Are the 4.9L's good over 140,000 miles - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Are the 4.9L's good over 140,000 miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; NO. Overall engine component wear is very hard to predict. With respect to piston rings, as long as the compression ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    NO. Overall engine component wear is very hard to predict. With respect to piston rings, as long as the compression is good, the rings are good. And the first sign of low compression will be rough idle and reduced fuel mileage. To state that rings in any given engine will be shot by a certain mileage is ridiculous.

vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS
    Our repairman told, that 300 000 miles without major repairs is normal to those engines (of course if maintained well).
    Compression is OK and fuel consumption too (ca. 13 l/100km in city and 10l/100km in highways) - not familiar with your "miles per gallon"

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    With the more complex technology that goes into a sophisticated car today, it amazes me that they can make a lot more of them than the old days. (robots probably do most of the work now) But I don't know that with automation, if the quality improved. People pay a lot more for a hand-built Rolls Royce, etc. Think of the long-term labour that goes into one of those. A cab driver told me that with the Ford 5.0, they go 600,000 kms (not sure of the miles, maybe 380,000?) Can we expect THAT kind of longevity with the Caddy 4.9? With good maintenance of course.

On my fleet cars, I averaged 250K miles before replacing the car. In most cases, those cars still had the original engine. Of course, the percentages of replaced engines was highest with 4.1 engines, followed by 4.6 engines, then 5.7 engines, and the best was the 307 Olds motors.
    Oh and don't forget that hand-built cars would mean that you wouldn't be able to just zip into a dealer or parts store and pick-up replacement parts. Hand-built vs. mass-produced means increased cost and that every replacement part would have to be "custom" fabricated and fitted to the vehicle. I realize that this would not apply to EVERY part on the car but overall, this would be the case.
    FYI:
    This is EXACTLY what caused the Germans to loose the ground war in Europe due to the vast majority of their tank fleet being down at any given time due to lack of parts.

Originally posted by Katshot

FYI:
    This is EXACTLY what caused the Germans to loose the ground war in Europe due to the vast majority of their tank fleet being down at any given time due to lack of parts. [/B]
    ...and they (Hanses) had diesel powered engines, what does not work well in russian winter....
    (well, our teachers said that...)

Unfortunately, there's no real good engine choice besides diesel. Even our turbine engine driven tanks have that same weakness since jet fuel is virtually the same as diesel fuel.

Yes, its not easy to take russia, but they kill eachother anyway...

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Who want's Russia? They can have it!

Dude, there's HUGE oil reserves in Russia. Just think, if you had Russia you wouldn't have to worry about how much oil your Cadillac and Harley leaked or burned

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Or for that matter the FREAKIN GAS PRICES?? (that is if you had a refinery, minor, minor details)

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I wish the U.S. would just take Canada over already! Then maybe we would have some freedom. Here in Saskatchewan, we have the worlds largest supply of natural gas, yet we pay a premium to heat homes. They also just discovered diamonds up north and we have lots of oil as well. This may be off topic but I heard on the news that the U.S. is going to have a fresh water supply problem within the next ten years or so. No problem 'cause Canada already said the polar ice caps can somehow be shipped to the U.S. So you had better be good to me..LOL! PS I thought the M1 Abrams had GM gasoline engines, not diesel?

Originally posted by Katshot
    Dude, there's HUGE oil reserves in Russia. Just think, if you had Russia you wouldn't have to worry about how much oil your Cadillac and Harley leaked or burned
    Dude, My Harleys and Cadillacs never leak or burn oil! I'm a MUCH better mechanic than that!

Ahhh! Laugh now OH great owner of the Fat Turd Schooner (FTS) But it's true! If I see a spot of oil under anything I own it gets fixed NOW! I don't tolerate oil leaks. ( Except of course in the Dodge van, It's a Dodge! ) I'm simply too lazy to clean them up and too much of a neat freak to let them be!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.