Potential STS buyer with questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Potential STS buyer with questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all. I'm looking at a 1999 STS, 110K miles, 2 owner, and the second owner has all maintenance records ...
    CoreZman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Potential STS buyer with questions

Hello all. I'm looking at a 1999 STS, 110K miles, 2 owner, and the second owner has all maintenance records since 16K miles. One of the things the seller notes is that the car consumes about a quart of oil every 3K miles or so and has since he bought it at 16K miles. Is this normal? The driver's side seat heater does not work? Is this fixable? How expensive is it to replace the windshield? It has a bb sized mark in the lower left corner that has been there for two years and hasn't grown.

I have yet to personally inspect the car and hope to do so in the next day or two. What should I look for that will tell me to stay away? I know about the trunk gasket issue from reading here, and that if the coolant system hasn't been maintained then the engine could be in trouble. Any other biggies or suggestions? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FredMaxwell is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Potential STS buyer with questions

I've heard from alot of people that it is normal for the Northy to use some oil,
    I've seen the seat heaters on ebay for $300 per brand new set,
    The bb sized chip - don't worry about it.
    You can have it filled if that would make you feel better.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

The N* uses oil. It is not only normal, it is epidemic. All N* use oil. Most use a quart every 2,000 miles or so. Oil is cheap, do not worry about it. I just replaced my windshield about a month ago. Cost was $364.00. But I had a three foot crack across the bottom. A small chip, not in the line of sight, I wouldn't change it. Run diagnostics on the car when you inspect it. It is fast and easy. Test drive the car first. Get the car warmed up, and drive at different speeds. If at all possible, drive between the speeds of 60 and 75. Some Seville's have an annoying vibration between these speeds. Anyway, back to the codes. After driving the car, shut it off (or leave it running), with the key in the "on" position, hold down the on/off switch, and the up button, that is to the right of the steering wheel. The dash will go black, and then at the bottom, a message pops up. Hit the on/off button twice, and write down the codes that come up (hopefully there aren'y any). Check back with the codes here, and there are plenty of folks to help out. Hope everything works out for you, these cars rock.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    The N* uses oil. It is not only normal, it is epidemic. All N* use oil. Most use a quart every 2,000 miles or so. Oil is cheap, do not worry about it. I just replaced my windshield about a month ago. Cost was $364.00. But I had a three foot crack across the bottom. A small chip, not in the line of sight, I wouldn't change it. Run diagnostics on the car when you inspect it. It is fast and easy. Test drive the car first. Get the car warmed up, and drive at different speeds. If at all possible, drive between the speeds of 60 and 75. Some Seville's have an annoying vibration between these speeds. Anyway, back to the codes. After driving the car, shut it off (or leave it running), with the key in the "on" position, hold down the on/off switch, and the up button, that is to the right of the steering wheel. The dash will go black, and then at the bottom, a message pops up. Hit the on/off button twice, and write down the codes that come up (hopefully there aren'y any). Check back with the codes here, and there are plenty of folks to help out. Hope everything works out for you, these cars rock.

Don
    good stuff. thank you very much.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The BB hole in the windshield came be fixed to almost indetectable. Most insurance companies will pay for it to avoid replacing the windshield. If it is not right in your field of vision, it is a good fix. It will appear as no more than a water spot.

This should aleviate your concerns about oil usage.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

Thanks Ranger. I did finally find my way to the tech section to read that article. The more I read the more I'm getting excited about this car.

edit: three more questions for now. The battery in the car is original, so I anticipate replacing it (if I buy the car). Does the STS require any special battery, about how much should I expect to spend, and how hard is it to replace (I haven't seen the car yet)?

I think it may require a "special" battery as it is located under the back seat so it has vent tubes to vent the gasses to the outside. I haven't had to replace one yet so I am unsure of prices. My guess would be worst case about $125 from a dealer. It does not look hard to do.

Ok I took the car for a drive today and it went well. The car started right up, idled silently, accelerated smoothly, and when I went WOT there was no hesitation, no strange noise (just the beautiful roar of the engine), and no smoke. The only thing I thought was a bit strange was that I expected the steering to be less stiff. I currently drive a 1972 Datsun 240Z that doesn't even have power steering and this car seemed stiff to steer. It got very stiff in the parking lot as I turned into the parking space. The seller says it's always been this way. Does that sound right?

gcl2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

Just purchased my Battery for my 99 sts from Dealer..$102.00..
    Easy change out as well.

George

rbrandon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Quote Originally Posted by CoreZman
    Ok I took the car for a drive today and it went well. The car started right up, idled silently, accelerated smoothly, and when I went WOT there was no hesitation, no strange noise (just the beautiful roar of the engine), and no smoke. The only thing I thought was a bit strange was that I expected the steering to be less stiff. I currently drive a 1972 Datsun 240Z that doesn't even have power steering and this car seemed stiff to steer. It got very stiff in the parking lot as I turned into the parking space. The seller says it's always been this way. Does that sound right?
    the steering should stiffen up at speed, but not while parking or anything. check the PS pump.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrandon
    the steering should stiffen up at speed, but not while parking or anything. check the PS pump.
    Will do.

Another question:

The seller says that at around 60K miles (~50K miles ago) he flushed and filled the coolant system with 50/50 dex/distilled, but did not use any tablets. Should this cause concern? Should I retreat the system if I buy the car?

I<3me is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good post Dadillac! Care to post in my thread about 98 Seville? would appreciate your 15 cents and love to hear what you have to say Daddy-O?

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    The N* uses oil. It is not only normal, it is epidemic. All N* use oil. Most use a quart every 2,000 miles or so. Don
    That's not necessarily true, across the board. I think the 2000+ Northstar oil usage is somewhat diminished from the 90s models.

My 01 Eldo hardly used a drop between 56K when I bought it and 65K when I just changed it. I put my used oil in the containers, and my drain tub filled 6 quarts bottles and a bit of a 7th. I don't remember EVER adding any, and I checked it every week. The level never when out of the hash marks on the dipstick.

It's also a documented fact that the WOT treatment will cut down on oil consumption, if it becomes a worrisome problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreZman
    Will do.

Another question:

The seller says that at around 60K miles (~50K miles ago) he flushed and filled the coolant system with 50/50 dex/distilled, but did not use any tablets. Should this cause concern? Should I retreat the system if I buy the car?
    It is of no concern. The tabs are simply to prevent niusance leaks. Add them when you get a chance or at the next coolant change.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

JimHare, I cannot speak for all N*, but my '02 goes through it's share of oil. I haven't met a N* I didn't like. I also haven't met a N* that didn't use oil.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.