Z speed rated 97 STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Z speed rated 97 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by blackfrontier It's nice knowing my 95 STS is Z rated, but I will never push it to ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: Z speed rated 97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrontier
    It's nice knowing my 95 STS is Z rated, but I will never push it to it's limit. The last time I pushed a car past a hundred down an open road caused me two totaled cars when somebody pulled out in front of me and I couldn't stop in time.
    That's not much of an "open road".

Charles

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thats my point. What is open? heading down a rural road late at night (going over 100)and nobody around? A truck pulled out of an hidden side street and I hit the brakes about 50 feet before I saw him(Probably slowed to about 70). I hit him in the side of his pickup bed above the rear wheel. I almost tore that bed clean off! His rear bumper shot off and went through a wooden fence, his canopy shattered and a mountain bike in the bed of his truck looked like a pretzel. My 73 Buick suffered a totaled front end that jammed up the drivers door so I couldn't get out. My car spun off the back of the pickup and went over a curb side ways ruining the suspension and blowing 3 tires. I also ended up going through a wooden fence and came to a stop near a house in their back yard. This was right after I got my drivers license! I havent done that again and havent had a accident or ticket since(20 years now). Be carefull if you screw around behind a wheel. You can never predict what others will do. I suppose on a desert highway with visability for miles would be ok, but you never know for sure.

UNCLEMIKEY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ELDO COUPE

Call me stupid but I do not understand Z rating. Is my 97 eldo 4.6 touring model Z rated ? does it mean it will go over 110 mph? I know in a quarter mile that the local street racers use I have run it up to 110 and let off the gas way before the finish line. all i have done to this beauty is put a set of flowmasters on it now all the stangs around want to race this old man. Sometimes I give em more than they expect from a caddy.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Z rated means your car doesn't have a governor to control your top speed. Look inside your door jam at the tag there. It will give you a letter code. Z rated cars had to have performance tires from the factory that were also Z rated. In theory a Z rated car should go up to its 145-150 MPH limit.

UNCLEMIKEY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ELDO COUPE

Is The Z A Part Of The Vin Number? I Will Look For The Z In The Morning I Have Only Had This Beast Up To 110 And Backed Off Of It So I Don't Really Know If Its Z Rated Or Not. If Its Not Can The Governor Be By Passed Without Too Much Expense?

deabionni is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEMIKEY
    Is The Z A Part Of The Vin Number?
    No. The Z is on the label on the driver's door jam. It's located with the tire information, as it's stating that the car comes equipped with tires with a "Z" speed rating, as seen in the pic below. (Look in the center of the pic).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.