How to check that cooling fans are turning on?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, How to check that cooling fans are turning on? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So i am starting to wonder if my cooling fans ever come on. Every time I have had the hood ...
    stswillie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How to check that cooling fans are turning on?

So i am starting to wonder if my cooling fans ever come on. Every time I have had the hood open with engine running I have NEVER heard/felt the cooling fans come on. I have had the hood open after idling for 10 minuets, freeway driving and around town driving. Sometimes with the AC on.

Also the temp gauge is always just past the middle mark of its full sweep. It seems like it should be a little lower.

Is there a way to manually test that any solonoid in the loop is working and that the electric motors both work?

Thanks,
    Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lawrence is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: How to check that cooling fans are turning on?

If it's not over heating they are working. The first thing to check would be to turn the AC on and look. They should both always be on with the AC.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: How to check that cooling fans are turning on?

Quote Originally Posted by stswillie
    So i am starting to wonder if my cooling fans ever come on. Every time I have had the hood open with engine running I have NEVER heard/felt the cooling fans come on. I have had the hood open after idling for 10 minuets, freeway driving and around town driving. Sometimes with the AC on.

Also the temp gauge is always just past the middle mark of its full sweep. It seems like it should be a little lower.

Is there a way to manually test that any solonoid in the loop is working and that the electric motors both work?

Thanks,
    Will
    If it hasn't overheated they are likely fine. The cooling fans rarely need to actually run, especially in cold weather.

Just let the engine idle for a while. They will eventually come on. Watch the temp gauge and it will creep up quite a bit before the fans come on due to coolant temp. The coolant needs to get to 225-230 before the fans will come on. Below that they are just not required. It takes a long time in cold weather for the coolant to get up to that level. Put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad to make it warm up quicker to see them turn on.

The fans are also controlled by the AC compressor operation. The AC condensor needs pretty continous air flow over it when the AC is on so the fans will run most all the time when the AC is on regardless of coolant temp....but....the HVAC must be in AUTO and the ambient temp MUST be above 40...or the AC compressor is disabled. If the ambient temp (shown on the outside air temp display) is around 40 or colder the AC compressor is disabled and the fans will not come on due to AC load...they will come on due to coolant temp only.

Sooo.... it is common to see the coolant get hottter on idles in the winter than in the summer many times. In the summer the AC is on so the fans are on regardless...and the coolant stays cooler due to the air flow of the fans. In the winter, only the high coolant temp is turning the fans on so it is common to see it creep higher than it does in the summer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.