RKE Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, RKE Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well the other day, my Key Fob quit functioning, so I took it to the dealer and had it tested. ...
    99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

RKE Problems

Well the other day, my Key Fob quit functioning, so I took it to the dealer and had it tested. While testing, they broke they case and determined it was bad. Thought they might have just used that as an excuse since they broke the plastic. Either way, I ordered a new one and went to have it programmed today.

They told me that when they would program it, it wouldnt continue to recognize the key fob. They stated that it must be a bad RKE Module. Now I'm no strangers to cars at all. I don't see the possibility of the keypad AND the rke module going out at the same time. I am thinking they just arent programming it right. Any opinions? Will that module throw a code? I'm trying to find the procedure for pulling codes on a 99 STS right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: RKE Problems

I would think it would. Maybe the module went and the fob was good all along. If you have not found the proceedure for pulling code yet, search for "codes" and look for a post by JimD. I should store that damn thing.

I managed to get the codes pulled thanks to Dadillac.

Is it common at all for these modules to go bad? I only have 80k on the car. The dealer also said it would be about 5-600. I figured IF it comes to that, I could find it much cheaper on gmpartsdirect. Anyone else had to replace it?

Beefmalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It wouldn't hurt to try to program it yourself and see if it works. I don't know about Caddys, but every other GM vehicle has a quick way to easily program fobs

Quote Originally Posted by Beefmalone
    It wouldn't hurt to try to program it yourself and see if it works. I don't know about Caddys, but every other GM vehicle has a quick way to easily program fobs
    I took it to another dealer who said the same thing. The tech2 scan tool is saying it programmed successfully, but the car isnt recognizing it. I'm dreading the outcome of the diagnostic Tuesday.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

There was a thread on here about how to program it yourself, not too long ago... I'm not at home, so I don't have it, but I saved it to my computer.... but there is a way, I'm pretty sure.

Now, this is nothing but speculation, but I did run into this problem with my Corvette, and what it ended up was, the new FOB they gave me was not the right one. The outside looked the same, but whatever is inside was different.

That car was a 2000, and for that particular car, 2000 was 1 kind of FOB, 1999 was a different one, and 2001 was different again.

These kind of problems will drive you insane, so take a deep breath.... then make sure you have the right FOB, make sure the new FOB is actually transmitting..... you have to step-by-step these things, with a lot of patience.

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by 99esteees
    I took it to another dealer who said the same thing. The tech2 scan tool is saying it programmed successfully, but the car isnt recognizing it. I'm dreading the outcome of the diagnostic Tuesday.

On one hand the RKE is quite simple, yet on the other hand it is a little more complex but here it is in a nutshell.

The RKE is short for Remote Keyless Entery.
    How does it work?...Simple!
    There is a fixed frequency range that the receiver module can recognize, period.
    The receiver module (RKE) will in turn communicate with the UTDM universal theft deterrant module, then with the PASSkey module. This is where there is a lot of confusion and complexity.

The fob communicates through all of these modules while the ignition key comminicates through the PASSkey module only.

In your particular case there may be nothing wrong with PASSkey at all. The problem may be within the other two modules or in a data cable linking them together.

A dealership with the Tech2 tool can troubleshoot any one or all of the modules. Why they would try to reprogram the PASSkey and drop the ball is beyond me.

If none of the original ignition keys will start the car, then the dealership can use the Tech2 tool to find the problem. This is not rocket science.

If only the fob is not recognized, it makes the diagnostic a little easier.

Bottom line, you have been jerked around long enough. It is time for the dealership to fix the problem and buy you lunch as well.

Just my 2¢

Thanks for the info TexasSeville. I just got back from their joke of a diagnostic. They claim that there was an internal RKE Module failure, and it needs to be replaced. They also claim that there could be more to it. I'm doubting they really honestly know where the exact problem lies, but I told them I would order a RKE Module cheaper online, and install it myself. Do I need an exact part number for gmpartsdirect, or can I do a search for what I'm needing? Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.