Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Murphyg 
#1 ·
if u've noticed the lacs i own i put the 93 sls along with my el dog because im picking it up this friday, i havent driven one but im getting a godfather deal on it so im just gonna go ahead and buy it regardless, but i was wondering what u officianados thought of the 93 sls as a whole....

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
To sum it up:

Very fun to drive, great to look at, great to ride in, but you gotta maintain that Northstar to a T.

#4 ·
I got a '94 N* and it's just NFG. Oh power and gas mileage are great but the first one leaked oil. Engine replaced at 25k and this one burns as much oil as the old one leaked. Over heat problems, transmission problems, loved my 4.5 and the 4.9 was even better. This N* system is just NFG. Cadillac once had 90+% of the luxury market. You know where they are today and for good reason. The N* system sucks.

#5 ·
Was my first cadillac and I really enjoyed it.
Has a very nice ride. Its the lap of luxury. Hence the "L" in SLS. for Luxury.
Had a friend of mine refer to it as though crusin round in your favorite living room chair.
Is definatally a noticably smoother ride than the STS.
But in no way does it lack in power. That 4.9 is a beast. I was able to burn out threw first and second gear. Probably could have gone through 3rd as well but never pushed it that hard.
Got heads to turn and mouths to drop more than once by groups of kids standin round there souped up imports LOL.

If properly maintained you should average round 18-19mpg with 50/50 combination highway and city.

I dont recall it having any perticular quirks other than the throttle body needing cleaning a bit frequently. After getting it I recieved the SE light and had it serviced. Did it myself after that. Twice a year kept it nice and clean. Once may have been enough but its not difficult so what the hay.

I got rid of it a year ago and was starting to notice vacuum lines and other rubbers etc begining to crack. Might be a good idea to check them all out.
Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor of course.

One word of caution.
When changing the far right plug, (drivers side), thats against the firewall, be carefull. There is a sensor right beside it. Some kind of temp sensor I believe.
It is a tight enough fit to change that plug as it is without knocking and snapping that sensor. I discovered that the hard way.

Check out the cd player as well. Mine was quite finiky when it was cold. Didnt always want to accept cds and when it did didnt always want to play them.

Also had a leak onto the floor in the back.
The sunroof drain lines come out the rear tire wells above the tires. Being there they plug up with road grime very easily. You can access those from the trunk under the liner.

Might want to take a good look at the muffler and cat as well.
Im in Ontario and our winters can be harsh. But it was on its second muffler and was almost due for its third. And I think the cat was on its way out as well.
Now that I think of it the shocks were getting a bit soft as well. Was starting to get that boat over waves feeling over road dips. A bit softer than It used to/should be.

Had changed an ISC motor. Listen for a clicking sound from under the hood after shutting of the engine.
Rear brake calipers were starting to stick. As well as the E brake cable.
Also had a small oil leak for quite a while. Cant remember what the area was called. With the car on the hoist, on the passenger side, from around a shaft.
Was told as long as its small not to worry about it. But could eventually need repair. And not a cheap repair if it did fail.
Damn cant remember the name....Is on the tip of my tounge...:thepan: But do know it was oil and not tran fluid. Is apparently common and should maybe check it out.

Being a 93 and with the power of the 4.9 should check all bushings etc.
With the age and strain over that time will probably need some R&Rs if nothing has been done in the past.

Definatally check the AC system. Being a cooler time of year alot of people dont check that. If my memory serves me correctly I believe that the AC is required for the Defog to work properly.
Mine was on its 3rd compressor.
The first change was a screw up and didnt need to be changed. The sound was coming from an unbalanced fan. OEM was put in then when it was bout 3 years old. I then had to replace not just the compressor but the "whole system" in mid 03.
Run the AC and see how cold it gets. !!!!!!!!!!!

Hope I didnt scare ya.
Just thought that you want it to be an actuall good deal. And not end up having to pump cash into it within a year.
Some simple to check but overlooked things can end up being very expensive.

Is all i can think of at the moment.
BTW. What kinda deal did you get if you dont mind me asking ?
When I traded mine in a year ago it had just over 100,000 miles and they gave me $2200 Can.
I think it was fair seen as the sweet deal I got on the 01 :thumbsup:

Sorry I didnt see this post earlier. Just noticed the date.
Guess you have it home now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.