Cadillac Owners Forum banner

questions questions questions

730 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CadillacSTS42005 
#1 ·
alright i just bought this car last friday, and it has been fine untill about 2 days ago, now it has a wicked rough idle, and every time the RPM's are low, it shakes and the engine is loud, what could this possible be, and what do i have to do to fix it?

#6 ·
iametarq said:
how many miles are on it? do you have any codes? bad plugs & wires maybe. there are a bunch of posts lately about people with rough idle problems.
there is 60,000 miles on the car, and i think the plugs and wires should be good, i just bought it from a dealership, and i checked the codes and some popped up but i dont know what they mean, what is a code n e ways?

#7 ·
The Codes translate to "error messages". If the car experiences something it considers "wrong" or an "error" the computer will spit out a code. The codes are from an ODBII interface, i cannot remember what ODB stands for but you can google that in your free time.

If you have a spark plug that is misfiring, you'll get a code for it. not all codes trigger the Sevice Engine Soon light. I get a B1341, every so often that does not trigger the SES light. It translates to, "hey, one of your HVAC vent doors isn't opening and closing correctly, look into that."

the codes make diagnosing problems on these cars much easier. you are driving a smart car that is aware of itself. there are also sites on the web that will translate the codes for you, if you don't have a set of factory service manuals, which anyone here will recommend to you to get on ebay or some other place like it.

have fun. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.