92 Seville - tranny fluid/filter change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92 Seville - tranny fluid/filter change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Time to replace the tranny fluid and filter on my 92 Seville. I've searched this forum and see a lot ...
    sumdumgai is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

92 Seville - tranny fluid/filter change

Time to replace the tranny fluid and filter on my 92 Seville. I've searched this forum and see a lot of information about changing the fluid but can't always tell what year and model is being discussed. If anyone can tell me, in some detail, (or point me to a post that does it) what steps I need to take to change the fluid and filter in my 92 Seville I'd appreciate it. I don't think I need to purge all fluid through the radiator oil cooling port, but I would like to change as much of the fluid as possible. 108K miles. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 92 Seville - tranny fluid/filter change

Pick up a new filter and gasket. Not sure if the gasket on the 4T60E is reusable even though I have done it before (the memory is the second thing to go you know), maybe someone else does. Drop the pan (be prepared, it's gonna be messy, have a lot of newspapers handy and spread around the pan your gonna drain into). Once it is down, wipe the film out of it and be sure to wipe the "muck" off of the magnet in the pan (don't panic, it's normal). Pull the filter down and be sure the "O" ring comes with it. Simply put the new one in place, put the pan back on and be sure to torque to the correct spec's (no I don't know what it is for that trans. Someone else will have to chime in on that one). Refill the trans, warm it up and check the level. Pretty hard to screw it up.

cctgene is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Per The 92 factory service manual, the transaxle oil pan bolts are torqued to 13 lb. ft. , the oil pan gasket is reusable if ribs are not broken, use 18mm socket to tap in oil filter seal, also, says to check something called a scavenging scoop, which is located above the filter, for cracks. The scavenging scoop has a bolt which is torque to 71 lb. in.

Thanks for the info. I've read something about a side bolt that holds back another few quarts of fluid. Is that true on the 92 Seville? Thanks again.

cctgene is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I checked the specfic section that covers changing fluid and filter, but there's no mention of removing a side bolt.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The side bolt reference is for the transmission used with the Northstar engine, which is a 4T80E. The 4T60E doesn't have the plug.

Thanks guys for all your help. If I could ask one more question about this please. The car's got 108K miles. When it's very cold out and it's been sitting, when I first start it and put it into gear, on a rare occasion, it takes a few seconds for the tranny to engage. Once engagedm everything seems fine. Other than that, I have no complaints about it shifting smoothly or when it's supposed to. The ATF's kind of brownish and I have no idea when or if it has ever been changed. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most likely, what are the chances of replacing the ATF causing me big problems such as I have been reading elsewhere on this forum? Thanks again.

I don't know about chances of problem but I'd guess slim. If it's "brownish" it's due for a change (probably overdue). In your case (brownish fluid) I might even opt for the purge method.

Thanks again. But another question, if I may, and I hope it's not a stupid one. I can understand how dropping the tranny pan, which is filled with ATF, can be messy, especially working under a jacked car with one hand holding up the pan and the other removing bolts. Is it possible to syphon the ATF out of the filler tube to remove most of the ATF? Or can you drop the pan just enough to get a rubber tube inside it and then syphon the fluid? Either of these methids would make it a lot less messy to drop the pan I would think. Thanks.

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumgai
    Thanks again. But another question, if I may, and I hope it's not a stupid one. I can understand how dropping the tranny pan, which is filled with ATF, can be messy, especially working under a jacked car with one hand holding up the pan and the other removing bolts. Is it possible to syphon the ATF out of the filler tube to remove most of the ATF? Or can you drop the pan just enough to get a rubber tube inside it and then syphon the fluid? Either of these methids would make it a lot less messy to drop the pan I would think. Thanks.
    Dropping the transmission oil pan is just plain awkward but not difficult. The biggest mess will come into play when you begin to loosen the pan bolts. It may or may not begin to leak fluid at that point. You will slightly loosen all the bolts then work your way to one end by removing them allowing the pan to drop at an angle. Yes, it is messy to say the least because there is no drain plug. The pan is a merely a cover which would be like turning a pot of soup upside down then removing the lid.

If I am changing fluid but not the filter, I will disconnect the transmission lines from the cooler. Plug the return and place the supply (pressure) end into a container while adding fluid, allowing the transmission pump to do the work. You will need at least a case of transmission fluid, sometimes more, (18qts if I remember) to exchange all of the fluid.

DO NOT USE THE TRANSMISSION PUMP TO EVACUATE THE TRANSAXLE.

But is it possible to stick a long thin rubber tube down the ATF fill tube and syphon out most of the ATF?

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Yeah, I did. I put a clean, long plastic tube all the way from the dip-stick tube. Since the ATF needed to be cool (so that all ATF stays in the pan), the ATF was a bit thick and since the inner diameter of the tubing was not that large, it took maybe 30 min or more to drain as much as possible. But when I took the pan off, very little mess. I put a little jack stand to lower the pan straight. There was only a little bit of ATF at the bottom of the pan. Unless you tilt as you drop the pan, I think ATF won't drip. Well, when I pulled the filter, there was some amount of ATF trapped in the tube connected to the filter and it drained over me. So, you have to be careful when you remove the filter (I was not...).

Then, I put new ATF, removed the hose at the cooler, started the car, drained old ATF trapped in the converter. It drained when it was in P that I was not sure. I left the engine on for only 10-15 sec, that was enough.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumgai
    But is it possible to stick a long thin rubber tube down the ATF fill tube and syphon out most of the ATF?
    Yes, as 100 said, I think it is possible on the '92 (4T60E) not on the 4T80E (Norhthstar trans).

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Yes, as 100 said, I think it is possible on the '92 (4T60E) not on the 4T80E (Norhthstar trans).
    Just to make sure... Do you mean since a 4T80E keeps some ATF in its reservoir (not in a pan at the bottom, I mean), all ATF cannot be removed by putting a tube? I thought even for a 4T80E, this method would be a good way to minimize a mess you may make when removing the pan... Of course, after taking the pan off, you will have to remove the drain plug to remove some more in the reservoir... It may be done so in a somewhat controlled manner once the pan is off?? Am I missing something? I don't know much about 4T80E...

Thanks!

The 4T80E is supposed to be a "dry sump" as I was told. Meaning most of the fluid is held in the side cover. That is the reason for the "hidden drain plug". That was not the case when I did my '97. Most of the fluid came out when I dropped the pan. If you try to suck it out of the filler cap, you may only get what's in the side cover. Not sure how far down the tube would go. There may be obstructions in the way, I really am not sure. In either case I never liked that method, since you do not clean the muck off the magnet in the pan, nor do you clean the film off the pan. Since I only do it once in the life of the car (at 100K) I would rather drop the pan. If you are trying to avoid the mess of dropping the pan, I would rather remove the cooler line and pump it out with the trans pump. At least that way, you'll get more fluid out (including the converter).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.