Water Pump R/R and Other MISC Items
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Water Pump R/R and Other MISC Items in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All, you have a great resource here. I have a '96 Seville STS which has a leaky water pump. ...
    scporter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Water Pump R/R and Other MISC Items

Hi All, you have a great resource here. I have a '96 Seville STS which has a leaky water pump. I am going to replace it and the thermostat myself (I have the special socket -- thanks to the this forum) starting today. My questions are:

0. I am going to try to remove the water pump impellar unit with the water assy. housing still bolted to the block, is this correct?

1. Should I also replace the water pump belt tensioner? How can I tell if the old one needs replacement (the new one was $84 and I would prefer not to use it if it isn't needed)

2. Where is the fuel filter on the car? Is it iin an enclosure under the airfilter enclosure, how do you get the fuel filter out?

3. I also have to put in a new rear passenger electric motor so today's discussion about door panel removal was helpful. The question I have is How do I test to see if power is at the motor when the windo switch is being depressed?

Anyway, thanks for any advice. I'll let the group know how the water pump R/R goes.

Regards,,

Scott from Calif.:coolgleam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Geno Castellano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Water Pump R/R and Other MISC Items

Quote Originally Posted by scporter
    Hi All, you have a great resource here. I have a '96 Seville STS which has a leaky water pump. I am going to replace it and the thermostat myself (I have the special socket -- thanks to the this forum) starting today. My questions are:

0. I am going to try to remove the water pump impellar unit with the water assy. housing still bolted to the block, is this correct?

1. Should I also replace the water pump belt tensioner? How can I tell if the old one needs replacement (the new one was $84 and I would prefer not to use it if it isn't needed)

2. Where is the fuel filter on the car? Is it iin an enclosure under the airfilter enclosure, how do you get the fuel filter out?

3. I also have to put in a new rear passenger electric motor so today's discussion about door panel removal was helpful. The question I have is How do I test to see if power is at the motor when the windo switch is being depressed?

Anyway, thanks for any advice. I'll let the group know how the water pump R/R goes.

Regards,,

Yes, you replace just the water pump impeller/bearing/front cover/pulley that comes as a small "cartridge" that clocks into the backside of the water pump housing/casting. It's one of the easiest water pumps you'll ever change - if you have the correct tool. There's a large "socket" that grips the tangs of the water pump cover/cartridge to unclock it from the machined lugs in the water pump casting. Leave the housing bolted to the engine. Just remove the water pump cover (where the thermostat is located - on the back side of the water pump) 4 bolts and push it aside. Use the large tool to unclock the old water pump cartridge by turning it clockwise. It's "left handed" so you turn it clockwise as viewed from the rear to remove and counter clockwise to install. Some silicone grease or coolant on the water pump front cover o-ring will help ease the installation of the new pump. Reinstall the 4 bolts in the water pump cover.

You must have the special water pump tool to avoid tremendous frustration or a posibly ruined water pump housing. It's easy with the tool and nearly impossible without it. Check rental/auto parts stores for "Northstar water pump tool" as they're pretty common.

As long as the tensioner for the water pump moves freely on it's pivot and the idler pulley turns freely then it is fine. Exercise the tensioner on it's pivot with the small 1/4 drive lug provided and grease/lube the tensioner pivot to make sure it is moving freely. If the idler pulley on the tensioner is rough or has a bad bearing then remove the tensioner to the bench and remove the idle pulley itself. The "sealed" bearing seal can be gently pryed out and the tensioner pulley bearing regreased in most cases to save it. Good preventive measure in any case at this point.

Regards,,

Also, replace the water pump drive belt. It doesn't owe you a dime at this point in time/mileage so treat it to a new one!

Thanks for the advice. I had the special socket to remove the pump (mytools.com $18.80). I ended up replacing the fan belt and the tensioner as the old tensioner sqeaked when I spun the bearing. The whole job took 2 1/2 hours including new upper/lower hoses and thermostat. My water pump came out easy, I guess I was one of the lucky ones as I have heard horror stories when they don't come out easily.

I found very little corrison on the old pump, maybe its the dex coolant? I am still uncertain about the coolant additive people have discussed in this forum.

Anyway, on the the next project (FPR and plug wires).

Thanks again.

Scott :coolgleam

Thanks for the advice. I had the special socket to remove the pump (mytools.com $18.80). I ended up replacing the fan belt and the tensioner as the old tensioner sqeaked when I spun the bearing. The whole job took 2 1/2 hours including new upper/lower hoses and thermostat. My water pump came out easy, I guess I was one of the lucky ones as I have heard horror stories when they don't come out easily.

I found very little corrison on the old pump, maybe its the dex coolant? I am still uncertain about the coolant additive people have discussed in this forum.

Anyway, on the the next project (FPR and plug wires).

Thanks again.

Nice work. Actually they're usually very easy as you describe in my experience. I think the horror stories come from not having the correct tools as I have never had that much trouble, even on a neglected cooling system, getting the pump to come loose.

Replacing the tensioner wasn't that bad. If you kept the old one, take the seal out of the side of the bearing and grease the bearing and keep it for a spare. What's to be uncertain of with the coolant supplement? Use it. It was installed at the factory to guard against nuisance leaks so it was already in your system. It just needs to be replenished like the coolant.

I assume you took the opportunity to refill with fresh 50/50 DexCool/distilled water? Just get the 6 coolant supplement pellets or two tubes of the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder, pop the radiator hose off, put the sealer in the hose and put the hose back on. Refill with the fresh 50/50 premix and you are protected. Lots of info on the coolant supplement on the forum. Go to the search and type in "coolant supplement" and read about it. You should use the sealer. The factory installed it and it is called for in the factory service manual.

How many miles are on your 96? The plugs and wires should be good for at least 100K unless they get damaged. As long as it runs good leave it alone. Use the AC Delco dual platinum tipped plugs as they offer the best life and performance. I recommend the production wires if you really want to change them to avoid any EMI or RFI problems with the electronics on the vehicle. You can search for "tuneup" with the search feature here and read up on that.

Geno, to answer your question:

I had 126,000 miles on my plug wires but I had the plugs changed at 105,000. Before putting on the new wires I pulled all the plugs to verify condition and gap (.050 right?). All looked good. The dealership wanted to replace the wires at the 100K tuneup but I wanted to do it myself to save a few bucks.

I had a hard start condition, so I checked the FPR. The FPR leaked when I pulled the vacuum hose to it (an idea I got from this foum), so I replaced that and now the car doesn't have the hard start.

The dealership said I needed to replace the front ball joints, struts and shocks at the 100K service, so I will do those myself next. I am not sure about the rear control arm (upper and lower) bushings or the larger rear carriage bushing. Any help would be apprecited.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.