Things to look for on a used STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Things to look for on a used STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My girlfriend has driven an Escalade sined '02 with very good results. I am now loosing my company car and ...
    jakee is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Things to look for on a used STS

My girlfriend has driven an Escalade sined '02 with very good results. I am now loosing my company car and want to purchase a used STS 97-2000 range. cars all seem to be in the 80,000 to 110.000 Mileage range. I will be taking the car to a certified mechanic to go thruogh it with a fine tooth comb but as i'm looking at these various beasts before I get to the mechanics inspection is the anything that I should lookd at or check myself that might cut down on the potential car canidates? I have heard such horror stories about these cars and yet the few people that I have known 02 Escalade and 03 DTS have been extremely pleased and found the cars reliable.
    This car will be mostly a commuter car for me (approx20miles a day)
    Any suggestions and or help would be appreciated.
    Jakee

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

corvette00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette

Re: Things to look for on a used STS

I would look to purchase a used vehicle from a Cadillac dealer that is certified (less than 60k miles) to 6 years 100k

bhoppes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

You may want to consider a 2000 or later due to the fact that 2000 and later do not require premium fuel. I also agree with corvette00, get a certified used car. I just bought a 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS, which I love, and after the dealer delivered it to me, the front heated seats didn't work, the a/c didn't work and the fog lamp was screwed up. I bought my car and it has a remaining factory warranty. You WILL want to buy a car with a warranty on it, and possibly purchase an extended warranty. As much as I love Cadillac they are costly to repair. The one good thing is that the newer models are more reliable and have better quality. Other then that, if you are looking for specific options, this website should help....http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The 92-04 "STS" is officially called the "Seville", in STS trim. The 2005 and later vehicle is called by itself the "STS".

Thread moved for better exposure.

mikeay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

Jesda
    www.JESDASPANTS.com ???

Thats funny...

jakee is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks to all for your replies, I'm about ready to give up on the search. I have come to believe that there are no used Seville STS's in Ontario that don't leak oil. Over the last few weeks I have viewed over a dozen STS's from '97 to 2000. Apparantly I don't have the same definition of "mint" condition as the rest of the population. Of the few that warranted a closer look ALL had oil leaks...Does anyone have one that doesn't leak oil?

mikeay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

I'm in ontario too. I have a friend of a friend who has an 01 for sale. 130km

not sure about the oil leak, I haven't seen the car, he just mentioned it to me today.

I have a 96 that doesn't leak oil. If your interested in going down a few years I'll sell it to you, But you'll have to get the heads done. At least it doesn't leak oil EH!

Mike Green is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi. I live in Brockville, Ontario, Canada.

I purchased my 01 STS (last November) from findacar.com, located in the Ottawa and Kingston, Ontario area. They sold me a winner - what a great car!! No leaks, no problems as of yet. Cleanest used car I have ever seen. They buy cars (mostly GM) after 1, 2 3, or 4 lease years. A car on lease must be maintained to a high degree by the owner, or they violate the lease. These would be the most reliable vehicles to buy. I paid a little extra (much negotiating went on), but I'm all smiles when I drive my prize.

I prefer the 2001 over the 2000 because that is when the switch to unleaded fuel ocurred. Also, some subtle performance improvements to the N* and the suspension, 17" wheels, and HID headlamps.

I was nervous about buying such a 'complex' vehicle. I have a decent shop including a lift, and have been 'playing' with cars since the mid 60s'. Then, changing points and plugs or rebuilding a carb usually solved most problems and cost almost nothing.

Now - the Caddy is a different animal. 3 extra thick Helm's manuals kinda tells the story. All that electronics (and I'm an electrical engineer) is worrisome. So much can go wrong. As a result, I did purchase an extended warranty. There seems to be some contraversy over this. Perhaps it was a waste of money - in fact I hope it was. It's just an insurance policy.

Prior to my purchase, I asked for a copy of the vehicle's service record. This is available for all leased cars. It's quite a useful tool.

When I got to findacar.com, they handed me the keys and let me take the car out by myself (after photocopying my license). I rode around for an hour and a half. It just felt right.

I don't work for these guys - I'm just happy with the car.

Cadillacs rock......

Eldobroken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jakee
    Thanks to all for your replies, I'm about ready to give up on the search. I have come to believe that there are no used Seville STS's in Ontario that don't leak oil. Over the last few weeks I have viewed over a dozen STS's from '97 to 2000. Apparantly I don't have the same definition of "mint" condition as the rest of the population. Of the few that warranted a closer look ALL had oil leaks...Does anyone have one that doesn't leak oil?
    Jakee I have had a few 94-2000 Northstars. Here is a rundown. 94 Eldo ETC Leaked oil fixed it leaked again did get 180K out of this car though. 97 Eldo ETC Leaked got rid of it.
    Also have a 2000 Seville SLS knock on wood 67K never leaked a drop.
    Just picked up a 2000 ETC pearl also runs great looks like it never leaked. AFIK the 2000 an up N*s were fixed as far as leaks different gasket I am told. Hope this helps you.
    Newest Eldo http://dnnn.com/Photos/album01/Eldo2?full=1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.