SRC message "Success Stories" - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, SRC message "Success Stories" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The rear sensors are exactly the same as the front (they are all interchangable with eachother). To find the clips ...
    Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: SRC message "Success Stories"

The rear sensors are exactly the same as the front (they are all interchangable with eachother).

To find the clips simply follow the wire. Needle nose pliers are helpful to squease the tabs together with.

To replace the rear sensors you will most likely need to remove the wheels.

Rob_M is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

Thanks dude. Hey, got another question. I was future trippin and figuring what I will do if this doesn't work. I was thinking about the disabling the message proceedure. I was talking to a mechanic from GM and he said that that only diables the message that the strut would give but the height control sensor is completely seperate and could still give the message. Whats the deal here? I thought the proceedure permenantly removed the src message all togeather.

Well it depends on what engine you have. 93 was the conversion year from the 4.9 to the 4.6n*, and between the two the RSS/SSS systems for them worked in slightly different ways. It also depends on what method you're going to use.

The ride height sensors are just variable resistors. If you disconnect all of them from the control arms and leave them plugged in you will not see a code for them (unless one of the rods is pushed in too far or extended too far). Also if you measure the impedance (resistance) in ohms of a 'middle' position for the sensor then attach a power resistor to all four wheels with that impedace (in place of the sensor), the computer will think its just a really smooth road you're on and not put the code up. In order to get that code up, one sensor must be barely sensing anything compared to the other sensors. If you have OEM shocks and struts I do not recommend that you do this though because it will greatly reduce ride quality.

There was another method of getting the SRC message to never come up. In that method you go into "IPC DATA" (I think it was IPC data anyway, please correct me if i'm wrong). Then you input a value on one of the options and after you input the value you unplug the battery to "Fry" that value into the IPC. I don't like that method because nobody knows if it can be reversed and also because you may damage the IPC in the process. If done correctly though you will never see the message again.

sonjaab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Premium

GUYS............There are several posts at http://www.caddyinfo.com
    on how to shut off the SRC/SSS messages on MOST Caddies with
    the simple resistor wire in trick...................

Check the forums and the "how to" or FAQ section(s).................geo

Exclamation Re: SRC message "Success Stories"

Yeah I dont think I'd like to fry anything on my ride either. Hopefully this thing works but I dont have my hopes too high up. I'd love to run out and spend a few G's for a whole new set of everything but it's just not practical. I could just take that few thousand, sell the car for about 5 or 6 G's and get a newer model. I like the 98-02 body style. I'd like a silver one with a black interior. ALthough I just painted mine and she does look pretty sleek and she runs nice. I really think they should have done a recall on this whole src thing. Everyone has the problem with these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab
    GUYS............There are several posts at http://www.caddyinfo.com
    on how to shut off the SRC/SSS messages on MOST Caddies with
    the simple resistor wire in trick...................

Check the forums and the "how to" or FAQ section(s).................geo
    I think that method only works with the cars that have the 4.9 engine.

What engine did yours have Rob_M?
    93 was the conversion year from the 4.9 to the 4.6n*

4.6L Northstar

Guy,mn.usa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

SUCCESS!!!!! My SRC message is now gone and hopefully gone for as long as I own the car.
    My car is a 98 STS I have had the SRC since I bought the car in Jan.
    With the SRC message "on" the car did not do anything weird but the ride felt stiff and you could feel every expantion joint in the road! But in the last 2 weeks all of sudden the back raised up and stayed up...then it would go back down....drive it again it would come up and stay up....
    I thought it must be a ride level sensor so I unplugged the left rear...guess what? It came down and stayed down....plug the level sensor back in right away it came back up and stayed up....so unplug it again...again it stayed down! During this time my SRC message would start to go away when I plugged the sensor in...what the *. Rolling the dice I went a paid 140.00 for a new left ride level sensor...installed it yesterday afternoon and went and got my haircut in the car. NO SRC message anymore!!!! And the car rides soft now over expantion joints...LOVE IT!
    Just a heads up the new ride level sensor arm is spring loaded....the one I took out had a sticky arm movement and did not have any spring feel to it...the part was shot.
    Hope this helps someone to see what I went thru....maybe it will work on yours?
    Great board...great resourse for my Caddy(s)
    Thanks
    Guy

ROB...........Check out the link I provided above.

It worked on my 97 Deville to shut of the SRC message!
    I dumped it soon after for my new 03 !................geo

Hey congrats Guy,mn.usa! Glad to hear it's working out for you. I just got 2 sensors from the junkyard and I plan to plug them in this weekend. Sonjaab, I plan to try that route first before I do the disable proceedure. You did get me wanting an 03 now though, so bad I could puke! If I come in to some cash in the near future, I will be purchasing one and definitely be doing the proceedure like you.

ROB.............I had the 96 almost 7 troublefree years !
    But at the time the only fix was new GM only electric struts
    to the tune of $2500 big ones at the dealer !

Used the trick to fool the computer and shut off the SRC
    message and traded it for the 03 !............geo

Arrow Re: SRC message "Success Stories"

I changed the RF sensor tonight. Not too bad. I'm dreading the doing the rear because I haven't really looked at it yet and when I was changing the tires, I couldnt see the sensor. Any tips on the back would help. I broke one of the clips that slide on to the connector and snap in to the frame. I know I could probably get one of those at Kragen's. I wish I knew the trick to getting them off with out breaking them but there is no room to really get up in there and look at it. It's like they expect the mechanic to be the size of a G.I. Joe doll. Anyways, just tied it to the hole with a piece of wire that was already on it from the junkyard. I snapped everything in to place and so far, so good. I did find a broken line in there and am curious as to what it is. It runs along the frame next to the sensor's cable. Then it drops down in to the right fender and plugs in to this big black plastic ball that's about the size of a softball right below the battery tray. The other end connects to something near my rotor. Any ideas as to what this line is?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_M
    I changed the RF sensor tonight. Not too bad. I'm dreading the doing the rear because I haven't really looked at it yet and when I was changing the tires, I couldnt see the sensor. Any tips on the back would help. I broke one of the clips that slide on to the connector and snap in to the frame. I know I could probably get one of those at Kragen's. I wish I knew the trick to getting them off with out breaking them but there is no room to really get up in there and look at it. It's like they expect the mechanic to be the size of a G.I. Joe doll. Anyways, just tied it to the hole with a piece of wire that was already on it from the junkyard. I snapped everything in to place and so far, so good. I did find a broken line in there and am curious as to what it is. It runs along the frame next to the sensor's cable. Then it drops down in to the right fender and plugs in to this big black plastic ball that's about the size of a softball right below the battery tray. The other end connects to something near my rotor. Any ideas as to what this line is?

Just take off the rear tires and the sensor should be attached to the housing around the shock, you really can't miss it.

The big black plastic ball is a vacuum resovoir, and the line going into it is a vacuum line. You should fix it because it may give you a slightly high idle and make it hard for the vacuum operated doors in the a/c system to open or close.

Thanks Krashed989 for the reply. Do you think I have one on the other side too? Also, what's the trick to getting the clips undone with out breaking them? I just temporarily tied the sensor up with a little piece of wire through the hole that the sensor snaps up in to.

Put the rear one in tonight. Cleared the codes and took her for a spin. So far so good, but I won't be convinced until I go for a few weeks with out it. No SRC codes for the front or rear is still good news though. It was a pain getting them switched out but I just did it like an electrician and fished the line through with some string. I used to see the SRC message everytime immediately if that means anything. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.