Transmission QUESTION...whos got their smart pants on?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission QUESTION...whos got their smart pants on? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 97 STS downshifts way 2 smooth on WOT for my liking, as compared to our 95. Which feels like ...
    WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Transmission QUESTION...whos got their smart pants on?

My 97 STS downshifts way 2 smooth on WOT for my liking, as compared to our 95. Which feels like its gonna tear that tranny appart when it kicks down. Anything i can do to help that? Shifts pretty good if u leave it in 1st all the way through the gears. But it would b nice to have a good downshift from D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

Re: Transmission QUESTION...whos got their smart pants on?

You mean smooth as butter? If the 95 does that, mine occasionaly does..why do you not like that? They built it that way cause mostly old farts buy the cars and like the butter ball feeling when they sit their fat ass in there and drive.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Take a look at this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nyone-try.html

And read the whole thread (at least the whole first page.) The line pressure mod should affect downshifting as well.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

should...

though not tested, common sense says it will...

but at the expense of the rest of the driveline. we don't know the long term effects yet. i plan on testing it with stickies, no traction control, and a 100hp shot at the track this summer.

Clutch material... rest of driveline... I'd be happier replacing a CV shaft or something than rebuilding the transmission.

I somehow don't think you'll test the downshift part of it at the track.

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Clutch material... rest of driveline... I'd be happier replacing a CV shaft or something than rebuilding the transmission.

I somehow don't think you'll test the downshift part of it at the track.
    im pretty sure he meant how the tranny and rest of the driveline will hold up.

when i was using that tranny mod it changed shifts both ways. only reason i took it off was my tranny seemed to make weird noises with it. it might have been normal. im paraniod about breaking something. plus i hear anything and everything wrong.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

well i can test it on the return road...lol

it's gonnabe interesting to see how it reacts with the mod done. mine gives me a pretty firm downshift right now but the upshifts are mighty lame.

my next engineering feat is gonna be something with this exhaust. i can get flanges, but it's telling me i gotta drop the cradle a hair to gain full access to the rear manifold and the front one ain't lookin like a walk in the park either. not to mention the ground clearance issue. what i might end up dong for the front design is a skinny rectangular crossover pipe that will run under the car. that should minimize the ground clearance hit. the effective dimensions would be similar to running a 2.5" or 3" round pipe so the hit on the flow would be minimal. my big goal is to get a set of tubular headers on it by end of summer.

Even with stock manifolds a decent crossover pipe should show some gains. If my engine ever comes out the stockers are probably getting extrude honed.

WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Take a look at this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nyone-try.html

And read the whole thread (at least the whole first page.) The line pressure mod should affect downshifting as well.
    Thanx! I was actually wondering about that mod. I'll give that a try and see what happens...its so cold here still it might have to wait a couple of weeks before I do anything.....biirrrr...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.