Picked up a 98 STS...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Picked up a 98 STS... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, I decided to let go of the 94 STS in lieu of a 98 STS...I've always enjoyed the 98+ ...
    Pete03Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Picked up a 98 STS...

So, I decided to let go of the 94 STS in lieu of a 98 STS...I've always enjoyed the 98+ styling of the STS and this one is beautiful in Crimson Pearl accompanying the Z06. The interior and exterior are excellent with 85,000 miles on it, and I believe all the miles were highway with the condition of the car. Now I'm in the process of perfecting the car and working out the little bugs abound and I figured I would come to the experts for some help. Here are a few of the annoying issues i'm looking to fix:

-Heated seat no longer heats...the last time it was operational it got abnormally hot and then ceased to work afterwards. The button lights, and a click sound is heard when turning it on...and then a subsequent click every minute or so afterwards. The other seats all work. Is this a burnt out seating pad and is the pad stitched into the STS leather? I hope not if that is the case!

-My ashtray door in the middle of the console will not stay closed. I'll push it down and it just clicks its way right back into open position. I figured I would disassemble that part of the console and see what was going on but wanted to ask here first if anyone else knew a fix.

-Right above the driver's seat where the window frame meets the roof there is a leak. It is actually right where the A-pillar meets the headliner on the interior, and water seeps through a bit when it rains heavily. I figure I'll take some pieces off and try to fix it but was just wondering if these STSs had any weatherstrip problems.

There are other problems but most are cosmetic including the LED center high mounted brake light being out...I hope to take care of all of them in time for spring If anyone has any solutions to these relatively small problems, let me know...and thanks in advance! (P.S. Hi Sal from over on Corvetteforum...I'm Pete99SS over there

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: Picked up a 98 STS...

On my 2000 STS, I had a front water leak, and it was the windshield. The dealer resealed that and no problems after that.

Good luck!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

On my 2001, the previous owner service history shows the Windshield was resealed also. The ashtray on my 2001 wouldnt either open or close when I first got it, cant remember for sure. But I do remember I had to twist the door piece leftward with some force and then it opened and closed normally.

Look for Logan "LoganDiagnostic" on this forum for a replacement of your LED light structure. He offers very good prices on these parts, and fixing them has proven not to be a long lasting solution for many people.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

You would think Cadillac would have tried to make sure the LED problems were solved with the newer 98+ Sevilles. Not so...

The newer lamps are even worse. All the 98+ lamps are made in Mexico. The early '98-mid 2000 used the wrong sealer....and leak water. 100% failure mode. So even used ones from salvage yards are junk.

What you really want is a mid 2000 or newer lamp. These used a improved sealer that doesnt leak (in most cases) and is a much better lamp assembly.

We often have the newer mid 2000+ style/sealer lamps available. Should have some more in latter this week.

Logan

Hey Logan,

I have checked out your services and they seem great. I would be very interested actually in a 2002+ lamp with the newer Cadillac emblem on it if you get any of those in...I enjoy the new emblem and plan on replacing the front grille with a 2002+ grille as well. I could send you my current lamp to add to your collection if you'd like. Let me know, and thanks! :coolgleam

I think I'm going to give the engine a minor tune up soon, as the gas mileage is suffering...it runs extremely smooth but I feel a fluid/filters/plugs/wires change would be good for her. thanks for the help so far guys, any other info is much appreciated.

bharner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Pete03Z06
    So, I decided to let go of the 94 STS in lieu of a 98 STS...I've always enjoyed the 98+ styling of the STS and this one is beautiful in Crimson Pearl accompanying the Z06. The interior and exterior are excellent with 85,000 miles on it, and I believe all the miles were highway with the condition of the car. Now I'm in the process of perfecting the car and working out the little bugs abound and I figured I would come to the experts for some help. Here are a few of the annoying issues i'm looking to fix:

-Heated seat no longer heats...the last time it was operational it got abnormally hot and then ceased to work afterwards. The button lights, and a click sound is heard when turning it on...and then a subsequent click every minute or so afterwards. The other seats all work. Is this a burnt out seating pad and is the pad stitched into the STS leather? I hope not if that is the case!

-My ashtray door in the middle of the console will not stay closed. I'll push it down and it just clicks its way right back into open position. I figured I would disassemble that part of the console and see what was going on but wanted to ask here first if anyone else knew a fix.

-Right above the driver's seat where the window frame meets the roof there is a leak. It is actually right where the A-pillar meets the headliner on the interior, and water seeps through a bit when it rains heavily. I figure I'll take some pieces off and try to fix it but was just wondering if these STSs had any weatherstrip problems.

There are other problems but most are cosmetic including the LED center high mounted brake light being out...I hope to take care of all of them in time for spring If anyone has any solutions to these relatively small problems, let me know...and thanks in advance! (P.S. Hi Sal from over on Corvetteforum...I'm Pete99SS over there
    I have a 98 STS also and I had the exact thing happen with my heated seats. Had to get a new heater element. I had the exact same sytoms. It was covered under extended warranty. Hope this helps.

"If you aint part the problem, then you part the solution"

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

I will check to see if we have one with the newer emblem. I know the emblem that your talking about.

The '98s and newer are a bit different then the '92-97s.....there is not a core charge on the '98s+ and you do not need to send the old lamp back.

Logan

Playdrv4me, turns out you were exactly right on the ash tray. What an easy fix...just pulled it over to the right and down and there it stayed for the first time in 3 months! One problem down...

Logan, let me know if you find any LED light bars with the new emblem...I'll be ready to buy very soon

JohnnyLfromCT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nice car...I've got the exact same model

Luckily, my 3rd brake light is still fully lit & working like a charm.

*knocks on wood*

kingsize is offline Cadillac Owners Member

>>-Right above the driver's seat where the window frame meets the roof there is a leak. It is actually right where the A-pillar meets the headliner on the interior, and water seeps through a bit when it rains heavily. I figure I'll take some pieces off and try to fix it but was just wondering if these STSs had any weatherstrip problems.>>

Pete,

I had the same problem on my 98 STS. It drove me to the point of insanity. Driving around with one hand and a catch cup in the other really sucked. As it turns out, the plastic drain tube for the sunroof had completely pulled away from the rubber nipple on the sunroof framing under the headliner. I tried to use a zip tie at first to secure it, but it came apart again after a while. This upset me further. Anyway, took everything apart again and this time I went with a hose clamp. It was pretty tricky to get to to tighten it up, but it worked out with an extension and I haven't had a problem yet so far. The A-pillar trim, sunvisor, grab handle and headliner in that area will have to be removed or loosened to access the drain connection. Hope this helps.

Kingsize

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.