Could it be the starter? 95 SLS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Could it be the starter? 95 SLS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 95 SLS and I think I might have a starter problem. My battery is brand new as ...
    PhilBooe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Could it be the starter? 95 SLS

I have a 95 SLS and I think I might have a starter problem. My battery is brand new as of a month ago. I drove around this evening, no problem. The car sat in the driveway for a couple hours and just a little while ago I drove about 1 mile to my church. After being inside for about 15 minutes I returned to the car and it would not crank. The lights, radio, wipers, all work fine but when I turn the key to start the engine all I hear is a CLICK! (and yes it was in park, foot on brake, etc.)

Any thoughts?

Starter easy to change?

Thanks,

Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Could it be the starter? 95 SLS

Check the battery cables for corrrosion and tight connections. If that is ok, have the battery checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Check the battery cables for corrrosion and tight connections. If that is ok, have the battery checked.

Even though the lights and radio work fine and the batt is new? Could a loose connection cause it not to crank but other things work? (b/c I did check it, it was a little loose, but i tightened it.)

Thanks for your help.

Phil

The battery can be fine to run low load items like lights and radio but, put a heavy load on it like a starter and it falls flat on it's face. Don't assume just because it is "new". I have had them fail in 6 months. I have even had them bad right off the self. You have all the symptoms of a dead cell. Have it load tested or swap (not jump start) it with a known good battery to check it.

In accordance with your advice I went back and checked the battery. Turns out the connector was loose to the positive terminal. (side posts, ugggg),, I tightened it and it started right up.

Thanks for all your help. I am going to relocate the connections to the top posts on Monday - I really dislike those side connectors!

Phil

That was easy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.