Looking to buy a 93' STS, any advice? First Cadillac here.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Looking to buy a 93' STS, any advice? First Cadillac here. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have never owned a Cadillac and my friend's father is looking to sell his 1993 STS. It has just ...
    ZBrink is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Looking to buy a 93' STS, any advice? First Cadillac here.

I have never owned a Cadillac and my friend's father is looking to sell his 1993 STS. It has just under 50k on the clock and he will let me have it for $4500. I am seriously considering this to get out from under my newer car's high monthly payment.

I am concerned about costly maintenace and repairs though. What problems are associated with this car? Anything I or a mechanic should look for when checking this car out? It has been dealer maintained and looks to be in excellent shape. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

94ETC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Looking to buy a 93' STS, any advice? First Cadillac here.

GO FOR IT!! 300HP, all the luxuries you need, and just under 50K on the clock? ITS A STEEL. It hardly broken in. They have had head gasket issues in the past. But with such low mileage, its nothing to worry about. I have owned many Northstars, and I have never had this issue with any of mine. Seems like its a few that have the problem. But go for it. You will love this car. What are you driving now?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If it has been dealer maintained, then it most likely has had the coolant change when it was supposed to (a big factor in preventing head gasket failure). You can get all the help you need here to keep maintanence costs down if you do your own work. Sounds like a nice car and VERY low milage for a '93.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Go for it and FYI the 93 N* has 295 HP not 300

rfishing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ask to see the maintenance records first. Look specifically for head gasket problems and coolant changes. You want to be sure it has been drained regularly (every 2 years). Head gaskets have been an issue most likely due to poor coolant system maintenance.

Other than that, the shocks if they need to be replaced are very expensive. Dealer will charge you some thing like 2000 dollars for all of them.

Have a professional check it over for you. Just because it has been dealer maintained does not mean it was maintained properly.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

What ^^he said. Or post what the maintenence records say here and we can give you an opinion.

If there are no maintenence records I'd still go for it if it were me even knowing there's a possibility of headgasket issues. Then again I know I can tackle a headgasket job myself, it could end up costing $2k to have it fixed otherwise.

ZBrink is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

The car has the factory maintenance booklet inside the manual. All the pages have been signed, dated and stamped up to the mileage where the car is near now. I'll have to check and see about coolant changes as I didn't look for that before. I remember seeing that the transaxle fluid had been changed at least twice along with many oil changes, chasis lubes and numerous inspections of other systems.

By the way, my friend has let me have the car to drive around for the past few days. The average mileage indicator is telling me REALLY low numbers for the gas mileage. It varies from 8-13 in town and 14-17 on the highway. Tell me this isn't so? What are some realistic mileage expectations? I don't plan on driving it real hard around town and I always set the cruise at 75mph on the interstate.

I am currently driving a 02' Bonneville that I am thinking of selling since this Caddy would cost me half of what I owe on the Bonneville. I am simply concerned about the age of the vehicle and maintenance costs. I am very open to learning how to do the repairs myself.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are those milage numbers "instant" or "average" and was the average just reset? If they were just reset, it will take a while to get a good average. I don't do any city driving but I get about 24-26 (mostly highway). Straight highwway I can get 30 on an SLS. STS would be a bit lower.

Koz
    Koz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stay away! The repairs are astronomical

deabionni is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 Seville STS

At 50K miles, I wouldn't be too concerned about the engine. My '94 has 208,000+ and it still running strong. The engine will last for a long time if you keep it maintained.

The things I'd look at would be the suspention parts. Ball joints, struts, bushings, and other like components are likely to be starting to show signs of wear and tear; and unless you can change these parts yourself, the $$$ will add up fast if these parts are worn.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.