Aftermarket Rims for a 1970 Eldorado?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Aftermarket Rims for a 1970 Eldorado? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Greetings, I have both the pleasure and misfortune to own a front-wheel drive Caddy. The rims on it were the ...
    MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood

Aftermarket Rims for a 1970 Eldorado?

Greetings,

I have both the pleasure and misfortune to own a front-wheel drive Caddy. The rims on it were the same as the Toronado of that year and they are a bit of an oddity.

The bold pattern is 5 on 5" (127mm) on a 15" rim with a large offset for front-wheel drive. I am having a nearly impossible time finding aftermarket rims to replace the original steel rims with (which look almost as ugly as the hubcaps).

Does anyone know of a vendor or manufacturer who either makes or could make rims to fit this beast?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Aftermarket Rims for a 1970 Eldorado?

I don't think anyone currently has an off the shelf wheel that will fit. I've seen used, older aftermarket ones sell for around $1k on eBay now and again.

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Quote Originally Posted by MrEightball View Post
    Greetings,

I have both the pleasure and misfortune to own a front-wheel drive Caddy. The rims on it were the same as the Toronado of that year and they are a bit of an oddity.

The bold pattern is 5 on 5" (127mm) on a 15" rim with a large offset for front-wheel drive. I am having a nearly impossible time finding aftermarket rims to replace the original steel rims with (which look almost as ugly as the hubcaps).

Does anyone know of a vendor or manufacturer who either makes or could make rims to fit this beast?

Thanks!
    IF YOU'RE LUCKY....
    You may be able to find some of the rims that were usedin 77 or 78 if memory serves...
    The ONLY wheels I've ever seen for these huge monsters!
    That ride would look better w/ some of the 74..78 covers w/ the painted centers.... black, of course!

I've given up on the idea of aftermarket rims. I did manage to find a couple of new-ish (or at least, better shape) rims online to replace a couple of my bent up rims. I've started grinding them down in prep for paint work and managed to find NOS valve stems for them (another oddity of that rim).

For anyone who may be interested, I eventually found all of the specs for these rims in a shop manual:

Rim: 156JK
    Tire Size: L78-15 (5.88" tread w/8.85" cross section)
    Valve Stem: T.R. 417 (becoming quite rare)
    Bolt Pattern: 5 bolt on 5.0" (127mm)
    Offset: 3.25" (82.55mm)

It's the offset that killed me.

Brandon

Sherman's Blog

Ross DeVore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '76 Eldo Convertibles, '41 Series 61 Sedanette

I have three seventies Eldorados. I have refinished a set of Appliance rims for my Black convertible, Cleaning up a set of Western rims, and have even powder coated a couple sets of steel rims and used modified wheel centers from GMc vans with Cadillac emblems on them. I have seen some get aftermarket spoke rims in larger diameters to fit but rubbing for the front rims seems to be a problem with everything but stock 15X6 steel rims. Depends also one what you want to spend. $$$ will solve your problem but is it worth it? With weight of these cars and the torque they put through the front drive wheels (esp your 1970 edition) even the standard steel wheels can be ruined. Whatever you do, probably have to jack the front end up with the torsion bars. BTW, if the adjusters break(mine did) standard seventies truck parts will work instead.

Ross DeVore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '76 Eldo Convertibles, '41 Series 61 Sedanette

Some pics of powdercoated rims plus blue car with western rims
    Attached Images

SCKID is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Cadillac Eldorado Del Cavallero

Mr. 8 Ball.

How sure are you that the offset for the wheels is 82.5mm neg. That sounds Massive no wonder I can't find what I'm looking for.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by SCKID View Post
    Mr. 8 Ball.

How sure are you that the offset for the wheels is 82.5mm neg. That sounds Massive no wonder I can't find what I'm looking for.
    They were known as reversed rims then. While I don't know the exact number of mm, that is likely right.

Try a company in Memphis, Tn. Wheelworks or wheel workz. On American Way (street, drive). I don't know if they can handle the offset, but do drill lug nut holes in wheels. I have bought some real bargains there (new wheels). They have what I call a 'junk room.' It is full of overstocked rims, but nothing like you need. I bought a set of 15" GM factory (Pontiac) nice alum rims for $100 total ($25 each, new).

One other idea. You could likely get your rims chromed. $100 each???? I am not sure. Back in the seventies, a lot of p/u trucks had reversed rims like yours. Some Impalas also.

Quote Originally Posted by SCKID View Post
    Mr. 8 Ball.

That's the spec in the shop manual. I haven't physically measured the rims, however. But, yeah, it's crazy. lol

Wow!

Okay well I've managed to finally get a response from some of the bigger custom wheels places and they'll build a wheel to fit this whacked up offset. I really appreciate all your help. Might post a new thread regarding the suspension

Sweet!

I'd love to get my hands on the contact info for anyplace (other than spoke rims) that will fabricate rims for this thing. Although I have the feeling that the rims will end up costing more than I paid for the car. lol

8ball

Forgiatto wheels are more than willing to build rims for you. Give them a buzz. 22" and 24" etc. I've changed my mind in regards to the big wheels and am looking to go nostalgia style now..............yeah more of a headache

That's interesting...

I wonder if they'd be willing to custom build rims of the original size? I'm not a big fan of the 20+ inch wagon wheels on this particular car. At 4,900lbs., it needs all the cushion it can get. lol

I was also told that some other GM rims from later year cars would fit (within reason):

Newer Corvette (84-93), 82-94 Camaro/Firebird. Thy sized from 16" to 18" and be sure to use only the 8" wide front wheels if you're going to do this. Will bolt right into place with no changes needed.
    I haven't had a chance to confirm/deny that however. What I need to do is get a rim or two from a junk yard and verify that they fit. If they do, then I can look at aftermarket rims made for those vehicles as well. Matching the bolt pattern hasn't been that difficult. It's that monster offset that's hard to find.

I probably won't worry about my rims for a while as I've gotten into re-painting the blistered hood and trunk (and summer is fading quickly).

tpachelli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 74 eldorado

has there been any new breakthroughs in this area??

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Anyone else looking into this, I am struggling with the same issue.
    Steele Rubber has the valve stems by the way.

Here's a blog of someone describing the issue in details for his Toronado (gen I & II)

http://www.breznick.com/toronado/wheels/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.