Is it worth repairing a bad head gasket on a 79 Eldo? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Is it worth repairing a bad head gasket on a 79 Eldo? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; To do head gaskets yourself, you are looking at arounf $200 in parts and 8 hours. To be safe, a ...
    Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: Is it worth repairing a bad head gasket on a 79 Eldo?

To do head gaskets yourself, you are looking at arounf $200 in parts and 8 hours. To be safe, a weekend project. Just make sure this isn't something stupid like a valve cover gasket. That would be $15.

Beefmalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like it may just be a valve cover gasket to me. Especially if the car is running perfect otherwise and you don't have oil in the water or vice versa. If you do end up doing the head gaskets make sure you send the heads out to be magnafluxed for cracks.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Could just be a valve cover gasket... just oil, getting in the plugs... Without seeing it myself, hey, I'm just speculating, but I'd say it's possibly just a valve cover gasket.

I had the same car, same engine... when the head casket let go, I was swapping good quantities of fluids both ways, oil in the water, water in the oil.... there was very little doubt what was wrong.....

Did I say head "casket"??? That's what owning a Northstar does to you, you live in mortal fear of blowing a headgasket.....

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Do the valve cover gaskets over. Make sure each tin cover is perfectly straight. Use weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gasket to the underside of the cover and Orange RTV silicone to glue the cover/gasket to the head. Give it a full 24 hours to cure before running the engine. The bolts might need a little snugging after a day also.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I would wash the engine to ensure you are only seeing fresh leaks. If you are still sure it's the head gaskets you should be able to do them yourself, or with a little help pulling and installing the heavy parts.

Get organized. I recommend plastic dishpans...$1 each at the dollar store. Use 3 or 4 to seperate the bolts etc to make it easy to reassemble. One for intake, one for front of engine, one for left and one for right sides. This saves a lot of time, especially if you have a valve job done and there is a time gap before reassembling.

I checked my old Chiltons manual. It looks straight forward.

sesshoumaru562 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did a compression and leakdown test yet?

GM-MAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I already did the valve cover gaskets and I'm sure they're on quite snug. I also used gasket maker to hols the gaskets in place but it still leaks from the same spot.

I've not done a compression test yet or leak down but there is a definite oil smell from the smoke.

Levels are still fine and the oil is a nice light brown in the engine.

Still, it never dawned on me that the valve covers could still be leaking despite just changing the gaskets.

Tomorrow I'll get a professional diagnosis and let you all know what the verdict is.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

BTW, I sent the buyers for the car away. I can't bring myself to part with it yet despite being offered more than my asking price. Here's a recent pic of the patient:

what was your asking price?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefmalone
    what was your asking price?
    $1000 as is.

sounds way cheap based on that pic

Quote Originally Posted by Beefmalone
    sounds way cheap based on that pic
    Well, the body, frame and interior are as close to mint as possible on a car that old with normal TLC.

Nothings perfect but the leather has no splits, frame is super solid and the body has a couple of minor rust spots, none at doors, wheel wells or next to windows.

I just thought based on needing a new head gasket, it's value would depreciate exponentially considering the cost. Not the same as needing a new alt, exhaust or rad for example.

Still, you could be right since more than one offered me more than my asking price to not sell it to anyone else. I was surprised.

That pic I took about 4 months ago when I parked it for the winter. Notice how the rear sinks a little due to needing new air suspension lines as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.