Blown Head Gasket? how to check - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Blown Head Gasket? how to check in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; had a question since you have done this nightmare all ready, were the the threads on the block stripped?(you know ...
    snap off is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Blown Head Gasket? how to check

had a question since you have done this nightmare all ready, were the the threads on the block stripped?(you know were the head bolts screw on to)
    if so what did you use to repair ?
    will a heli coil work

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

snap off,

Helicoils will not work. Look at the replace head gasket thread in the tech tips section for a bunch of info.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Yes, I second that about the helicoil not working. I have personally seen an engine block which has been damaged (presumed irreparably) through the use of a helicoil insert, ironically done by Audette Cadillac in West Bloomfield, MI.

Even though the old GM manuals specify a helicoil part number (j-somethingorother), these manuals predate the Timesert development.

rugby2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I live in kalamazoo mi. just bought a car 97 devile from seele wright with a cracked head gasket that I informed them about the next day, they said tough and gleefully said I should have bought the warrenty. now I am hoping to find if there is something besides or in addition to I can add to the coolent to slow/stop the leak into the engine.? any shops in s/w mich that others have had success with?

Quote Originally Posted by rugby2 View Post
    I live in kalamazoo mi. just bought a car 97 devile from seele wright with a cracked head gasket that I informed them about the next day, they said tough and gleefully said I should have bought the warrenty. now I am hoping to find if there is something besides or in addition to I can add to the coolent to slow/stop the leak into the engine.? any shops in s/w mich that others have had success with?
    No. Repairs in a bottle do not work.

cmacma is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: Blown Head Gasket? how to check

Hello There!

I kinda went through the same thing you have with my 92 Eldorado The Temperature would raise and after a bit get hot with the coolant bubbling out of the overflow. I would turn the engine off, let it cool and after a while it would run fine for a while. I changed the Thermostat and with no change, simply took it all the way out. That didn't do a thing either. I took it to a Cadillac dealer who told me that it was the radiator. I replaced the radiator and still the same thing. Took it to another cadillac Dealer and they said it was a blown head gasket. Since I didn't see water coming out of the exhaust, I figured that it couldn't be a head gasket cause you'd see water in the oil aor at least in the exhaust. Finally, an old guy (What we call an alley mechanic" said "Check the Water pump", these cadillacs are notorious for the impeller coming off the shaft.

Lo and Behold, I took the Water Pump out and the impeller just fell off! Replaced the water pump and it runs just danady now! I can just see some dealer tearing the engine down to discover that it really wasn't a head gasket and just the water pump. Bet you they wouldn't have told me a thing and just replaced the water pump after cleaning the engine a little!

Cadillacs are not "notorious for the impeller coming off the shaft". Not unheard of, but not very common from what we see here. That said, the two dealers you took it to had some very questionable diagnostic techniques.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

The dealer you bought it from should be sued. They knew it was bad, guaranteed. Either way, Michigan law has a three day "cooldown" period law whichm no matter what you are told, is STILL on the books, and CANNOT be signed away, even if it is specified SOLD AS IS in the purchase contract. You are permitted to return the car without explanation to a private purchaser at the end of the period, with full refund, unless 500 miles have elapsed, whether or not you have started the title change procedure or not. If you buy from a dealer (car lot OR dealership) you have the right to return it if there is ANY cause to believe that mechanical problems were concealed.

You found out that the head gasket was blown? How? Did the car run itself out of coolant? Is it puking coolant out of the overflow line? If it did it within a day of yuo buying it, it had to have done it to the dealer as well. If they had to add coolant even once, that legally obligates them to check it further. It's a condition required of ALL dealers of all kinds, affiliated with an auto company or not.

It's just like the law that says a dealer in Michigan is prohibited from sell a car with a broken windshield (that's true, they cannot), while you or I as a private seller may do so if the buyer will buy it.

As for this water pump issue, the water pump in a 1992 is TOTALLY different.

timdog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 1999 deville that's blowing white smoke out of the tailpipe. before this happened I had changed the thermostat because it was over heating ,then found a hole in the lower radiator hose and the radiator itself, so I replaced the thermostat,hose, and radiator and now have white smoke from tailpipe. Anyone have an idea what it could be? I'd appreciate the help.. thank you

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

White smoke, as in steam and/or burning coolant (do you have any coolant loss ?) is usually indicative of a failed head gasket in a Northstar. Not good.

Do some more research in here and then go to a NAPA dealer and pick up the exhaust gas test kit for the coolant surge tank. The kit uses a sample of the air/gas mixture above the coolant surface to give you a test result for exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

timdog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

yes it's white like steam and coolant does get low,and I don't see any leaks. someone thought it may have been the water pump,but I was leaning more towards the head gasket(s) which I know can be a pain. Is the cylinder gaskets the same as head gaskets or different? I will try the test you mentioned before going any further. thanks

It could also be unburnt fuel vapor from a very rich fuel condition, but I doubt it from your symptoms. Go back there and take a whiff of it. If it smells sweet like coolant, it's the head gaskets. Never heard of cylinder gaskets before.

billytheshoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Eldorado

Oil runs at higher pressure(50-60psi at speed)than coolant so, oil will pump into & contaminate the cooling system first. At low rpm coolant can be higher than oil psi, then contaminating oil with coolant. If the engine is over heating the coolant temps can go over the normal 17psi. At Idle oil psi hot can be below 10psi. You will have oil floating in the reservoir with a bad head gasket. Cloudy crankcase oil is part of the same problem. Check the reservoir, check the crankcase, Thick white smoke out the exhaust is bad, and check your wallet if any of the above occurs.

STSj90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 STS N* TOTALED

Quote Originally Posted by billytheshoe View Post
    Oil runs at higher pressure(50-60psi at speed)than coolant so, oil will pump into & contaminate the cooling system first. At low rpm coolant can be higher than oil psi, then contaminating oil with coolant. If the engine is over heating the coolant temps can go over the normal 17psi. At Idle oil psi hot can be below 10psi. You will have oil floating in the reservoir with a bad head gasket. Cloudy crankcase oil is part of the same problem. Check the reservoir, check the crankcase, Thick white smoke out the exhaust is bad, and check your wallet if any of the above occurs.
    Ive always understood that this coolant in oil/oil in coolant. Is highly Unlikly to happen on the Northstar.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.