Anyone know how to tighten up the seville SLS's ride?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Anyone know how to tighten up the seville SLS's ride? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I bought a SLS cause it was in nice condition but the ride is kinda soft and floaty. Is there ...
    gorky is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Anyone know how to tighten up the seville SLS's ride?

I bought a SLS cause it was in nice condition but the ride is kinda soft and floaty.

Is there any aftermarket parts that can firm up the ride? I was thinking of passive struts too, since my "service ride control" message is starting to pop up intermittently. I betcha the original active shocks are about done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    There are plenty of things to do to make the car "firmer". Apssive struts will do that for sure. Heavier sway bars will keep it "flatter" in the corners. Stiffer springs, urethane bushings to replace the rubber ones, wider, lower profile tires.......
    Get the picture?

kempie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS
    Here is a post I ran accorss the other day. Not too hard nor expensive.http://discussions.gmforums.com/show...threadid=36272

any parts recommendations in particular?

when i ask for any aftermarket parts at pep boys, kragen, or autozone they keep telling me there are none. that GM parts are my only choice.

the GM active shocks are $1400 for a set of four, and like i said the ride is way to soft to suit me.

and they have no suggestions on torsion bars or bushings.

do you guys know of any books that would be good reference on this subject?

by the way, i'm not trying to turn this into a slot car, just firm it up a bit. i have another car when i want to run the curves.

1994 seville SLS
    1996 GMC 1ton crewcab
    1988 735i 5 spd.
    1986 Nissan 5 spd. 4x4

hey thanks kempie,

that was a great posting on that other forum. and when i searched around on that other forum, i found a great posting on how to install the passive struts while fooling the CV-RSS system.

thanks again everybody.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Hey Gorky, welcome. Does your '94 have CV-RSS? I think on the SLS, 1997 was the first year for the CV-RSS, and I think your '94 may have an earlier system, and I think a simple computer module change is all that's required. There's a lot of info on this over at www.caddyinfo.com. There's a message board there with archives...search for "passive struts 94" or something similar and I think you'll find lots of messages about the subject.

Good luck! I have a sneaking suspicion that the struts/shocks on my '97 are worn too. Gee, got poor service out of em, 115k miles. The ride is real good still...just a little mushy sometimes. I think I have to use the resistor trick that they talked about on gmforums.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    If I had your car, this is what I'd do:
    1. Replace all suspension and steering items (including wheels/tires) with STS or better items.
    2. Replace the transaxle with the STS unit to gain the lower gear ratio.
    3. Reflash the PCM to fix the trans shift points and speedo.
    4. Install a K&N FIPK and a freer flowing exhaust.

Now go out and hunt down STS's just for fun

thanks for the suggestions guys )

from reading all the other threads, sounds like many of my problems may be fixed by just replacing my struts and all the rubber bushing parts. I'm going to concentrate on those.

i've already upgraded the wheels and tires to STS quality, and i'm quite happy with the engine performance.

thanks again for all the suggestions!

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Gorky, there are also extra gussets installed, many exclusive to the 1997 model. Check to see that your car has all the structural enhancements made. There are probably extra/improved braces that you can install that will help tighten the car up as much as possible.

earl jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a 94 seville sls that i have put 80k on in two years. It had 60k when i bought it. I recently switched to 18" Lexani wheels and went with 245/45/18 Michelin Pilot tires. What a great difference! The car rides great and the ride firmed up in the process. Kinda pricey, but I really like the setup.
    Earl Jones

SmoothSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I've really noticed that in my 97 SLS , the ride is "floaty" and not as firm as I'd like as well. This past winter my tires wore out in back in the insides because my rear two bushings were "shot" and really loose I got them both replaced for a large expense. The ride is still annoyingly floaty and not firm enough... Is there really something with the computer system that I can do?

mnymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS
    Well I had the same problem with the soft spongey ride on my SLS so I traded it for the STS. Much firmer ride but still soft on the backside.

I'm happy with the feel of the STS although I realize that this is not the option for everyone, it just sounds like a lot of work already and not sure of the cost to do all that, it may just be feasible to do the same, because I was in the same situation, about to spend $2 - $3K on wheels and tires and other performance enhancements so I opted to just upgrade cars.

Well just my 2 cents anyway...

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Anyone tried replacing the engine cradle bushings? At least on earlier models (late 80's/early 90's), Cadillac (and Buick and Olds) had several versions of these mounts in various hardnesses that they used to tune the suspension.

Also, some guys are apparently replacing them with harder materials than the factory rubber. Supposedly it can dramatically tighten up the front end response, but may introduce some noise/vibration. Some materials often used are urethanes, Delrin, and aluminum.

These would be fairly easy to fabricate in the harder materials. A lot of the Taurus SHO guys are using them and (supposedly) it makes a big difference in handling with only some noise (the engine is still isolated from the subframe by the motor/transaxle mounts)

I'm considering fabricating some because my engine cradle mounts are pretty fragged and Cadillac has discontinued them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.