Transmission?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So Im about to recieve a 94 sts, the owner says it needs a new transmission. Im going to go ...
    94sevillests is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS

Transmission?

So Im about to recieve a 94 sts, the owner says it needs a new transmission. Im going to go look at it today..Im not really sure what he means by it needs a new transmission.Could it mean anything else besides the transmission? Or if i do get a new transmission for it is it possible I can do this in my driveway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mrnextel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: Transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by 94sevillests
    So Im about to recieve a 94 sts, the owner says it needs a new transmission. Im going to go look at it today..Im not really sure what he means by it needs a new transmission.Could it mean anything else besides the transmission? Or if i do get a new transmission for it is it possible I can do this in my driveway?
    ITS A HUGE JOB!

TO HAVE IT DONE BY A DEPENDABLE TRANSMISSION SHOP YOU ARE LOOKING AT AN APPROX $2500-$3000 REPAIR. IT IS VERY LABOR INTENSIVE, IF YOU DONT KNOW THE CADDYS I WOULDNT EVEN ATTEMPT IT.

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

Re: Transmission?

First enter the DIC to see if it's just a solenoid problem. It may be just that and the owner doesn't know it(that's how I got mine). If any codes show up, post them here and we'll help you with them. Hopefully it's just that but if not the transmission R&R can be DIY if you are mechnically inclined.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I just spent 2,900 on a complete overhaul on my 95 STS tranny. This included a new torque converter and a broken motor mount. You might be able to find a used replacement cheaper and put it in. If you do that, make sure you get the DEALER manual(I got one on EBAY) for your car. There are all kinds of unusual warnings in the transmission removal process. The place that did my transmission had to "invent" some tools just to get it out. Unless your mechanicaly astute, I wouldn't touch it.

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

I had ZERO experience with front drive transmissions and I changed mine. It is not easy by any means, but it's do able. It took me about 10 hours to fix it. I got a 60K mile tranny with every upgrade done on it for $400 at a junkyard. There are no special tools or techniqes required to replace it.

JustDoug is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS

The great thing about Forums like these- all sorts of people are in the mix!

I think it is great to advise folks with limited mechanical experience of the degree of difficulty in removing the "cradle" from these cars. But I think that it might be better to "qualify" that statement first...

While it is true that this is a pretty tough job, I think that the average shade-tree mechanic can handle it. It is not the kinda thing a 1st timer is gonna knock-off over a weekend... in other words, don't count on being able to drive your Cadi to work on Monday! You might get it done, but...

As for tools required, the biggest challenge I faced was adequate blocking and jackstands to safely raise the car high enough to get clearance to allow me to slide the "guts" out into the open. I should post pics of the 4x4 posts I used as rails to slide the craddle on...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.