Carbon build up on the intake....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Carbon build up on the intake.... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Last nite I cleaned the TB on my 98 STS that has 130,000. The stuff was an 1/8" thick on ...
    Guy,mn.usa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Carbon build up on the intake....

Last nite I cleaned the TB on my 98 STS that has 130,000. The stuff was an 1/8" thick on the back side of the throttle blade and a 1/8" thick rim of the crap behind the throttle blade!!! Looking down the inside of intake it looked as bad if not worse! So I cleaned the TB up to the intake and boy did the throttle responce pick up when I test drove it!
    Is the paper air filter doing a good enough job keeping the dirt out? Why is this happening? Too much blow by? My car does not use hardly any oil either...
    I'm going to clean the intake too....as there must be a ton of power robbing gunk in the intake....a clean intake will flow so much better I can only imagine how much more the engine will pick up some hp's and run better!!!!Can someone who has removed an intake from the Northstar give me a heads up to how much work this is and what envolved?
    Thanks
    Guy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Carbon build up on the intake....

Forget about the crud on the inside of the manifold; it is only harmless unburned petroleum products that is common to all "dry" intake manifolds (there is no gasoline spray to wash it off). Continue to keep the throttle blade clean every 40,000 to 50,000 miles to prevent a sticky throttle condition at off-idle.

mikeay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

I did this about a month ago.
    I used a plastic scraper to remove the build up. There was so much of it that I could actually stick the scraper in the "cake" and it would stay there. I (as you did) notice the intake was also full of it too. I purchased the gaskets for the throttle body and replaced the intake gaskets as well (they are reusable as well), I just did not want to be stuck without them when putting it back together (if worn) which they were.
    Cleaning the intake was a choir. There is no easy way to clean the inside. TB cleaner only did so much, scraping it was the only way and that was inpossible, unless you have tooth picks for arms. I think it would have been easier to have it hot tanked. Maybe look around for a shop that can do it for you. Take the intake to them. If I knew then what I know now, that's what I would have done.

Anyways, I just used Spray Nine, let it sit for 5 minutes then rinse with hot water. Did that about ten times. Used compressed air to get most of the water out, and let it sit over night. By morning it was bone dry.

My clean tank has non flamable cleaning solution or simple green would work. I think it would increase flow if it were cleaned up. I would never put down a intake that is this bad on my 68 gto....it would kill my port/port match work that I have done to the RPM intake I use. I think my N* would really pick up if it were clean...what causes this to happen to the intake?

I have a really long tappered bristle brush...pickup a hardware store. I used it on my RPM after I ported it. I think hot tanking it might warp it. Maybe I'll port match it since I have it off already.

Mike how did the run after you cleaned the intake?

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

interesting post. Where are the throttle blades located and do you have to remove anything to get to them?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Pay attention to JimD. What you are seeing in the intake is coming from the PCV. Clean it and it will be back in short order. Don't waste your time. Clean the TB yearly and it will be much easier.

Blackfrontier,
    I assume you are talking about a Northstar, you don't say, (4.9 is a little different). You need to remove the intake ducting and MAF sensor. Throttle plate is inside the TB bore (much like the lower portion of a carb). Do a search. It has been discussed many times. I think there are some posts with pics in the Tech Tips section.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thanks RANGER. I was talking about a Northstar motor in my 95 STS.

Guy,mn.usa
    Honestly, I did not notice a difference (performance wise). The TB was sticking, thats why I started to clean it, and didn't stop. I did also notice the (see attached) red arrows on the left were almost pluged from the inside. I did not see the restrictions from outside with the tubes pulled off, pipe cleaner did the trick there. This is what I observed.
    The arrow on the far right - this is a spring loaded flap. It was extremely "caked" up. I'm not exactly sure what it does but, it's in fine flapping order now.

I did notice there was no more puff's of smoke coming out the exhaust when I floored it.

It also appears to excelerate smoother.

Those tubes you indicated are where various vacuum lines are connected.

The flapper you talk about at the front is an over pressurization valve. Basically a spring loaded trap door. In the event of an overpressurization (backfire), it is forced open and the pressure is relieved rather than blowing up the intake.

Ranger
    Thanks for the clarification.

Would it make sence that the various vacuum line connections on the intake would become pluged? I do recall using a flash light to see if I could "see the light at the end of the tunnel", but I was unable to. I guess over time this would be possible without proper maintenance. I think now that I have it cleaned up, the WOT's would now be part of my preventitive maintenance schedule to stop this kind of build up in the future. I don't think (aside from my cleaning efforts) WOT's or fuel additives would have cleared that out. Am I wrong?

Appologies, not my post, but I think it's relevant.

I have never heard of the vacuum ports becoming clogged and would not expect it as the inside of the manifold is usually nothing more than an oily residue.

Remember, the WOT proceedure is to clean out the combustion chamber. It does nothing for the intake manifold or TB.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.