Cadillac Woes! Can't Figure it out!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Cadillac Woes! Can't Figure it out! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Everyone! I'm new the forum, and love it. Almost all the problems I have ever had with my car ...
    cadillac85 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cadillac Woes! Can't Figure it out!

Hey Everyone!

I'm new the forum, and love it. Almost all the problems I have ever had with my car has been already covered here. Most recently I had a problem with the car surging at stops and got that fixed on advice by doing as Ranger did, and changing the spark plug wires.

Well a few nights ago an entirely different problem hit my baby (1998 Cadillac STS). The car was driving incredible as usual and I was on the acceleration ramp getting onto the highway, I gave the car a little more gas to speed up and get in before the traffic and the car just shut off. I was able to get it to the shoulder with the speed it was going at. At the shoulder I tried to start it up again, and it started fine. It idled perfect, so I put it in to gear and thought it would be fine, I was wrong as soon as I gave it gas the rmps started to go crazy up and down, the car started going then stopped almost like it was stutering, as if something was letting it accelerate then taking all power away, then trying again. I shut it off and tried it again, but left it in park this time, and the exact same thing happened when I gave it gas. If I put my foot all the way down on the gas, it will just rev the rpm's all the way up then drop like a rock, go all the way up then drop like a rock, all the while the car is shaking like crazy.

If any of you have ever experienced anything like this before, or have any ideas on what it could be please help!!!

Even my mechanic doesnt seem to know what exactly is wrong with the car.

Thanks in Advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cadillac Woes! Can't Figure it out!

Start with the basics and pull the codes.

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

if the codes don't tell you anything, check your fuel pressure

FredMaxwell is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My ex wifes car did something similar and believe it or not it was the charging system

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

If no codes... I would check in order: O2 Sensor, MAF, connections at ignition module (coil cluster), coils themselves, TPS, FPR.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Stalling out at highway speeds could be a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. Check to see if fuel pressure is dropping below 30PSI. Replace if needed as well as the fuel filter.

Thanks everyone for your help, I gave it to my mechanic and even he seems to be dumbfounded by this, he originally thought it was something to do with the fuel line, but now says it is not the fuel line or filter, he now believes it is the ignition module. I had the Fuel Pressure Regulator changed a few months ago, because of another problem with the car surging.

I checked the codes and the only one that comes up as current is RSS C1762 (Left Rear Position Sensor - Input False), but I doubt that has anything to do with my problem. Do you guys think it's possible for it to be the ignition module itself? I'll have to tell my mechanic to check the charging system. But thanks again for everything. I really dont want him to change the ignition module and have it be something else especially with the price of these parts. Any other suggestions?

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I vote for the Ignition module. I had an old cadillac that would shut off randomly, and i think the part we had replaced was the ignition module. but i'm no expert.

On a 1997 SLS the O2 sensor reduced its idle to a shaky mess that stalled if you let off the gas. There was some kind of crap in the connector for it and it was shorting with some sort of corrosion.

I just talked to my mechanic there is a little bit of a hold up getting a hold of an ignition module, but hopefully we are able to resolve the problem, its a good think i've built a good relationship with the mechanic. So I will only have to pay for the part, he said it only take like 15 minutes to connect. Makes me wonder why GM wanted to charge me over $1000 dollars for this job.

Anyway I will post tommorow to say if it solved the problem. Thanks again.

Yeah changing that is a walk in the park. It took less than 10 minutes to get it off my car when I changed the HVAC fan.

Well my mechanic got the part (ignition module) installed today, I'm happy to say everything is working great again. Thanks everyone for your help. And hope if anyone else experiences the same problem, they have an idea of what to do now. I'm just really thrilled now that my caddy is back, and life is back to normal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.