Service ride control? - seville 96
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Service ride control? - seville 96 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My seville 96 displays a message "Service Ride Control" when I drive for 2 or 3 miles. This message stays ...
    john19990 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): seville 96, Catera 97, eldorodo 97

Service ride control? - seville 96

My seville 96 displays a message "Service Ride Control" when I drive for 2 or 3 miles. This message stays a few seconds and reappears again again.

Do you know what can I do? One of the tires had low air pressure that I corrected. However still I am getting this message.

Any idea please?
    Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Service ride control? - seville 96

heres a GREAT IDEA!

pull the mother loving codes

god doesnt anyone understand anything about their cars anymore...

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Your electronic struts will have a sensor attached at each strut.
    Make sure the wire is attached at both ends.
    If the wire is firmly connected, clear the codes.
    If the dreaded SRC message persists, you have 3 choices.

1- Live with it, drive the car and do nothing ... you'll likely notice
    no loss of driveability.
    2- Order new electronic stuts at $800plus per wheel
    3- Order new passive struts from various suppliers (Boston, Arnott, etc.).

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by ted tcb
    Your electronic struts will have a sensor attached at each strut.
    Make sure the wire is attached at both ends.
    If the wire is firmly connected, clear the codes.
    If the dreaded SRC message persists, you have 3 choices.

1- Live with it, drive the car and do nothing ... you'll likely notice
    no loss of driveability.
    2- Order new electronic stuts at $800plus per wheel
    3- Order new passive struts from various suppliers (Boston, Arnott, etc.).
    Umm, the ride hight sensor isn't the only thing that will cause the SRC message to come up.

Your best bet is to pull the codes and tell us what they are so we can tell you what they mean, and tell you how you can fix it.

mylac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 SLS

It's most likely a bad sensor. These sensors aren't cheap. Dealer wants $500+. Then you might have to replace you ride control computer at another $1000.
    I switched to passive struts on the front (Arnott) and still receive the message.

Quote Originally Posted by mylac
    It's most likely a bad sensor. These sensors aren't cheap. Dealer wants $500+. Then you might have to replace you ride control computer at another $1000.
    I switched to passive struts on the front (Arnott) and still receive the message.
    Which is why you should check the codes so you're not throwing money at it blindly.

milkco is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the same thing with my 96 SLS. The right front. Sensor was up in the doghouse and touching a metal line. Repositioned the sensor and no more distracting message.

The computer code told me it was the right front. Other than that I am very satisfied with the Arnott system. I got front and back. Cadillac wanted $5400.00 for parts alone, not counting tax or installation for the structs and shocks! And the guy at the dealership told me that the right front might not be available! What is with that?

Jim Rankin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 seville

I have a 97 seville. after all this reading, I don't know if I'm working with an air pump or just sensors???? Hopefully a friend of mine can ID the codes. If too much $$$, I'll just have the code reset, and ride into the sunset.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I'll just have the code reset, and ride into the sunset.
    ?!?!?!? I am confused (but is poetic).
    Just post the codes here and we can point you one way or the other.
    There is no such thing as magic code reset. I mean you can reset the codes but should the issue persist the codes will come back.

Press and hold the OFF and Passenger warmer buttons at the same time to enter diagnostics mode... The dashboard will light up like a christmas tree then it will start telling you the codes.... Afterwards you can press the OFF button once to have it repeat the codes, or you can turn the key off to exit diagnostics mode... Post the codes up here for help and advise.

john19999 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997

What is location of the sensor for front tires. Do I have to remove tires to see the sensor.I have getting service ride control message occassionally for the last 3 or 4 years for my Seville SLS 96.

Thanks
    John

Does anyone know where is sensor for service ride contorl located on front axle. I have service ride control message for Seville SLS 96 appearing intermittently for several years. Do I need to remove tires to reach the sensor?

Thanks
    John

John,

For God sake just pull the codes to see which sensor or strut is. Could be either a height sensor or the solenoids in the struts, or wiring or actual CVRSS module internal error.
    Read here how to pull the codes.
    You don't need to pay anybody to come up with some magic tool to read your codes, the car has all incorporated. Just press two buttons and it will display the codes on the IPC strip (where you read the "Service ride control").
    The link has a shortcut to the list of codes (your car is '96 and newer so chose wisely). You can also post the codes here and we can tell you exactly what screw to turn.
    Should you need to understand how is your suspension system works then read this article.
    But first pull the codes and don't worry if you don't get the message in that instance, the car remembers and will display the codes specifying if current or history issue.

N*Caddy,

Thank you so much for nice information. I will spend some time on it in a week or so and will post back. Again thank you.

John

John,

Here is a image I posted some while back (back when my car had no BOSE) and it couldn't show in a much suggestive matter how to access your diagnose mode (where you can read the codes):

Don't worry you can NOT hurt anything.

First turn the key to ON (you can either start the engine or not important key is in ON position)
    Follow the steps in the picture:
    Step A. After 2-3 seconds of holding the two buttons shown the whole dash board (lights displays) will turn on for 2 seconds or so. IS OK!! is just a test to make sure that all lights and display pixels/elements are working.
    Step B. Point your attention to the display strip on the IPC and you will see something like:
    "B1234 Current"
    "C4321 History"
    "NO RFA CODES"
    "NO MMM CODES"
    "PCM?"
    Each code will be shown for 1-2 seconds so you have to have a fast eye and a paper with a pen to write them quickly. Alternatively use some cell phone (or what ever device) to film the sequence.
    Once the codes are finished and the enumeration will stop and the display will show something like "PCM?" then that's it the codes are finished you can just turn OFF the key and exit the Diagnose procedure.
    Alternatively press "OFF" on the climate control and Diagnose mode is restarted (i.e. all the dash lights/displays are on). While all the lights are one press again "OFF" and you are out of the Diagnose mode. At ANY time you can just turn the key to OFF and that's it.
    By the way, since yours is a '96 it will display the codes as a 2 letters followed by a 4 digit number rather than one letter and 4 digits as in the '97 and newer.

The whole procedure last 1 minute, is something you can do just before stepping out of the car once you park it on the drive way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.