Bad Tranny Mounts - How can you tell??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Bad Tranny Mounts - How can you tell?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've noticed lately that when I shift from Park to Drive or from Drive to Reverse that I get something ...
    NoFear365@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Bad Tranny Mounts - How can you tell??

I've noticed lately that when I shift from Park to Drive or from Drive to Reverse that I get something of a jerking feeling. The car kind of lunges a bit. Think it's my tranny mounts? How can I tell other than getting under the car and looking?

I remember when I first got the car you couldn't feel any of this...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Odin8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 STS (retired), 05 STS4, black on black

Re: Bad Tranny Mounts - How can you tell??

I get the same damn thing in my car, and it bugs the shit out of me. My mechanic told me the tranny mounts are fine, so I'm kind of at a loss to what it is, I've just been hoping it's not my tranny. =\

Also, before I had my engine replaced, I didn't have that at all. After my engine was swapped out, it started. Curious...

6thCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

I would check your front and rear motor mounts. They could both be broke, very common, and be causing this. Open the hood, start the car, put it in drive, with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the acclerator pedal, step into it a little and if the motor jumps up, the mount is broke. Same procedure for rear, except in reverse.

NoFear365@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've done that and my engine moves around quite a bit. When I went to the dealership, they said that it's quite normal... I can't see how.

99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It's just engaging the gears. If you think these cars are bad, you should ride in my girlfriends box on wheels (jeep cherokee)

6thCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Your engine should not move around a lot, a little tiny bit yes, but not a lot. On my '00 STS, the front mount was broke and the engine would jump up in the fron and now that is is replaced, virtually no movement. It also shifts into "D" smoothly now too. Motor mounts are very important. On my wife's 300M, both mounts were broke and now that they are replaced, it feels like a completely different car. Even if you are not a hard driver, they will break.

Odin8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 STS (retired), 05 STS4, black on black

So earlier today I did what 6thCAD suggested for a test on my motor mounts. I have about a 2-3 inch torque in both directions...it actually kind of scared the piss out of me when I had my dad first do it. Guessing they're shot then, huh?

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Check your torque struts.. otherwise known as dog bones. My 94 Eldorado had one where a chunk of the rubber was gone and the others looked ok but when you took them out the rubber was completely dried out and useless. There's one on the left and right of your engine and they're pretty easy to replace. I was having that jerk when engaging gears, even when driving and replaced them this weekend.. it's now just about completely gone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.