A/C in winter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, A/C in winter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I drive my car no more than 130 miles/week, all freeway miles, and usually run my temp control on "econ" ...
    LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

A/C in winter

I drive my car no more than 130 miles/week, all freeway miles, and usually run my temp control on "econ" for gas mileage... I was wondering if I needed to run it "auto" every once in a while to keep the compressor all lubed up. What do you guys run it on in the winter, when it's not on defrost?

I still need a factory keyless remote too. Any info on what to get and how to program it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gibson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: A/C in winter

That's the way to do it,just run it once in a while.I do it just that way.

Bigshot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I run mine 365 days a year. Never had an A/C problem doing that. I used to think A/C robbed cars of hp like in the old days. On newer cars, you MAY get 1mpg better with it off. If you run with the windows down, you will actually get worse mileage than with the A/C on. Check for yourself.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshot
    I run mine 365 days a year. Never had an A/C problem doing that. I used to think A/C robbed cars of hp like in the old days. On newer cars, you MAY get 1mpg better with it off. If you run with the windows down, you will actually get worse mileage than with the A/C on. Check for yourself.
    I can see running the compressor every once in a while to keep it lubed up, but I would imagine running it 365 could be kind of detrimental to its longevity wouldnt it? I know in the Jeep Grand Cherokees, in addition to just being a mechanical part, the compressors would rust the steel lines running to them real bad due to the condensation alone.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Guys....on most all modern cars the AC compressor only runs when it is required. If the climate control is in AUTO then the AC compressor may not be running at all...it will automatically engage when the sytem demand is there. The AC system in an automobile will not pull the evaporator down to a temperature below freezing for more than a few seconds before the compresor is disabled to reduce capacity....otherwise the evaporator could freeze up due to moisture on it. Therefore, the AC compressor is disabled and never runs when the ambient temperature approaches freezing temps. In acutallity, anything below about 40 degrees on the OAT (outside ambient temp) disables the compressor completely no matter where you put the climate control.

Just leave the control in AUTO and you are assured of maintiaining the sytem the best way possible and assuring the most comfort in the cabin. There is no point in selecting ECON in the winter as ECON is the same as AUTO since the compressor is disabled in AUTO anyway....due to the temp being below 40.

Turning the system to AUTO occasionally to "turn on the compressor" accomplishes absolutely nothing....the compressor is disabled automatically if the temp is below 40 and you cannot make it come on unless you park overnight in a warm garage or something to get the OAT to read above freezing at startup. If that is the case then just leave it in AUTO and it will be taken care of for you....the compressor will activate momentarily untill it sees the cold ambient outside the garage and then it will turn off.

In warm (above 40 degrees) weather the AC compressor is running/enabled possibly in AUTO to provide cool air for temperature control in the cabin AND, more importantly for comfort sometimes, for dehumidification. That keeps the cabin comfortable, keeps the windows from fogging and is why the AC compressor is also requested by the climate control system when the DEF is selected.

Modern AC compressors either cycle off and on with the clutch and/or vary their compressor capacity by varing the comprssor displacement due to the HVAC controls. Older systems from the 60's and 70's ran the compressors all the time and just bled off the excess capacity by bypassing the suction/throttling valve. Modern systems, since the early 80's run a fixed orifice expansion tube and control the evaporator core temp by turning the compressor on and off. So, they are very efficient and any perceived fuel economy improvement due to running in the ECON setting is minor...particularily in milder weather...the compressor needs to run very little then anyway and it will still give you the dehumidification necessary for comfort.

The very best thing is to leave it in AUTO all the time. 365 operation is the best thing for it. Even if in AUTO 365 the compressor only runs when necessary so it isn't REALLY running all the time.

akaz87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Whoa Whoa Whoa,
    Cadillacs compressers or running any time the car is on Auto, you should always leave it on Auto. The gas diffrence is absolutly none!!!! Just leave it on Auto and there will be no problems. You do need to run the AC once in a while if your not going to take my advice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.