used car buying question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, used car buying question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok im not in the market currently for a used car. but i was wondering when i do, how do ...
    fpmesiIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)

Question used car buying question

ok im not in the market currently for a used car. but i was wondering when i do, how do you determine what options the vehicle has if the owner you are buying from doesnt know? for example say i want to buy 2002 sls/sts. how do i know that it has HIDs? or how do i know it has magneride? will a carfax say all the options that were put on for the car ?

some of these options are hard to tell just from looking at the vehicle, if they are not what are some tips for checking to see if the vehicle has the desireable options? thanks

i was just reading that "for 2001, a sport package included 17-inch W-rated tires and suspension tweaks to match, tire-pressure monitoring, HID lighting, and rear-parking assist--a good package to seek out." (motor trend, march 2005) is this option possible on the 2001 or 2002 sls? i like everything this option has cept for the parking assist, i think it takes away from the sleekness of the car, with those raised circles on the back of the bumper. is it possible to have everything except for the parking assist?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: used car buying question

Ask the seller to read off the RPO codes. They are on the underside of the spare tire cover on the Sevilles. A dealer might also be able to run the VIN and tell you the options it has.
    Other than that, the HIDs, you would have to look at the headlamps themselves for the ballasts. And I'm not sure how to check for magna ride other than the RPO codes.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I can tell you that the '02 SLS has rear parking assist standard. Tire pressure monitor, magneride & hid are not standard and I am not sure which if any are optional. Probably standard on STS.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

For '02, the premium performance package was optional on the STS, and not offered on the SLS. It came with the wood trim, 6 disc changer, 17" wheels, HID's, DVD Navigation, phone integration kit, and tire pressure monitor. For '01 and '02, all STS's had CVRSS suspension (Magnaride), while it wasn't offered on SLS's. I hope this helps.

Don

fpmesiIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)

this is what i picked up from an ebay auction, he is saying that

"Magnetic ride control (F55 suspension). This is the world’s fastest-reacting suspension system. It almost instantly adjusts suspension settings to your steering wheel input or to changes in the road surface. This improves balance, handling, and body control without generating harshness. Magnetic ride control replaced the continuously variable road-sensing suspension in January of 2002. This car is a late 2002 model that includes the mag ride suspension that is still used today. This suspension greatly improves the ride over the past system. When looking at 2002 models, make sure it was built in January 2002 or later. The F55 code will be listed on the options sticker located in the trunk. "

so he is saying that magneride only came into production during late 2002 models.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.