Help Please RE:Power Tilt Steering 00 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help Please RE:Power Tilt Steering 00 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I need some help. I have a problem with my Power Tilt and Telescopic Steering for my 00 ...
    jsorensen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 STS

Unhappy Help Please RE:Power Tilt Steering 00 STS

Hey guys, I need some help.
    I have a problem with my Power Tilt and Telescopic Steering for my 00 STS. The steering column is stuck in the exit position.. I tried to adjust it manually and all you hear is a "clicking sound", like its trying to work...anyone with suggestions, i checked the fuses....tried unplugging battery..no luck....Thanks again..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help Please RE:Power Tilt Steering 00 STS

Bump

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sounds like it is mechanical and internal. Stripped gear or something on that order. Some exploratory surgery in in order.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Pull the trouble codes; you are looking for a "B" code.

Thanks guys, I pulled the code today, and it gave me:

B2512 - Strng Wheel Controls Illegal A/D Values

I have no clue what this means, any suggestions? Thanks again.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Just a guess, but A/D may be Actuator/Drive. I would suspect a bad actuator.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

The clicking is probably from the module. It sounds like it's become confused about the limits of travel. You can reset it by holding the button for a few seconds (I think 5-8 seconds) and then letting the column travel in that direction to the stop. Do it in each direction and it should be okay (unless it's lost track of one of the potentiometers that sense the limits).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsorensen
    Thanks guys, I pulled the code today, and it gave me:

B2512 - Strng Wheel Controls Illegal A/D Values

I have no clue what this means, any suggestions? Thanks again.
    This might be useless information, but my '98 Seville Service Manual says B2512 is a fault with the switches at the 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock wheel positions. From the diagram, I would expect A/D to be analog/digital.

And, the DTCs for tilt/telescoping steering column control faults would be B2853, B2858, B2873, and B2878.

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Mine stopped working last week also, but I get no sounds. Thank goodness it stopped in the down position and the telescopic part works, just not tilt..

Quote Originally Posted by Dooman
    Mine stopped working last week also, but I get no sounds. Thank goodness it stopped in the down position and the telescopic part works, just not tilt..
    You should get a faint clicking from the module. It would be unusual for the module to fail. If it works one way but not the other you probably had a motor go bad. There are 2 (one for tilt, one for telescope) and they're identical.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    This might be useless information, but my '98 Seville Service Manual says B2512 is a fault with the switches at the 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock wheel positions. From the diagram, I would expect A/D to be analog/digital.

And, the DTCs for tilt/telescoping steering column control faults would be B2853, B2858, B2873, and B2878.
    Do you think the problem is a short in the wire or some other elec. prob?

Thanks for all of your help everyone....

Clearly the DTC you are seeing does not apply to the problem you are describing.

If it was my car, I would disconnect both battery terminals (negative first) and then put a wrench on the large cable junctions under the rear seat and the large lug aft of the fuse/relay box under the hood. Take your time.

Clean up the battery terminals and the cable ends and reconnect the battery cables (positive first).

Clear the codes and see what happens.

foxman388 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Exclamation Re: Help Please RE:Power Tilt Steering 00 STS

Hello all, Im brand new to the caddy area, Ive been on corvetteforums for a while but just bought a 98 diamond white sts, wow what a car....the only thing i can really find wrong w/ it is the power telescoping feature of the column is inop...from what you guys have said i'm guessing its probably an actuator, although I get no "click" noise from a control module or anything....but the power tilt works great!....any ideas? all help is greatly appreciated...how hard is the actuator to replace? thanks guys
    andy

Quote Originally Posted by foxman388 View Post
    Hello all, Im brand new to the caddy area, Ive been on corvetteforums for a while but just bought a 98 diamond white sts, wow what a car....the only thing i can really find wrong w/ it is the power telescoping feature of the column is inop...from what you guys have said i'm guessing its probably an actuator, although I get no "click" noise from a control module or anything....but the power tilt works great!....any ideas? all help is greatly appreciated...how hard is the actuator to replace? thanks guys
    andy
    Hold the button down for 5-8 seconds in the up or down position and see if it tries to move. You should at least be getting a click from the module (you may not be able to hear it with the trim in place though). The actuator (motor) is not hard to replace. They're bolted to the steering column. You have to take the knee bolster and some other insulating trim down to get to them.

Jim

cl8525 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 black on black STS

I know this tread is old but if the relay is clicking do I need to change the module or the actual device (box)that you hold to telescope? Mine is clicking and I tried the 5-8 sec option this did not work. Also is the module the little white box with the plugs going into it that is under the steering column. Kind of hard to access. ALso would a junkyard piece be recommended? How much are they. Maybe someone can link a ebay listing so i can see what i need to change. Steering will not go up or down in or out. Just clicking relay sound.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.