What are some of the most expensive repairs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What are some of the most expensive repairs? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay. Can anyone name the most expensive repairs on these cars? Past experiences, anyone? What are the things you fear ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

What are some of the most expensive repairs?

Okay. Can anyone name the most expensive repairs on these cars? Past experiences, anyone? What are the things you fear most because of cost? I'm referring to costs after the warranty has expired...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Anything engine or trans related would obviously be the most expensive to fix on a one-time bill, but some intermittent driveability problems can get even more expensive in the wrong hands.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    replacement of the entire steering column: $1,800 msrp, $1,400 aftermarket

I think the exhaust system is over $2k

Thanks.. How about computers and things like the suspension? Anyone have any experiences? Post 'em all here...

Hopefully this can become a thread that'll help me put together a list of things to "be aware of" or to put money away for "just in case"...

Thanks...

new central computer thingy (size of a golf ball) $500

They wanted $225 to replace the actuator that releases the parking/emergency brake

speaking of brakes...all 4: $800

trunk latch motor: $55

Factory stereo head unit: $900

Starter: $400

BTW these are for the parts only incl. my prior post

andymac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    For my 92 Seville, they want 350 for they front and 400 for the back to replace my struts/shocks, can't remember. Anyway, they are computer controlled, but even cadillac uses a third party kinda thing that doesn't dependon the computer, so replacing them are cheaper than 2 years ago.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I've never had any computer problems. The computers in these cars are realitivly bullet proof!

Actuator to realease parking brake.....$ 50 at wrecking yard.

Brakes ......$150 all four including turn the rotors. Did the labor myself.

Stereo head unit Reconditioned ( Link on this site )..... $150 to $200. Installed myself.

Starter rebuild..... $50 did the work myself, including R/R.

KYB passive struts.....around $70 each! Installed myself!

You can maintain these cars inexpensively....But you gotta do the labor yourself! You should also shop around for the parts!many times used is as good as new. Many times you can buy the components and rebuild stuff yourself and save a ton of money!

These prices quoted are within the last month or two and are for my car and a couple of my buddies cars that I work on and represent my cost for doing the jobs myself.The brake job was on my car and the cost shown is the total that I paid + about two hours of my time!

kc...you are the reason I will never go thru the dealer again unless it's under warranty, something complicated, or I can't find the part myself!

How hard is it to instal new stabilizer links? I think they wanna charge $300 for all 4.

eehoepp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 STS - pearl white
    Stabilizer bar end links are a snap. I've done them on a few different vehicles. Quite often, you can even do the front ones without jacking up the car - just crank the steering to expose the link. Easier with the car raised, of course.

The only potential problem is rust (depends on your climate). The end links generally see a lot of tire splash & can rust in pretty good. Usually, if you can't unscrew the nuts, you can twist them off. The blue wrench (cutting torch) helps, but isn't essential.

I agree with that! The thing to remember is that it's just a bunch of stuff bolted together a certain way! As long as you can get it together the same way.....You're in business! These things are easier than you would think to work on once you get passed the intimidation factor I.M.O.!

The shocks aren't $1000.00 any more? Wasn't there something to do with a computer chip attached that needed to be replaced when the shock was replaced.

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    The shocks aren't $1000.00 any more? Wasn't there something to do with a computer chip attached that needed to be replaced when the shock was replaced.

You've gotta go back and read that post a little more carefully Sal. Passive struts! Not those silly Cadillac Computer Controlled nightmares!

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
    Anything to do with ABS = $

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I don't know what the most expensive repair is, but the most annoying has to be my radio which fails to work and has been out of the car twice in 2 weeks!!

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    There are going to be quirks like that on every car. No car is completely quirk free its entire life!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.