great news!!!!!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, great news!!!!!!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok, so about ten minutes ago i went to a closed air base down the street from me and did ...
    01SLS01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

great news!!!!!!!!!

ok, so about ten minutes ago i went to a closed air base down the street from me and did my first WOT on the run way, and boy was it the most exciting thing of this year!!

now is carbon burn off smell usually, cause after i did WOTS once or twice, and stopped at a red light on my way home, there was a really horrendous smell, i figured it was carbon burning off, does that sound right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Re: great news!!!!!!!!!

Usually, you won't smell the carbon coming out the exhaust, since it is exiting the rear of the car at high velocity in the opposite direction. What kind of smell was it? Did it smell like some form of hydrocarbon (i.e. oil, gasoline,..ect) or was it more of a chemical smell. You really shouldn't smell anything at all unless you put your face in front of the exhaust, in which case you are more likely to choke on the fumes of unburned fuel, than carbon. If you can, try to be a little more specific as to the type of smell.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I've never encountered a horrible smell while doing WOTs, but then again I drive hard enough that carbon probably has no chance of building up in the first place. Anyway I'm jealous, I wish I had a closed down runway near me, I have to do my speedy shenannegans at the track which costs money or way the hell out on the west mesa.

White99SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville SLS

When I first bought the car and did a WOT I smelled something, pretty bad actually, it was only for a few seconds then it went away. A week later my car started running like crap so I changed the plugs and wires, and did a WOT and smelled it again and I haven't smelled it since, it smelled like a really bad fart to tell you the truth, like a sulfur smell I don't know if thats what your smell was............................

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Ahh...I see. I take it the previous owner didn't romp on it a whole lot. If it's gone, don't worry about it. As long as you drive it in a psirited manner every now and then, it shouldn't come back.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Ahhhhhh, I remember my first WOT. Good times

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): (his) '98 SLS - 195K 09/2011 - (hers) 2012 Ford Escape

Quote Originally Posted by gary88
    Ahhhhhh, I remember my first WOT. Good times
    you guys talk about your "first time" doing a WOT like your "first time" with a girl.
    does life get any better than a caddy and a girl?

sorry for the thread jacking.

99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by White99SLS
    When I first bought the car and did a WOT I smelled something, pretty bad actually, it was only for a few seconds then it went away. A week later my car started running like crap so I changed the plugs and wires, and did a WOT and smelled it again and I haven't smelled it since, it smelled like a really bad fart to tell you the truth, like a sulfur smell I don't know if thats what your smell was............................
    If it smelled like rotten eggs, it was most likely your catalytic converter (cat)

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by iametarq
    you guys talk about your "first time" doing a WOT like your "first time" with a girl.
    does life get any better than a caddy and a girl?

sorry for the thread jacking.
    Good analogy anyway....I think!...well maybe....ummmm....perhaps.... heck I'm so old I can't remember back that faaaaar. LOL

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Thraed Hijack:

TexasSeville where exactly in Texas are you? I'm in houston

the smell was like a really bad fart smell, that and something burning, and it only stayed in the car for a few seconds, and after i did the WOT i stopped very shortly after, so maybe the carbon couuld have been leaking out of the exhaust and into the car possibly?, and the car was owned since 2001 from an elderly man, that traveled

Yeah, I had just bought my 1999 SLS with 51,000 miles and I don't think it was driven hard at all because the first time I did the WOT I saw a huge amount of black come out of the exhaust, then I did it a second and a little more came out, then finally that was it. I do WOT's regularly so I haven't encountered that smell, it was like it was coming through the vents in the car.................

Quote Originally Posted by White99SLS
    Yeah, I had just bought my 1999 SLS with 51,000 miles and I don't think it was driven hard at all because the first time I did the WOT I saw a huge amount of black come out of the exhaust, then I did it a second and a little more came out, then finally that was it. I do WOT's regularly so I haven't encountered that smell, it was like it was coming through the vents in the car.................
    yea, so would that smell be carbon burn off?

Not sure........

mikeay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

I'm curious, mine sometime has that smell of late. To me it kind of smells like burning plactic (toxic) smell.

Next time you smell it, pop the hood and see if it's more noticeable under the hood.
    See attached "Vacuum Cap" #13, get a good sniff around there. See if it's more noticeable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.