Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tranny Concerns

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  king of drummers 
#1 ·
Hello guys, well i own a 2000 STS i bought it in early june with 70k miles on it the tranny was flushed by the previous owner. It seems when ever i park on an incline the tranny has a hard time shifting into reverse or if i park on a decline somtimes after coming to a complete stop the car will roll forward a few inches. I often times use the e-brake to try and curve the stress being placed on the tranny but its not as though i am parking on 90* inclines my drive way is small incline.

Is this common for these trannys under such conditions i realize that its a heavy car but thought that the manufacturer would take into accound such conditions.

I have parked many auto cars in my drive way of simular size but without these events occuring.

#7 ·
to be honest i think my park might be f(cked. It has happened to me twice now. I pulled into a parking lot put it in park shut the car off then i couldnt get my key out. Usually meaning that the car isnt in park all the way. I would have to start the car up and drive it around the parking lot then head back to my parking space and usually on the second time of placing it into park and shutting the car off i would be able to get my key out.

So that may be part of the problem. But like i said no codes are thrown so it had me baffled.

#8 ·
Ranger is correct, thats why the car has a "parking" brake. Depress it, hold it down then put the car in park. The parking pin is the diameter of a pencil which comes to rest againt a notched "pawl" within the trans, If the weight of the car is against this pin, it can be very difficult to pull it away with the gear shift and in extreme circumstances can actually break the pin or pawl.

#11 ·
it is possible that your shift cable needs adjusting. However there are times when the parking pawl does not line up with with the slot so the car may roll easily six inches until the parking pawl engages in its slot. The pawl itself is square about 1/2''X 1/2''. The rod that moves the pawl into place is about the diameter of a pencil, but the car in no way relies on it for strength to hold the car back. The normal 1-3 in. is the car taking up the torque slack in the trans, motor mounts, wheel hubs etc. But it does preload the parking pawl, which in extreme cases could lead to a stretched shift cable and hense out of alignment shift position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.