Cadillac Owners Forum banner
8K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  Brett 
#1 ·
#52 ·
Katshot said:
You didn't read my post about the Grand National motor did you?
Besides that, ljklaiber is right, the V6 IS inherently a poor design. The balance of a V6 is flawed right from the start. And as for the Buick 3.8, the original ones shook at idle like a hound dog sh%#in' a razor blade. That's the reason those engines had such a LOW idle spec. Plus, the 3800 smoothed things out with a balance shaft which is a COMMON item found in V6's to combat the natural imbalance of the motor.
Ok if the V6s are poorly designed then explain to me how they can take a motor like the 4.3L V6 in which is a 350 missing two cylndrs and make it a real workhorse with lots of stock hp. This engine by far exceded any other mfg stock class motor such as fords 4.0L. The vortex option sure did wonders for it. And I dont know who's blown up a gn motor in 60k but damn it change the oil in it and it wont blow up. I have a friend with over 140,000 on his stock GN with kenney bell racing turbo and intercooler on it and had no motor problems at all. Maybe he's the lucky one but I doubt it . All in all chevy has made dependable proformace engines before so it's not unlikely they can produce a better one in the future.

#53 ·
gspencer914 said:
Ok if the V6s are poorly designed...
Someday I'm going to regret this...

What Kat meant was any V6 is inferior to an inline (straight) six engine. V6 engines aren't as balanced as a V8 or inline 6. The reason for making the V6 is packaging (making the hood shorter) and commonality of parts with other V's.

Now that hurt...:D

#54 ·
!

It would be interesting to make an I6 FWD...... Very wide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.