting into he car - - Install thick plastic seat covers (Like Grandma had on her white couch!) - - Place a fresh open box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda under the seat - - Spray with Glad Air Freshener daily... and don't forget your Pine Tree Air Freshener Mirror Hanger.. :)

#10 ·
Prof......after 12 years the interior of my Olds Autobahn still smelled of leather, even though it was the car i hauled the dogs around in with the rear seat covered during transport only. Never washed the seats.....leather wipes periodically, windows and rear door panels weekly, a vacuum every other week. And no smell! Traded for the SRX, but the Olds was the nicest car I ever owned, for zip, ride, sporty feel for a 4,000 pound car, and exceptionally optioned. I'm not quite ready to say I like the SRX better, but it is pretty close. Guys with Northstar Caddies probably feel the same.

#11 ·
PJ:

I had an Olds Trofeo' that was like that!

Of course I was jesting in my response about sweat - - but then also being factual. Sometimes, especially if you have children (or are just a klutz yourself!) Things get spilled in the seats or in the carpet. These things eventually smell - - sometimes they smell really very bad! - - Steam Cleaning is the only way to rid them! :)

I am very lucky - - I have neither kids, or am I a kluts, so to date, nothing has spilled in my SRX, and she smells as if I picked her up yesterday!

I would quote a statement from the movie Christine about the smell of a new car - - but the language police might pop me! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.