Blown Head Gasket? how to check - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Blown Head Gasket? how to check in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by a027418 Hello all. Does anyone know which years the Northstar has this head gasket problem? Are any ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Blown Head Gasket? how to check

Quote Originally Posted by a027418 View Post
    Hello all. Does anyone know which years the Northstar has this head gasket problem? Are any years better than others? Are any models better than other. Thanks, Joe
    Go down to Discussions: Northstar Performance and open the sticky thread at the top of the page titled something like Headgasket Failure........ then click on the poll "view results" tab. You'll see that the 1998-1999 engines lead the group for failure.

Model makes no difference - it's the year of manufacture. Extensive changes in the 2000 year and after........

TCLane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

If anyone is looking for a cheap NS300L head bolt repair kit, I just posted one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/200783261694...witem=&vxp=mtr

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You may want to post that in the Northstar forum so that more members have a chance to see it. You can also put an ad in the classifieds section, free of charge.

NoSaint55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado ETC

http://www.cadillac-doctor.com/

Best guy around if you are within, let's just say 500 miles give or take, to repair your N* motor. I gotta tell you, for $1500 he tears'em down and rebuilds them.

UNLIMITED mileage warranty for ONE FULL YEAR.

He ONLY does the N* motor and he's good at it. He did my 96 Eldo. Runs like a champ. Does great work. Upper N/E part of Ohio, but well worth the drive or have it delivered and picked up.

I bought my 96 Eldo from a 94 year old man...the state of Maryland took his d/l away because he couldn't pass the test anymore. His son was supposedly (and I use this term loosely) a mechanic. I took delivery of the car after asking more than adequate questions regarding the performace of the car...ANY issues...he stated there was NOTHING wrong with the car and it was in PERFECT running order. I drove it and bought it...I put tires, wipers, changed ALL the lights and bulbs, plugs & wires, had the oil changed, engine flushed, transmission flushed and drove off...so I spent another $1000 on the car after I took delivery. I noticed the engine was running over the "normal range" although it NEVER actually overheated...I started looking at Google and Cadillac Forum and the first thing I see (as I nearly threw up all over my brand new HP laptop) was this was usually a sign of a head gasket failure. The more I researched, the more I want to strangle this ass-wipe for not disclosing that the head gaskets have failed. Anyway...I had exhausted all avenues until I found this guy in Northeast Ohio...

Solid 10 on the scale...great guy...I'll take my Eldorado to him ANY DAY!!!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That is a great price, but in reading his repair procedure he does not mention using any inserts or studs.

"We then drill out every head bolt hole, on both banks, both sides, not just the side that is bad as a few other repair shops do. We then tap each hole using precision taps, not just your local auto parts store taps. After we tap each hole and it has been thoroughly cleaned with a cleaning agent, we then insert a bore scope and look at each of the threads to insure they are threaded correctly. After this is done, we remove the tape and clean all the carbon and varnish out of your piston cylinders. We then install new dowel pins and install new felpro head gaskets, then the heads along with new felpro head bolts."

chp350 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 srx 1997 etc 1993 allante 1970 coupe deville 1979 t/a

I ran across this on ebay and its the same company referenced above. studs for 300.00 more

NOTE" PLEASE DO NOT HIT THE BUY IT NOW, JUST EMAIL ME OR CALL ME. THANKS 330-507-9248 WE ARE NOW OFFERING REPAIRS USING STUDS FOR ONLY $300.00 MORE! All Cadillac Northstar Head gaskets, 1993 thru 2004 repaired, with warranty for $1500.00 this includes all parts and labor We at Davis Auto repair, all we do is work on and repair the wonderful Cadillac Northstar engines as well as the northstar engines in the Oldsmobile Aurora. We have several years experience with these engines. We have repaired the head gasket on over 200 of these engines to date.

99chuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 deville

I own a 99 Deville and love that car, but have been fighting a overheating problem for over a year. Runs great but dumps coolant out of the resivor and overheats. I taped a bottle onto the overflowtube to prove it to myself because i could never see any water on grownd, white smoke, air bubbles, water/oil mixing . Just losing coolant. Now all this started when I drained the coolant and put in the new antifreeze, I did try the fix in a bottle and it worked great for a while. Then I read a tag on top of the rad that said to add these pellets from GM if the system was ever drained , that also worked great.... for a while. Now the problem has returned and I am pretty sure it is a HG problem but will try some of the test I've read here to confirm. I may have not put pellets in properly (did not put them in bottom rad hose as directed but in resivor...easier to do) But with the costs of the repairs i have read about I think I will try the temp "fix in a bottle" so I can afford to put gas in the car. I was wondering weather why no one else mentioned the coolant pellets from the dealer, mabey they would rather do all those other tests and repairs than sell you the $5.00 pellets that are recommended.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Forget the sealant tablets and forget the snake oil in a bottle. Repair the failing gaskets/bolt holes properly or you'll be looking for a new engine block, radiator, water crossover, heater core due to extensively clogged coolant passages from dumping in junk.

You say the overheating started after you did a coolant change - What made you dump in a bottle of stop leak after a simple coolant change ??? Did you check the system for proper fill levels, and also check purge line function ??

NEVER put sealant or tablets in the coolant reservoir: It's a low flow area and the stuff sits there and does essentially nothing. GM quit using them in about 2003 - 2004.

Perform a cylinder block exhaust gas test - thousands of posts on it - and prepare to overhaul the engine.

Either do it correctly or find another car. Cold, hard truth.

The cooling system sealant tabs where never meant to, nor will they prevent or cure a failed HG. Don't waste your time.

XTsCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 STS

I like this throwing up portion. I feel about the same right now.

I sold my Harley last week and got this 97 Sts. As I always wanted one.
    I checked all the telltale signs oil coolant. Exhaust. Looked great. It runs like snot and purrs like a kitten.
    I wish OH wasn't so far. Cuz my gut tells me I got suckered in.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSaint55 View Post
    http://www.cadillac-doctor.com/

Best guy around if you are within, let's just say 500 miles give or take, to repair your N* motor. I gotta tell you, for $1500 he tears'em down and rebuilds them.

UNLIMITED mileage warranty for ONE FULL YEAR.

He ONLY does the N* motor and he's good at it. He did my 96 Eldo. Runs like a champ. Does great work. Upper N/E part of Ohio, but well worth the drive or have it delivered and picked up.

I bought my 96 Eldo from a 94 year old man...the state of Maryland took his d/l away because he couldn't pass the test anymore. His son was supposedly (and I use this term loosely) a mechanic. I took delivery of the car after asking more than adequate questions regarding the performace of the car...ANY issues...he stated there was NOTHING wrong with the car and it was in PERFECT running order. I drove it and bought it...I put tires, wipers, changed ALL the lights and bulbs, plugs & wires, had the oil changed, engine flushed, transmission flushed and drove off...so I spent another $1000 on the car after I took delivery. I noticed the engine was running over the "normal range" although it NEVER actually overheated...I started looking at Google and Cadillac Forum and the first thing I see (as I nearly threw up all over my brand new HP laptop) was this was usually a sign of a head gasket failure. The more I researched, the more I want to strangle this ass-wipe for not disclosing that the head gaskets have failed. Anyway...I had exhausted all avenues until I found this guy in Northeast Ohio...

Solid 10 on the scale...great guy...I'll take my Eldorado to him ANY DAY!!!

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Check your surge tank cap and the purge line before you deep six it. Mike

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Another way to check for head gaskets as stated on northstar performance is take it on the highway and do some hard runs to 70mph and let rev down to 30 mph.do a few of those and the temp shouldn't go past 5/8 marks I think.www.northstarperformance.com

XTsCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 STS

Quick question , if my head gasket is gone, would I be having poor gas mileage?

No, it should not affect gas mileage.

aaronsanio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Heres a great article on how to tell if you have a blown head gasket!

http://freecarsupport.com/blog/2012/...t#.UIsqSWk-t7Q

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.