1996 Eldorado Fuel Pump Diagnosis Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1996 Eldorado Fuel Pump Diagnosis Help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The other night my Eldorado died at a stop light. The engine cranks and sparks -No fuel pressure though which ...
    black96eldoetc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 1996 Eldorado Fuel Pump Diagnosis Help!

The other night my Eldorado died at a stop light. The engine cranks and sparks -No fuel pressure though which leads me to the fuel pump. The fuse and the relay for the fuel pump are both good. The next thing I wanted to check was the wiring to the fuel pump without having to drop the tank.
    I own a 2 volume service manual (GMP96EK) for my 1996 Cadillac Eldorado which I had purchased from HELM a few years ago. Now many years later I am having a fuel system problem. The issue is that when I reference the section pertaining to the FUEL SYSTEM the index lists SECTION 6C in book number 2, the problem is that SECTION 6C does not exist exist in either book 1 or 2. My Book 2 contains section 6B, followed by section 6D. Section 6C was truncated despite it being referenced in the index, In all these years of owning these books I have first noticed this issue since a fuel problem has developed. Well after an exhaustive search I think I found the wire harness feed leading to the fuel pump under the center of the back seat.
    The problem is that I have no schematic/diagram of the fuel pump circuit to test it for power. Does anyone know more about these wires? A fuel system schematic would help immensely, but just the colors of the fuel pump power, and sending unit wires would work as well. I've read elsewhere in this forum that these wires are prone to failure. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1996 Eldorado Fuel Pump Diagnosis Help!

FYI After researching through the fuse block detail, The book listed gray as a possible fuel wire color. There were two gray wires in the trunk feed, one heavy 10 gauge and another smaller gauge wire. I took the chance with the heavier one and tested it with my test light. I guess I guessed correctly because with the key in run it the bulb lights for 2 seconds and goes out. Also the bulb is on when the key is in the cranking position just as the PCM protocol requires. I now know the PCM and the wiring up to that point is not the culprit. The tank comes off tomorrow! I wonder if it is a dead motor or shorted wiring from the connector to the motor/sending unit. I experianced no fluctuations in the fuel gauge readings. I will post another followup. P.S. A new AC fuel pump from GM with the sending unit lists at $462.11 + tax and wholesales for 323.49 + tax.....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

All indications point to a dead fuel pump.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Right. You can usually hear it running if you just turn the key on.... if you can't hear it, that's probably not good.

caddypete is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You might want to check this listing on Ebay before purchasing your pump,for a thrid of the price it may be worth it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADIL...QQcmdZViewItem

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I replaced the one in my Blazer a few years ago with an AC new part. It lasted a little longer than the 1 yr warranty! Friends in the business have been recommending aftermarket in some areas. Fuel pump is one. Remember...these are all opinions based on limited (even if you are a professional mechanic) experience. Your actual experience will vary.

Anyway, I would't hesitate to get an aftermarket but think I would only go new. The rebuilt one on ebay might have a new pump in the old module. I'd still be leary of it unless I was sure.

Zonie,
    In years past I had 3 Blazers. I replaced fuel pumps in those things more often than plugs (or anything else for that matter). Each one had it replaced twice and the last one was ready for the third when I traded back to the dealer I bought it from. Like you, one lasted just 13 months. Some were OEM and some where aftermarket. GM never would admit a problem but it was obvious to me that there was one (no one is that unlucky). I always suspected the high fuel pressure (60 psi) on the Vortec. Never went back to a Blazer or Chevy again.

I should have invited you over to replace the last one. HA! It was a real PITA.

Thanks, but no thanks. Been there, done that.

I might have sweetened the deal...got a couple of beers in the garage!

Well I didn't get the tank out today got tied up with other things to do. Anyway, I'm trying to figure how to drain off at least some of the fuel since the tank is 3/4 full. That 96 E/K GM service manual actually mentions a tank draining procedure of some sort, but they left it out of the book again??? I was hoping to avoid the gasoline bath scenario if possible. I tried use a siphon but the inlet hose has too many turns it to reach it or it may have an anti-siphon baffle.

Anyway, I am going to buy a new aftermarket pump. I cannot see the sense in buying another AC which failed at 66K with no improvement in it's design. After searching the web I found several brands of new aftermarket pumps. Carter, Delphi, Airtek, KEM and others all sell new pump modules for this car. They vary in price from $180.00 - $330.00. I like KEM parts the most. I personally never had any problems with their parts. but I haven't found one for less than $300.00. KEM sells a pump motor rebuild kit (EFP10988K) alone for the module, but I found no one online who stocks or prices it. The best deal I found was the company DirectAuto.COM, they sell the pump motor alone for $44.95 along with a lifetime warranty! Another interesting thing I found was Carter markets a heavy duty tank wire harness (888544) for that pump for around 15 bucks. I WONDER WHY!!! I'll probably go the route of 45 dollar LT pump motor with the Carter harness for assurance, but I'll wait until I remove it first for inspection. Thanks to everyone for your replies -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    I might have sweetened the deal...got a couple of beers in the garage!
    You'll have to do better than that, I'm not a beer drinker. Now if you have some good cigars and Grey Goose I'll be on the first flight in the morning

If I would't have replaced it already I'd buy two bottles..one for us to drink here and one for you to take back! That's what a pain it was! I could probably dig up a cigar or two.

STS-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How did you get the fuel out of the tank

Who are you asking? In my case I dropped the tank and poured it out after it was down. Most tanks do have an anti-siphon valve BTW.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.