Fuel Pump Died, replacement help.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Fuel Pump Died, replacement help. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my way home my car died on me, after cussing and elminating every possible problem, I found out the ...
    JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Fuel Pump Died, replacement help.

On my way home my car died on me, after cussing and elminating every possible problem, I found out the fuel pump is shot. How hard is this thing to get out of the car? From the looks of things, the exaust system needs to be dropped. Am I lucky and they side mounted it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Re: Fuel Pump Died, replacement help.

I'm not sure about the previous chassis, but on my '98 underneath the carpeting in the trunk, there is a service hatch held down with three bolts that will allow access to the fuel sending unit. Like I said, your could be different, I'm not sure if they changed the gas tank a whole lot between years.

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No such luck..it's mounted on top...however you do not need to mess with the exhaust system,
    I just posted this last week in a different thread. It has to do with draining the tank and replacing the pump.....

Just went through this...damn anti theft device anyway. I had just filled up my tank when the pump went. Tried to loosen the fuel filler hose, but couldn't get a good grip on it. Said screw it and went to autozone and picked up an electric fuel pump for $30. Mounted it to a piece of wood, soldered 2 extension wires on it (12 feet), soldered on 2 alligator clips. Pulled the fuel filter loose from the front (output side) and connected the hose to the fuel pump (inlet). I drew power from the engine compartment fuse box (Main Buss, pulled the whole cover) and grounded on the strut tower stud. Ran the outlet fuel line into a gas can (Had 3, two 5 gallons and a 2.5 gal can).
    Although it did take about 20-30 mins to drain the tank this way, it certainly was a cinch and I didn't take a bath in gas. Plus running it through the fuel filter assures that I'm not getting crap into my $30 pump. IMO it was certainly worth the xtra $$$ for the aux. fuel pump which is still mounted and with a 12 foot wire harness.

As for dropping the tank, get the car up on 4 jackstands. The passenger side strap front bolt is hidden underneath all the exhaust shielding so don't worry about that one. Remove the back bolt on the pass. side amd bend the strap downwards. Get a jack with a piece of wood or something similar, I used a tranny jack with a small piece of plywood under the tank...didn't wanna pop a hole in it. Once your jack is in place, remove the drivers side strap. Make sure your fuel lines and electrical connections are completely disconnected at this point. Slowly lower the jack down. What your going to have is the drivers side of the tank drop, and thats OK...thats all you really need. I did have to pull it down some to gain the neccessary clearance. When you have enough room, clean the area around the big nut holding down the pump...you don't want to get a bunch of garbage in your tank. The nut has notches all the way around it. It was on tight and I couldn't budge it by hand. I took a very large screw driver placed against one of the notches and smacked the screw driver with the palm of my hand. Thats all the pressure it needed to break loose. Once that's off you can pull the pump out. Just be careful of the float lever when you take it out and put it back in. I still had a few gallons of gas in the bottom....maybe 3 or so and it wasn't a problem. When you have the pump secure just gentley jack the tank back into position and reinstall your straps.
    Once the tank was empty the rest of this took about 40 mins to do.

There are other ideas of how to drain the tank in the other thread which is ...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ank-drain.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks alot for the information. It's gonna help me alot. Wouldn't ya know it, the second I put gas in, the fuel pump goes out.

I got the fuel pump out, thanks for the perfect instructions, and found something very disturbing. Two wires had melted together on the pump, INSIDE the tank . Dosen't this seem like a BIT of a safety hazzard? The pump is still good, but the harness is whats fubar. Anyone know where I can get the top part and the harness?

acklac7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz

Quote Originally Posted by JC316
    I got the fuel pump out, thanks for the perfect instructions, and found something very disturbing. Two wires had melted together on the pump, INSIDE the tank . Dosen't this seem like a BIT of a safety hazzard? The pump is still good, but the harness is whats fubar. Anyone know where I can get the top part and the harness?

The whole "wires melting together" scenario is beginning to pop up more and more..Makes me wonder how often the pumps them selves actually fail.......In regards to the melted ends....There needs to be 3 things present in order for combustion to occur...Fuel, an ignition source, and oxygen. Fortunately there isn't enough oxygen inside the tank to support combustion...I know it sounds strange...But those wires can spark and sputter all they want, nothing is going to happen

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

PJS, that's a great write up. Why don't you put that in tech tips where it belongs!

JC316, The harness failure is becoming common. The normal recommendation is to change the harness with the pump. You should change the pump now because it probably is drawing too much amperage and will damage the new harness quickly.

STS-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You can buy a new harness for about $15 that will solve that problem. One thing that would help is to jack the car up high enough to drop the tank down far enough and four jack stands help a lot. I put a couple pounds of air into the filler tube for the tank a blew the gas out of the filter line rather than pump it out with a fuel pump but it depends on how much equipment you have on hand.

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    PJS, that's a great write up. Why don't you put that in tech tips where it belongs!

JC316, The harness failure is becoming common. The normal recommendation is to change the harness with the pump. You should change the pump now because it probably is drawing too much amperage and will damage the new harness quickly.
    Thanks dude, I'll do that....

The first thing I checked on mine was the harness...expected to see it fried like everyone else's, but it was perfect, I guess the impeller finally let go ( I remember from somewhere that was the other problem these pumps have). The pump I bought was complete w/ new sending unit and harness.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.