Are 93-96 Fleetwoods Collectible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Are 93-96 Fleetwoods Collectible? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After purchasing our 95 STS Seville for my wife, I thought a Deville for me would be more my size.(all ...
    blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Are 93-96 Fleetwoods Collectible?

After purchasing our 95 STS Seville for my wife, I thought a Deville for me would be more my size.(all 6' 5" of me). I have noticed a few Fleetwoods out there that peak my interest. A 96 would make for a cool ride. I don't care for the two tone paint jobs on most,(an all BLACK with tinted windows would be my pick) but I like all the room and I think these come with Corvette motors in them? Is their gas mileage similar to a Deville? Or would a Deville be as roomy and make a better car? What do guys think on the subject? I've read Fleetwoods sell fast on the car lots? Maybe collector interest?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

Re: Are 93-96 Fleetwoods Collectible?

Fleetwoods generally fall into 2 classes. #1 being people who realize what kind of car they have and usually don't get rid of them. #2 If you do find one it may be abused and need some work. They are well known in the RWD sectors because of their motor,aftermarket, and their reliabilty. We have several members on here(Katshot, HRS, 509Rider, shadowLVR,NODIH, and a few others) who have some really nice Fleetwoods and I think CaddyCruiser has 2(93,95) In all the Fleetwood has about 10-15 inches more interior room and is more of a cruising car unless you want to mod it( huge aftermarket). The Deville is a nice car but doesn't have the huge aftermarket available like the Fleetwood. The engines in both cars are nice and can be DIY if repairs are needed. Both ride very nice although you get more of a sofa on wheels feel in the Fleetwood. So I guess it comes down to what you want. If you want the feel of the STS but in a bigger package then get the Deville and if you want the push you back in your seat, road sofa floating feel get the Fleetwood. The Fleetwoods are becoming a collector's item due to the fact that we might not see another big Caddy like that for a while and the options available to you for customization or modding not to mention the direct link to old school muscle so, if you can, get one while you still can.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

People collect what they like. Fleetwood's a cool car. Needs 4 more cylinders (just like almost every other car on the road) but disregarding that awful omission, it's a good car with good performance.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The Deville and Fleetwood are two totally different cars. If you were to compare a '96 in each model, you'd find that both ride exceptionally smooth and quiet, and both have good power. IMO, that's about where the similarities end though.
    The Deville is a FWD unibody car, while the Fleetwood is a RWD body on frame car. The Deville has a 4.6 liter Northstar engine (which I'm not particularly impressed with from a reliability angle) while the Fleetwood has a 5.7 liter LT1 which is derived from the Corvette. If you're interested at all in modding the car for performance, the Fleetwood is much easier since it's quite simply already starting with a virtual clone of the Impala SS drivetrain.
    I personally believe the Fleetwood to be a more reliable and durable car from the ground up but that's mostly due to is being a simpler, more basic car. Old-school if you will. Is the Fleetwood collectible? Maybe. I know it IS getting hard to find nice examples of it around the country and they are seeming to be commanding ever higher prices, so if that translates into them being "collectible", well I guess maybe they are.
    You should drive both and judge for yourself, just remember that they are 10 year old cars with plenty of mileage on them, so they may not be what they once were.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    The Deville and Fleetwood are two totally different cars. If you were to compare a '96 in each model, you'd find that both ride exceptionally smooth and quiet, and both have good power. IMO, that's about where the similarities end though.
    The Deville is a FWD unibody car, while the Fleetwood is a RWD body on frame car. The Deville has a 4.6 liter Northstar engine (which I'm not particularly impressed with from a reliability angle) while the Fleetwood has a 5.7 liter LT1 which is derived from the Corvette. If you're interested at all in modding the car for performance, the Fleetwood is much easier since it's quite simply already starting with a virtual clone of the Impala SS drivetrain.
    I personally believe the Fleetwood to be a more reliable and durable car from the ground up but that's mostly due to is being a simpler, more basic car. Old-school if you will. Is the Fleetwood collectible? Maybe. I know it IS getting hard to find nice examples of it around the country and they are seeming to be commanding ever higher prices, so if that translates into them being "collectible", well I guess maybe they are.
    You should drive both and judge for yourself, just remember that they are 10 year old cars with plenty of mileage on them, so they may not be what they once were.
    Isn't that the Fleetwood Brougham? The Fleetwood and Deville are virtually identical, except the Fleetwood has more bells and whistles. My service manual says right on it "1990 Deville/Fleetwood." Did they change something on the 96? Sorry, just confused because I don't pay enough attention to the newer ones lol.

P.S. As far as I know, Fleetwoods are collectible, as there were fewer made than Devilles... I think the two-door early 90s models are especially unusual. Of course the real envy is the 60 special :-D.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfin
    Isn't that the Fleetwood Brougham? The Fleetwood and Deville are virtually identical, except the Fleetwood has more bells and whistles. My service manual says right on it "1990 Deville/Fleetwood." Did they change something on the 96? Sorry, just confused because I don't pay enough attention to the newer ones lol.
    The RWD body on frame 93-96 cars were called "Fleetwood" and Brougham was an option package on the Fleetwood. The FWD Fleetwood was last made in 92. Why Cadillac screwed with the names in the first place by making a FWD Fleetwood, I'll never know...

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by addison_ii
    Fleetwoods generally fall into 2 classes. #1 being people who realize what kind of car they have and usually don't get rid of them. #2 If you do find one it may be abused and need some work. They are well known in the RWD sectors because of their motor,aftermarket, and their reliabilty. We have several members on here(Katshot, HRS, 509Rider, shadowLVR,NODIH, and a few others) who have some really nice Fleetwoods and I think CaddyCruiser has 2(93,95) In all the Fleetwood has about 10-15 inches more interior room and is more of a cruising car unless you want to mod it( huge aftermarket). The Deville is a nice car but doesn't have the huge aftermarket available like the Fleetwood. The engines in both cars are nice and can be DIY if repairs are needed. Both ride very nice although you get more of a sofa on wheels feel in the Fleetwood. So I guess it comes down to what you want. If you want the feel of the STS but in a bigger package then get the Deville and if you want the push you back in your seat, road sofa floating feel get the Fleetwood. The Fleetwoods are becoming a collector's item due to the fact that we might not see another big Caddy like that for a while and the options available to you for customization or modding not to mention the direct link to old school muscle so, if you can, get one while you still can.
    Yes, I have 2 and love them both. One is a '93 with the older TBI 5.7L with 185 hp, and the other is a '95 with the highly regarded LT1 5.7L. In addition, we also have a '92 Roadmaster, so I think the fact that they're collectable is clear...but also that they're still TERRIFIC daily drivers, as that's what we use ours for. Even with the larger V8, fuel economy is quite good, and the engines are both durable as could be and easy to work on.

The RWD was also a huge selling point, particularly in combination with the "old tech" body on frame nature, just because I like the feel of RWD more and it's all so simple...repairs are almost never expensive. And when they do happen, you don't need someone special to work on it, as I actually take mine to the local Buick-Pontiac dealer garage, and they do get everything done perfectly and quickly.

There aren't as many around as there are Devilles, and because of the classic huge size and V8/RWD/full frame layout, the people who do buy them are sort of a unique market...mainly because, to this day, so few people know much about them. The '94-96 models are still the most highly regarded because of the Vette engine, but having lived with and driven a '93 with the older, less powerful TBI 350, it's still a beast and can hold its own with my LT1 '95, I think.

And yeah, depending on where you're at, they do seem to get scoffed up pretty quickly as soon as they appear for sale, because of the rarity and collection factor. Problem is, it seems that more than half you'll find are beat to death and falling apart, and the other ones are immaculate "little old people garage cars" that sometimes are priced a bit higher, but you can still find very nice examples quite cheaply.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The RWD body on frame 93-96 cars were called "Fleetwood" and Brougham was an option package on the Fleetwood. The FWD Fleetwood was last made in 92. Why Cadillac screwed with the names in the first place by making a FWD Fleetwood, I'll never know...
    Yeah, and in '92 and before, when the FWD Fleetwood model of the Deville was still being made, the large RWD car was just called the Brougham. I never got why it took them until '93 to straighten it out either...but, actually, after reading through some marketing materials I have on the '93 model, it turns out that Caddy was planning on calling the RWD cars just "Brougham" again with the '93 redesign, but people in a focus group just a few months before intro told them that "Fleetwood" was a better name for the car, and "Brougham" should just be a higher end option. And that's how it ended up working out...

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Cadillac's shuffling of names between the mid 80's and early 90's have really caused a major pain in the ass when it comes to looking up parts. To this day, you can still find all kinds of mistakes in parts books and online parts "look-up" sites due to this issue.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I don't think that the 93-96 Fleetwoods will ever be come "collectible" in the mainstream market like a Corvette or a Trans Am will be, but collectible in the Cadillac and luxury market? Yes I do believe they will be. Due to their sheer size, the relative shortage of them and the fact that they were the last of the traditional size sedans.

That being said, between a '96 DeVille and a '96 Fleetwood Brougham, I would take the DeVille because it's more modern, has more features, is more sophisticated, and the FWD is a benefit in the Minnesota climate, but I'm sure that a 4500lb Fleetwood Brougham would be very good in the snow with a good set of tires.

And lastly, I loooove the performance of the Northstar V8!

Beefmalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The '94-96 LT1 Fleetwoods are already collectible. Compare the price of a low mileage original to the same year Deville or Seville and see what I mean. Your average beater with 130k is a $3000 car, but units with under 50k miles bring $10k+++ easily.

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Garnet Red Metallic

I agree, they are collectible.. they bring far more money than book value.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The Fleetwoods are longer, but looking at interior shots on ebay at the back seat space and they look like they have no more room than a Deville. Is the extra space in the extended trunk? I have also seen some 1998-99 Devilles with a Fleetwood stretch. Was that some kind of rare option? Since I come for from a "Muscle Car" backround, and have owned(and currently) piloted 1970's era Trans Am's, I like the thought of them having rear drive, LT1 motor and lots of custom parts available to "hot rod" one up. I also like the fact that they don't make them anymore. My 95 STS reminds me of my Bandit T/A, both black, long and sleek, sit low and have to almost climb out of them and have similar handling and performance. I think I'd like the STS more if it were rear drive but hey, it's does well in all the elements so I can't complain.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.