Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Nursing a 92 ETC back to health - HELP!

733 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dp102288 
#1 ·
I picked up a 92 ETC in Toronto in July this year - for FREE. White with grey interior. Owner was a friend and the car was vandalised and was badly side-swiped thus causing damage to the driver's side of the car. Because I live north of Toronto, parts for this particular model car are VERY hard to come by at the 'yards. Literarily, I had to check car-part.com every day and sit there like some Ebay addict and watch to see if the parts I needed became available - when they did, I would immediately call the yard to put the part on hold and then take a long-distance trip to go buy it.

Heres whats been done so far:

- New driver side window (some kids smashed it out) $150
- New bumper, driver-side headlight, driver-side fender $200
- New DIC and ECM (DIC was malfunctioning and got both for a deal) $200
- Typical restoration/cleanup of a car not looked after by previous owner - PRICELESS (as in, priceless because I've lost count on how much I've spent on brake lines, brake rotors, fuel tank, engine flush as oil was not changed in a LONG time, etc etc)
- 320,000 klms, I think thats about 200,000 miles?
- Engine/tranny runs fine except for mild oil leak coming from oil cooler line.

PROBLEM - I have no heat in the car and its starting to be a VERY cold winter. Heres what happens. The rear blower motor works fine, and pushes out a little bit of heat. I'm guessing due to a plugged heater core. The front blower fan does not work AT ALL. The ACP/HVAC module is correctly "vacuuming" when changing from Auto to Econ, Defrost/Vent, etc. But no blower motor at all. Thus, the poor car is VERY cold to drive and the windows fog up pretty badly. :p

Occasionally I get a A037 error (Data link between DIC and ACP lost) does this mean that the ACP/HVAC unit is defective? There is no freon in the system either. Shouldn't the HVAC throw a Low Refrigerant message? Its not doing any of that - anymore. It was throwing the familiar A048 code then suddenly stopped doing that, even after a DIC/ECM code reset. The blower motor itself was working when I first picked up the car - the malfunctioning DIC caused the blower fan to run all the time.

Any help appreciated.

I will post pics shortly.

*Nick*

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't quote me, but I think the '92 has a seperate blower control module. Later models incorperated that into the blower itself. If it has one, the blower motor wires should lead you to it. That module may be the problem. A FSM would be a great help in diagnosing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.